Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear facing car seats

I've got a 14 month old mind who has dwarfism. I am in a dilemma fitting all the kids in various car seats in my Volvo xc90.

I found a very helpful lady in America who advised me that because Z is achondroplasia he should be in a rear facing car seat as long as possible. At the moment he is in his maxi-cosi baby car seat but does anyone have rear facing car seats for the older ones they can recommend?

I am not sure it's something his parents have thought of either and want to be prepared to advise them as well.
    littletreasures xx

feb, 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rear facing car seats

Bless him
    I would ask the parents what seat they use when they take him out in the car and either borrow theirs or buy one similar

Pipsqueak Guest

I suppose it makes sense to protect Z in this way - just as you would with any other child.

I would sit down and talk to parents and explain what you feel comfortable with/doing - this is the advice etc.

Is there an organisation that is associated with Z's condition who could perhaps advise you further?

jumpinjen Guest

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

lots of info here

and a buyers guide area by area here:

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/buyersguide.php

maybe you could ask mum and dad to support you with the cost of a seat, and sometimes charities and support organisations have funds to help with equipment also.

hugs, Jen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Z's still in hiss maxi cosi at the moment. The parents and I both have Osiris bases for it so it's easier to transfer.

I have loads of car seats so I don't really want to be spending a £200+ on a car seat for him to have in my car. Wouldn't be able to use theirs as dad walks him to me in the pushchair and mum collects in the car.

But I also know they haven't got £400 to spend on 2 car seats either.

I am looking ahead. I don't think mum and dad have yet.

I am going to have to do a lot of research to see if we are eligible for any financial help with this sort of cost.
    littletreasures xx

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

are we having this conversation again

i would ask mum and dad what they think and which one they recommend

although that man i was telling you about the other night he said all kids should be in rear facing as long as possible and showed me one that went on this frame it was a popular make too do you want me to call in on monday and ask him he is the car man to know in this area

i bought a lime green and black with the fold up arms £40.00 for my gap of the internet

big hugs and a happy new year sweetie xxxxx
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    are we having this conversation again

i would ask mum and dad what they think and which one they recommend

although that man i was telling you about the other night he said all kids should be in rear facing as long as possible and showed me one that went on this frame it was a popular make too do you want me to call in on monday and ask him he is the car man to know in this area

i bought a lime green and black with the fold up arms £40.00 for my gap of the internet

big hugs and a happy new year sweetie xxxxx
    Lol, yes we are!!

Still trying to work out the best way to put the kids in and then this lady brought something else in to the equation that I hadn't thought of.

I have so many car seats. 2 are brand new, bought them for the Espace and then hubby decided to change the car!! They have not been used yet, but now we have the new car, can't see how I can use them!!
    littletreasures xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

can you not just use a 0-4 yrs car seat and keep it rear facing for longer?
    IS BACK

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    I would prob do this as long as lo is under recommended rear facing height and weight usually 15kg.

I had a rear facing 0-6yr car seat, Britax 2 way elite, for dd 2.5yrs which was bril but had to change as wouldn't go in new car. I have changed to maxi cosi cybex pallas and a kiddy infinity which I believe are better than using a 5 pt harness anyway and are sligtly cheaper if thats an option. x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm going to do as his safety is paramount, but looking at them, they seem to be £200. I can't afford that and I am sure his parents can't afford to buy 2.

Just trying to find if we can get financial help with the cost of one, but would also like to hear from anyone using one already.
    littletreasures xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littletreasures View Post
    That's what I'm going to do as his safety is paramount, but looking at them, they seem to be £200. I can't afford that and I am sure his parents can't afford to buy 2.

Just trying to find if we can get financial help with the cost of one, but would also like to hear from anyone using one already.
    kiddiecare do them from £50
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clio0602 View Post
    I would prob do this as long as lo is under recommended rear facing height and weight usually 15kg.

I had a rear facing 0-6yr car seat, Britax 2 way elite, for dd 2.5yrs which was bril but had to change as wouldn't go in new car. I have changed to maxi cosi cybex pallas and a kiddy infinity which I believe are better than using a 5 pt harness anyway and are sligtly cheaper if thats an option. x
    Just looked at the car seats you have and they wouldn't be any good for Z as he is small.
    littletreasures xx

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littletreasures View Post
    Just looked at the car seats you have and they wouldn't be any good for Z as he is small.
    Awww ok they can be used from 9mths so thought it may be an option.

What about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Nania-Ride...item53e5779564

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

have a look on www.kiddicare.com as they have a few at great prices too
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hebs

I've not seen the Nania ones so don't know wheat they're like. Do you think they're as good as Britax or Graco?
    littletreasures xx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a britax first class plus which is suitable from birth to approx 4 years, and can be used rear facing until 13kg. Depending on the weight of the child in question, this may last as a rear facing seat for a good while yet. I think I paid about £150 for ours and you could probably get it cheaper as they are often included in the deals on kiddicare/ halfords/ mothercare etc.

I'd love to have the seats that stay rear facing until 4 years but they are so expensive!

ETA just had a quick look and you can get one for £105 now x

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    I'd love to have the seats that stay rear facing until 4 years but they are so expensive!
    i was talking to a guy in halfords and he says they wont enforce them here and apparently america has recently changed the laws so that they have to be in forward facing from around 2 he thinks
    IS BACK

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

i was talking to a guy in halfords and he says they wont enforce them here and apparently america has recently changed the laws so that they have to be in forward facing from around 2 he thinks
    The Government in this country apparently thinks that parents don't have a need for these safer rear facing car seats. Its only recently we have been able to buy them and I only found out about them because of a video of a 1yr old being posted on my facebook

Due to this I'll never use a 5 pt harness forward facing seat again but thats only my opinion from what I have read and large car seat stores do not sell rf seats as there is little demand for them in the UK.

Sorry rant over!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting. Just need to get one for Z then. I found an article to say that children with achondroplasia need to stay in rear facing car seats as long as possible because of their enlarged heads and the need to support the neck.

I might go to my council armed with that and see if they will help with the cost if a rear facing car seat. Won't hold out much hope though!!!
    littletreasures xx