Thinking of giving LJ to parents to review & add to?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul '10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of giving LJ to parents to review & add to?

Hi.
    I've only just started mindee in September, so I'm coming up to the end of my first 3 months.
    I was thinking about giving my mindees LJ to his mum for the weekend so that she can contribute/add things to the Development grid etc and let me know of any developments that I haven't seen yet?....

I do trust the parent 100%, she is wonderful, has always filled in every piece of paper work I have given her so I know it wont go astray

We dont really have the time to sit down and make time to discuss things properly as she is a single working mum and is always on the go. Hand over is done at the school whilst she picks up her oldest child.

Has anyone else done this? or would you do this?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thinking of giving LJ to parents to review & add to?

I send them home every 3 months or so... last time was at the end of the summer and I will send them with cards and gifts at Christmas.

Of the 4 learning journeys I do, one family regularly adds comments

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I give mine to parents once a term for them to look at and write comments in (they can see them here at other times if they want) - it works well and parents like the opportunity to show LJ's to grannies, grandads etc

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul '10
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you do it?

Not sure if I should add a questionnaire with yes/no answers and a space for further comments so that I can get the answers to certain things

or

Add my own 3 month assessment and then ask the parent to comment on the LJ as a whole and the assessment that I have written??

Hope that makes sense...which would be the best way to get maximum info back??

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

I do both of those plus a sheet about the child's current interests

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul '10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Miffy & Sarah!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine go back to parents once a term with lots of question sheets and a new "all about me sheet" but before they take it, I scan into my computer all the new information from that term, just in case they do go astray then i can just print off the scanned copy and start a new file IYSWIM.
    Sandy
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

I send them home with a form at the front asking for their comments, anything they are looking at doing at home i can help with ie potty training, weaning etc. Anything they would like me to to do with their child, ie helping wiht spellings, maths etc - 99% of the time they come back comletely blank

Penny1959 Guest

I do a face to face review every half term (but may be changing to termly) I record the things we discuss and we draw up the next steps plan together.

Parents take LJ home after meeting - along with feedback form / questionaire - so they can look at in more detail and share with other family members if they wish.

Some get fully involved - and some don't but at least they have the opportunity - and I record in my diary if don't comment / cancel review meetings.

Penny

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also do termly EYFS reviews with parents.
    We go through my overview and then parents can take home if they like . I regularly give out questionaires and ask parents for input from home.
    Still looking at better ways of presenting learning journies, but mostly I am happy with the way I do them and parents seem to be more than happy.
    Carol x

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't sent mine home yet but I think I will now!!!
    Parents add to them as I send things home with the parents for them to do at home with the children but I don't send the actual LJ home with them.
    Thanks for the idea.

Karen x