Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great day so far but.....

my little mindee won't eat! (

He's 12mths and his mum knows he doesn't eat much, I offered him toast and milk for morning snack, he nibbled the top corner and that was it. Then lunch I offered him tom. pasta, which he refused, wouldn't even try it, just kept turning his face away and pushing my hands away....offered him breadsticks, he just threw them, banana - squashed and threw it lol. Gave him some cheese on toast that my little boy didn't want and he pulled it to bits and threw it! lol oh, he did have a couple of tiny mouthfuls of fromage frais. His mum but a fruit smoothie in his bag which is wolfed down in his cup but surely thats not going to be good for his teeth??
    I said I wouldn't stress cause it's not all on me to feed him and as long as I offer things is that all I can do??

Thanks xx

Post Thanks / Like

What does he eat at home?

Is everything mushed down? Maybe he doesn't like textures or lumps.

I'd ask mum to supply his food for a week so you can see what he's eating at home and what consistency it's served at.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She's given a list of things he likes at home but I can't imagine him eating any of those tbh...he doesn't seem to really know what to do with food. Even putting the spoon near him with fromage frais which is ultra smooth he doesn't really know to open his mouth. She said they were doing baby led weaning but when I put whole things he just chucks them. I'll see how I get on the next 2 days (just in case it's because it's all new aswell) and if no improvement I'll ask her to supply what he likes for abit...thats a good idea - thankyou ) He won't even drink cows milk though...little sips here and there...argghhh lol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Is he still having lots of milk then?

Maybe they just haven't tried him with much solid food

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

no, she cut out BF and he only has a night-time feed now so he hardly drinks cows milk and hardly eats....think I'm just gonna have to persevere? xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    "GOOD"
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds just likeone of my mindees he is also 12months, some days he will eat but most days he won't, mum provides his food, mum has said he is the same at home too, he will eat his breakfast without a problem mind he has 2 whole weatabix's & a bottle of milk so think he is just not hungry at lunchtime but by the time we get back from school run at 3.30 he is hungry but if I offered a snack before we left after he ash woken say at 2pm he won't eat.
    Not sure how he will cope as he leaving to go to nursery soon as they will have a set time for lunch. He is a big boy too.

Shirl

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How long has he been with you? If he's new could it be because it's new surroundings. My DS is into everything and life is sometimes just too short to spend time eating! I try not to worry because he may have a day or two of not eating much, then he more than makes up for it.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All you can do is keep offerring. My daughter is a rubbish eater at 20 months and it is frustrating, but just perservere.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Then lunch I offered him tom. pasta, which he refused, wouldn't even try it, just kept turning his face away and pushing my hands away
    This behaviour would tell me that he simply isn't hungry, so I would get him down from the highchair and forget about lunch. ( Maybe he eats a bit later at home?)

I would of course offer a substantial healthy snack within an hour or so but probably wouldn't give him a sugar/acid laden fruit smoothie unless he'd eaten.

Just a thought, but if mum does baby led weaning does she perhaps feed him from her own plate? Perhaps you could sit eating something and offer him a little of that straight into his mouth? You could always have a little dish on your plate for him so the food didn't 'touch' or anything.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have one like this, he is full time.
    He was fine untill 9 months but ever since has refused to eat anything! He holds one spoonfull in his mouth for about an hour and a half untill he swollows it. He is 22 months now, for the past three weeks he has been refusing drink also to the point I have to sqeeze some into his mouth as he can't go without any fluid all day.

Tried everything he eats 4 month baby jars at home but won't eat them here.
    At our wits end to be honest, so lathargic he never wants to do anything, nappies are rotton and he sits fiddling with his fingers most of the day.
    But he is happy iyswim!

Mum refuses to see someone about it, she likes the attention again iyswim.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

DD does this when she is teething - it's usually the first clue we have that another one is on it's way (BLW here too) - so just keep offering the food.

We've also noticed that if we try to spoon feed her anything then she doesn't open her mouth - it's as if she only knows to do it when she's holding the food herself.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinky33 View Post
    We have one like this, he is full time.
    He was fine untill 9 months but ever since has refused to eat anything! He holds one spoonfull in his mouth for about an hour and a half untill he swollows it. He is 22 months now, for the past three weeks he has been refusing drink also to the point I have to sqeeze some into his mouth as he can't go without any fluid all day.

Tried everything he eats 4 month baby jars at home but won't eat them here.
    At our wits end to be honest, so lathargic he never wants to do anything, nappies are rotton and he sits fiddling with his fingers most of the day.
    But he is happy iyswim!

Mum refuses to see someone about it, she likes the attention again iyswim.

I would seek advice from the HV on this as it comes across as neglect if the mum refuses to do anything! they are health care proffessionals, a 22 month old should not be eating 4 mth baby jars!

Not having a go at you, just cross at parent , my little charge is 22 months and eats everything I do at lunch time!

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

HV is trying to deal with all the issues so fingers crossed.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Im having a situation like this at the mo, not sure how to handle it as my kids have been great eaters.

Mindee is very hard to feed, gags very easily and sometimes puts her fingers in her own throat and is sick. Very distressing for both of us.

Mindee so constipated, hardly drinks ( keeps throwing the cup) and doesnt really like milk in the bottle that much either. Poos are so massive (wide) and hard like rocks I thought the poor thing was going to have to go to hospital one of the days, I had to literally help get the poo out with a wipe. I was really distressed.

I mentioned to parents, but I think they are feeding mainly the powdered baby food that you add water to.

Mindee is now 1 year old and will eat selected things, the fave is mashed banana, but if one little bit gets stuck she gags and makes herself retch until she is sick

I really want to encourage more fresh fruit, veg and fibre into mindees diet, but feel like it wont be followed up at home as after every weekend the poor mite is so blocked with hard, massive almost powdered lumps of poo.

must be so uncomfortable, and Im worried it might cause long term damage.

Mindee also not crawling/ walking and can sit but can not roll or sit up from lying position.

should I be concerned and how long do I leave it before I have a chat with parents to say Im concerned. ( had mindee for nearly 3 months)

Its so hard when they are SO different from your own children.

Also, I dont want to panic parents unecessarily and trying to plan how best to gently try and encourage the next steps with the food and nutrition as I dont think a 1 year old should be eating pureed and mashed food, but everyone is different.

thanks

Sara

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if he is new hon, I wouldn't worry to much at this stage. he may just not be comfortable enough to eat yet. keep offering snacks etc but the mealtime refusal goes on and he's with you all day several days a week I'd keep offerering meals at different times to see if he's hungry earlier/later and work around it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks,

Im going to stop stressing and just do what I can.

Little mindee ate 1/2 a mashed banana as sweet as a nut today with some lumps in and didnt gag. Im going to try some baby led weaning ideas, cooked carrot sticks, brocolli etc and just try to have fun instead of getting stressed.

I just always worry when little ones wont eat!!

Just chiiiiiiill is my motto for this week!!

x