Any info appreciated - thinking of registering but dont know if house suitable
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any info appreciated - thinking of registering but dont know if house suitable

Hi all

I'm currently working as a supply teacher and have a 5 year old son who is 6 in june. I am HATING the stress of teaching at the mo and have been thinking of childminding for a few years. Myself and my partner have just bought and moved into our first house so am now seriously considering it but could anybody answer a few questions i have?? i'd be really grateful

thie first prob i have is there is no direct parking outside my house, we have a parking space out the back but this is through the garden and down an alley so not suitable. there are double yellows out the front with parking spaces in front of the houses 2 doors down. I also have quite a few concrete steps leading from the road up to my front door. What would i do about this problem?? i would be hoping to take on two little ones a day if possible with my own son too, if i had two little ones how would i get them down the steps and into the car safely for trips and school runs? is this a totally stupid question?? also how risky would it be carrying them up and down concrete steps when going in and out of the house? would this put parents off? would the house even be approved?? any advice/comments welcome

other questions...

any ideas roughly how long it might take from start to finish with the registration process?? i havnt been to any pre reg briefings or anything, just looking in to it to see if its possible at the mo

also is there much help out the with writing policies and what paperwork you have to keep? looks complicated, am used to teaching paperwork, planning and assessing and things but think childminding is a whole other ball game.

Sorry for all the questions

oh...last one i promise.....the house itself...i know it has to be safe and suitable but what does this actually entail? lock on cupboard door and stair gates obvioulsy but what about table corners, electril fireplaces, wooded floors etc?? any info welcome

Thanks for you time

L x x x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya,

I'm not sure i can help much as i'm not registered yet myself but will pass on the advice i have been given

I attended a briefing session yesterday and was given lots of information and contacts for help with all the paperwork side. Plus this forum is the BEST place for help on anything and everything!

I also had lots of questions about my home and suitability but the resounding answer to most of my questions is "what do you think?" I thought the briefing session leader was being awkward lol I think what she was getting at was Ofsted do not stipulate anything as mandatory you just have to show you have thought about it, risk assessed it and then can justify anything you have/haven't put in place.

Sorry if thats very vague but i hope you get what i'm trying to say!

Oh and about the off street parking we were advising to contact your councils planning department, they will offer advice with things like that.

I'm sure someone else will be along to with more help soon,

Kate

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollyr82 View Post
    Hi all

I'm currently working as a supply teacher and have a 5 year old son who is 6 in june. I am HATING the stress of teaching at the mo and have been thinking of childminding for a few years. Myself and my partner have just bought and moved into our first house so am now seriously considering it but could anybody answer a few questions i have?? i'd be really grateful

thie first prob i have is there is no direct parking outside my house, we have a parking space out the back but this is through the garden and down an alley so not suitable. there are double yellows out the front with parking spaces in front of the houses 2 doors down. I also have quite a few concrete steps leading from the road up to my front door. What would i do about this problem?? i would be hoping to take on two little ones a day if possible with my own son too, if i had two little ones how would i get them down the steps and into the car safely for trips and school runs? is this a totally stupid question?? also how risky would it be carrying them up and down concrete steps when going in and out of the house? would this put parents off? would the house even be approved?? any advice/comments welcome I wouldnt be overly concerned re parking - as long as you make any potential parents/collectors etc aware that they may need to park in alternative (down the road?? etc) As for steps, you would need to do a risk assessment on this - identify possible problems and think of ways to work around it. Im sure there are a few people on here who live in flats and so have more than a few steps to get up and down so although, like I said you would need to address it in terms of risk, it shouldnt affect registration as such

other questions...

any ideas roughly how long it might take from start to finish with the registration process?? i havnt been to any pre reg briefings or anything, just looking in to it to see if its possible at the mo I had my briefing session in July and was registered by November - I did rush alot of it through myself such as chasing up phone calls for forms etc but this is totally dependant on area - I know it can vary hugely

also is there much help out the with writing policies and what paperwork you have to keep? looks complicated, am used to teaching paperwork, planning and assessing and things but think childminding is a whole other ball game. We had NO HELP at all re paperwork and pretty much went into it blind, luckily I stumbled across this site and the Bromley site and so have devised most of my paperwork from that. I have also registered now with Noble Minder (who if you put in the search you will find info about) I think for me they are going to be very helpful in terms of paperwork

oh...last one i promise.....the house itself...i know it has to be safe and suitable but what does this actually entail? lock on cupboard door and stair gates obvioulsy but what about table corners, electril fireplaces, wooded floors etc?? any info welcome Unfortunately in terms of OFSTED this question is a bit like how long is a piece of string!! I already had cupboard locks, stair gates, table ends etc etc as my DD was 18 months when I started, however when Mrs O came she told me it wasnt necessary and that I should show common sense and include in risk assessments etc, I do know other local minders tho that have been told they must have gates up! I think this totally depends on the inspector you get - I do think to an extent its common sense - eg if you know you have an 18 month old crawler who can access stairs one day then maybe risk assess that you will have a gate available for that day....that sort of thing - I hope i havent confused you even more!! Like I said below - Im sure someone lots and lots cleverer than me will be along to help soon!!!

Thanks for you time

L x x x
    Hi hun, Ive tried to add some answers in above - however, Im fairly new and sure someone with much more knowledge will come along soon!! One thing to remember is it is so different in each area. I am in Derbyshire, East Mids and the answers Ive put in were what happened with me. xxx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome!

Am in a hurry right now but will be back later by which time some of the other experienced minders will probably have helped you!

There's a way round most things with risk assessments in place so don't panic yet
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all

thie first prob i have is there is no direct parking outside my house, we have a parking space out the back but this is through the garden and down an alley so not suitable. there are double yellows out the front with parking spaces in front of the houses 2 doors down. I only have double yellow lines for parents to park n, keeps drop off and pick ups nice and quick! I also have quite a few concrete steps leading from the road up to my front door. What would i do about this problem?? I also have steps, I can get the pram up and down them and could manage one or two mindees without pram safely depending on age, it hasnt been a problem for parents. You have to risk assess for yourself, all Ofsted will want to know is how you manage the riski would be hoping to take on two little ones a day if possible with my own son too, if i had two little ones how would i get them down the steps and into the car safely for trips and school runs? is this a totally stupid question?? Thats what you have to explain to Ofsted! Def not a stupid question. DO you have a back door you could use?also how risky would it be carrying them up and down concrete steps when going in and out of the house? would this put parents off? would the house even be approved?? any advice/comments welcome

other questions...

any ideas roughly how long it might take from start to finish with the registration process?? i havnt been to any pre reg briefings or anything, just looking in to it to see if its possible at the mo Allow 9 months but call the FIS for a briefing session now if you are interested, all you have lost is an evening if you decide against it

also is there much help out the with writing policies and what paperwork you have to keep? looks complicated, am used to teaching paperwork, planning and assessing and things but think childminding is a whole other ball game.You will get help on the course you will do and there is a fab website called Bromley Childminding with lots you can use

oh...last one i promise.....the house itself...i know it has to be safe and suitable but what does this actually entail? lock on cupboard door and stair gates obvioulsy but what about table corners, electril fireplaces, wooded floors etc?? any info welcome You assess the risk and decide how to minimise it. You dont need stairgates unless thats what you think is required and you cant see any other way to keep children safe. Fire will need a guard incase the kids can get to the buttons I imagine but again its down to the risk assessment. My table still has the corners!

Thanks for you time

L x x x

Hope that is of some use!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

hi all, thanks so much for the replies/advice i'm still quite concerned about the steps, totally understand what you all mean by saying as long as i can find a way to transport the children up and down the steps safely and put something in the risk assessment its fine but i still have no idea how i'm going to do this if i were to have 2 little pre walkers. I'm pretty sure they wouldnt be happy if i were to say i was going to carry them both down the steps together but i couldnt say that i was planning on leaving one (safely) in the house while i take the other down the steps?? couldnt get a pram down the steps either.....arghhhh nightmare. surely there must be a way?? lol

i called the local council today and they said there is a pre reg meeting on march 30th in my area so am booking my place tomorrow yay!!

thanks again for your help x x x

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

keep a single buggy at the bottom of the steps and one safely at the top. Strap one child at bottom, take one up and strap at top, collect bottom child and pop into car, collect top child.

I can't get a buggy up my door steps and through my front door but have a system that works now and as the ages of the children change it does get easier. You may not have 2 non walkers as mostly reg. for 1 under 1 at once. It's the runners that worry me more!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Rachelle, cant fit a buggy on the top of the steps but could put one of the little ones in a travel cot whilst i get the other strapped in the car and then come back and get the other one, that has to be acceptable right? surely everyone has to get them in one at a time if they have 2 pre walkers??

Thanks x

Post Thanks / Like

hi all, thanks so much for the replies/advice i'm still quite concerned about the steps, totally understand what you all mean by saying as long as i can find a way to transport the children up and down the steps safely and put something in the risk assessment its fine but i still have no idea how i'm going to do this if i were to have 2 little pre walkers. I'm pretty sure they wouldnt be happy if i were to say i was going to carry them both down the steps together but i couldnt say that i was planning on leaving one (safely) in the house while i take the other down the steps?? couldnt get a pram down the steps either.....arghhhh nightmare. surely there must be a way?? lol
    Oh this brings back memories..........
    I have twins, and used to live in a 2nd floor flat, with outside concrete steps up to the front door. Loverly

I worried constantly what I was going to do with them.
    Cant be much help to you though................................... I moved!!! lol
    Weeze x

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok if they're non walkers what about set a pram up at the bottom of the steps for one or make it a double pram for two and then leave one in a travel cot/cradle while you strap one in then get the other for the second, so long as everything is visible through the door. Or if one non walker one toddler slings can be used to carry one down and toddler on a wrist strap? I wouldnt leave one in a cot to strap one into a car if your car isn't going to be right outside your front door?