Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Infection control ...

Maybe a bit odd question ... but what can happen (from legal point of view ie Ofsted) if a childminder doesn't follow sickeness policy?
    I have this friend of mine who openly admits that her lo has a bug and still minds and drags her to toddler groups. Today a mindee had a diarrhoea and she just happened to mention it ... I pointed out she shouldn't have taken her ... but she said the parent called and asked if it's still ok to bring her and she said yes.
    Now ... I'm not going to grass her anywhere but I pointed out the 48 hour rule but she was surprised we were expected to follow it ... I was more shocked she didn't know it existed.
    I did warn her not to come near me when she has it as last time she did (just before Christmas) I spent a week washing the bedding and mopping the floors as everybody in my home got it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Infection control ...

The Eyfs says we have a legal duty to keep children healthy.

So if she is failing in this she is breaking the law.

Hth

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats awfall, how would she feel if you went to a group and one child gave your child diarrhea, i know i wouldnt be happy, as it will go to all other people in my care or family.
    I WISH IN 2011 TO BE A SKINNY COW,,,,,,,,,,,, MY PICTURE,,,

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why oh why are some people like this.
    I shut up shop when my child has a temp (bear in mind she has febrile convultions on reg basis)
    I know a childminder who refused to have a minded child when they had a sickness bug but carried on minding when one of her had it. Go figure?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe print off a copy of the WHO poster for exclusion and take it and stick it on the wall at the toddler group - I suspect she's not the only one.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How sad that she is doing this job but doesn't even know about the 48 hour rule

Sep '09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exclusion policy covering immunisations

Can I ask something here on this thread? sorry I am new to this forum and I don't know how to start a new thread!!

Do any of you include, on your sickness policy as one of your exclusions, immunisations, so for example if a child is having their MMR they should then be excluded from your setting for 24 hours after the vaccination. I have been told by another childminder (who has been a childminder for 15 years)that this should be on the exclusions list because of the fact that vaccinations are "live" so the child gets a real dose of the disease they are being vaccinated against. If you have a child in your care who is not immunised so in this example, a child who is younger then the one having the MMR, then theoretically they are being exposed to Mumps/Measles/Rubella.

I have a child in my care who is due her MMR next week and don't know whether the parent should be bringing her the next day or not, especially when I have an 8 month old in my care on that same day. I can't find any info on this on NHS direct or on the communicable diseases list from the Health Protection Agency. Please advise!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debmcstay View Post
    Can I ask something here on this thread? sorry I am new to this forum and I don't know how to start a new thread!!

Do any of you include, on your sickness policy as one of your exclusions, immunisations, so for example if a child is having their MMR they should then be excluded from your setting for 24 hours after the vaccination. I have been told by another childminder (who has been a childminder for 15 years)that this should be on the exclusions list because of the fact that vaccinations are "live" so the child gets a real dose of the disease they are being vaccinated against. If you have a child in your care who is not immunised so in this example, a child who is younger then the one having the MMR, then theoretically they are being exposed to Mumps/Measles/Rubella.

I have a child in my care who is due her MMR next week and don't know whether the parent should be bringing her the next day or not, especially when I have an 8 month old in my care on that same day. I can't find any info on this on NHS direct or on the communicable diseases list from the Health Protection Agency. Please advise!!
    I found this info for you

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/MMR/Pag...roduction.aspx

Seems there is no need to exclude

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't exclude for immunisations but when i worked at nursey they did exclude for 24hrs for every new type of medication incase of a reaction, maybe this is what they are getting mixed up with.
    regarding the sickness policy yes they should be following it as Sarah says it is a legal obligation, im just annoyed that 'some' parents don't have the same obligation!!

Penny1959 Guest

If this is a friend I would be having a serious discussion with her about the risks to others - especially those with other serious medical conditions.

It is just not acceptable to go somewhere like a toddler group as for some people to get D + V it can make them very ill (me for example - I am diabetic)

Does you LA have any infection control guidelines? If so remind her of them - if not maybe you could look at the one Worcestershire LA has on their website www.worcestershire.gov.uk/eycs - click on information for providers then infection control guidelines - and then say to her look at this that I have come across - it is really good - I am going to give all parents a copy - would you like some for your parents/ (you can print the exclusion pages - this is what I do)

Or could you have a word with your DO and ask them to do something - such as a reminder letter or an article in their next newsletter - to all - as others most likely need reminding.

Penny

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a sickness exclusion notice for her ... with some nice graphics on. I took out my laminator and laminated it all nicely (she doesn't have one). Gave it to her all ready saying she should put it by the front door so she can point to it and parents can read it. She said ... 'Oh how nice of you. Thank you. I'll put it there when I know Ofsted is is comming.' ...

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
    I found a sickness exclusion notice for her ... with some nice graphics on. I took out my laminator and laminated it all nicely (she doesn't have one). Gave it to her all ready saying she should put it by the front door so she can point to it and parents can read it. She said ... 'Oh how nice of you. Thank you. I'll put it there when I know Ofsted is is comming.' ...
    That is a shame - and just shows she is aware - just choosing to take no notice.

She is lucky to have a friend who tries to help and support - not sure if I would be so supportive once I knew she was breaking the law knowingly.

Penny

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

to the vaccine question - it's not live; polio used to be years ago - but not anymore.

48 hrs seems a bit steep btw, it's 24 here.
    Deb X