development worker been...interesting visit!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up development worker been...interesting visit!!

Hi, ive just had the regional development worker over for an informal chat before ofsted arrive and i think it went well. She gave me some new info but didnt give me any reg pack i was expecting with the disc in.

Ive been reading the posts on this forum for a while now and things seem to vary a lot. For example, she said id have to register as a food business which i was expecting and then told me they WOULD NOT visit and if they did i was to refuse them entry and ring her to report them!!! They sometimes try to visit all new businesses but as a childminder and such a small business then it wasnt a legal requirement and i was within my rights to refuse them! Also i may get people my at door trying to flog me hygiene products quoting legal stuff but again i was to refuse!

Thankfully my garden steps were judged to be ok but i need a fence along the one side as the low wall and wire fence attop is a climbing childs dream, lol.
    She also said she only knew of one person who attempted registration 3 times to be failed on all occasions so not to worry!! I feel much better now
    Next step is to get all my forms filled in and await my ofsted phone call.

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck im sure you will be fine, any questions or anythng your not sure of ask your ofsted inspector if they want it get it if not dont etc... it all depends where you live too xxx

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, I had mine today as well at 1.20pm. it was a lot better than I expected.

She couldnt pull me up on anything and as I've done all my RA's and policies she said, "get your forms sent in". But then told me it could be 12wks before registering! argghhhhh wanted to be up and running by the end of April.

She asked me about reigtsering for Food Business but never said anything about not having to have them come inside at all. Interesting.

Bring on Ofsted now tee heee

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by braichey View Post
    Hi, ive just had the regional development worker over for an informal chat before ofsted arrive and i think it went well. She gave me some new info but didnt give me any reg pack i was expecting with the disc in.

Ive been reading the posts on this forum for a while now and things seem to vary a lot. For example, she said id have to register as a food business which i was expecting and then told me they WOULD NOT visit and if they did i was to refuse them entry and ring her to report them!!! They sometimes try to visit all new businesses but as a childminder and such a small business then it wasnt a legal requirement and i was within my rights to refuse them! Also i may get people my at door trying to flog me hygiene products quoting legal stuff but again i was to refuse!

Thankfully my garden steps were judged to be ok but i need a fence along the one side as the low wall and wire fence attop is a climbing childs dream, lol.
    She also said she only knew of one person who attempted registration 3 times to be failed on all occasions so not to worry!! I feel much better now
    Next step is to get all my forms filled in and await my ofsted phone call.
    The thing to do is when you Register as a Food Business choose a random name nothing to do with Childminding. When you register your name and address are put on a publically accessable list and I didn't want to be identified as a cm. As for people knocking on the door I have been registered as a Food Business for nearly 3yrs and have never had a knock on the door and nor have I heard of that happening. As log as you are registered with the Postal Preference Service you won't get any mail either.

I don't think you can refuse an inspection. It depends on the area wether you will have a visit or not. In our area, when we first reg they did 4 inspections (there are about 50 cms) and ahve never done another one! I think most areas do give a call to book a visit because they know we are often out. You might want to get the Folder from the Food Standards, Better Food Better Business, it is designed for childminders and is what most of us follow.

http://search.food.gov.uk/search?sit...11&submit.y=11