* How long does it last?

Any other advice welcomed

Many thanks
    Clorogue

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My son will be 16 in June - advice re CRB

Before my sons turned 16 Ofsted automatically sent the forms out for me to complete. The forms are returned to Ofsted & they deal with it all. If you're in England I think the CRB lasts for as long as you're minding. None of my boys have ever had to re-do them for Ofsted, though they have had to apply for them again for jobs they've done.

Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Yes, as above, you don't have to pay and at present they don't need repeating at intervals, but i'd give ofsted a ring and have the correct form ready to send off just in case they don't do it automatically

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi my daughter turned 16 in October, Ofsted sent the forms out a couple of days after her birthday, the crb process started on the 26th November and is still not complete

We never had to pay a penny and as far as I know it doesn't have to be re-done at all.

HTH x x x
    Is it Friday yet?

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When my daughter turned 16 18 months ago we checked the ofsted website and applied for the forms to be sent to us. They were quite quick coming, no costs and we got the CRB pretty much just after her 16th birthday. I wouldn't wait for Ofsted to do anything automatically - I would get the ball rolling a couple of months before her birthday.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much - your are all wonderful!
    Clorogue

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what the Ofsted fact sheet says on the subject:

CRB checks on children on domestic premises who turn 16In terms of initiating CRB checks when a child turns 16 years of age within a childminder’s household, or in childcare on domestic premises, our position is as follows:

All people aged 16 and over, living or working in households where childminding or childcare on domestic premises is provided, must be suitable to be in regular contact with children

We are responsible for carrying out any necessary checks and making the suitability decision, as childminders and others providing childcare on domestic premises are not entitled to obtain an enhanced CRB check for their own household members.
    We ask applicants for registration as childminders and childcare on domestic premises to give us information about household members, including the dates of birth of all their children under16 years of age. We also expect these providers to notify us of any changes to people living in their households. We require this information so that we can make sure that when a person in a household turns 16, we take steps to carry out a CRB check on them. Inspectors will check at each inspection whether there are any children about to turn 16 years of age, or who have turned 16 since the last inspection, and to establish whether any new people have joined the household.
    We expect all registered childminders and childcare providers on domestic premises, to tell us about changes to members of their household. However, we do not expect
    10 Existing Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks
    such providers to tell us when a member of their household reaches their 16th birthday. This is why we ask inspectors to check, before the inspection, whether any people recorded on our system as household members have turned 16, or are about to do so.
    Where we find that a member of the household has turned 16, we will not penalise the childminder or childcare provider for not telling us, as long as the provider had told us that the individual was a member of their household. However, we may take action against a childminder or provider of childcare on domestic premises if they have failed to notify us of a new household member.
    We only regard legal requirements about household members as not met if:

the person we are attempting to check fails to respond to our requests to undergo a CRB check; or

if the childminder or childcare provider on domestic premises has failed to notify us of a new person joining or leaving the household, including the birth of a new baby.
    If, during an inspection, we have reason to believe that a childminder or childcare provider on domestic premises has withheld information from us, or has failed to inform us of a change to their household members, then this is a breach of legal requirements and will prompt an inspection judgement of ‘inadequate’ for safeguarding. In such cases, we will consider taking formal enforcement action against the provider as failure to notify us is also an offence.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't wait for Ofsted to automatically send the forms, I would request them. I waited for my sons, only to be told when I enquired why they hadn't arrived that they had no record of my son strange considering I had been minding for 10 years and had at least 3 inspections by then

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    I wouldn't wait for Ofsted to automatically send the forms, I would request them. I waited for my sons, only to be told when I enquired why they hadn't arrived that they had no record of my son strange considering I had been minding for 10 years and had at least 3 inspections by then

same here I phoned in October to say my son was 16yrs in November.........no problem we will automatically send them out on his birthday lets just check his details.................they had no record of him at all although I have been minding 14yrs!!
    They took down the details and I confirmed them in an e-mail as requested.
    After xmas I phoned as I still had not had the form...............guess what ......................they had no record of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

here in Wales the CSSIW pay but they have to be renewed every 3 years and you have to phone the CRB to send you the forms to renew them

Cathy