Registered Childminder since
    Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What age do you make them walk?

I think my triple is on its way out

I currently have a 16 m, 23m and 29m.

The older boy doesn't always sleep in the afternoon but does still sometimes. Only ever in the buggy, or the car, never in the house

I don't really want to spend out on another triple if is not really needed so what age do you make them walk from? I was thinking that on the longer journey, we are in the car or on the bus anyway. He is not very good on the buggy board. HE starts of enjoying it and the fact that we can chat as we go along but his legs get tired and he wants to sit.

I was thinking of getting one of those boards that he can sit on instead of stand?

I know I tend to bung him in as its faster to get places and if he's walking it will all slow down.

Hx

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What age do you make them walk?

personnally i wouldn't buy a tripple for this age range too expensive.

have you tried younger one on buggy board? my little 20months old LOVES the buggy board, even as she just woke up i can put on it and she loves it.

my son is 26months and he has to be in buggy for afternooon school run as i wake him to go

but in morning we leave early so he has the time to walk and we do bits of the way walking with biggens and others on the board....

coming back in afternoon DS walks all the way and lo walks more than half.

sounds silly but triednot to be in a hurry to teach him to walk longer distances progressively (don't know if it's english)

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

most of mine walk now,, they are 2yrs 6month, 3yrs10mnths and 2yrs 11smnth
    they oldest has walked since he was 21months cause he was too big for a pushchair by then and hated the buggy board, the middle child has been walking since she was 2yrs with me but in a pram with mum still and they youngest started with me in june and has never been in a buggy as she is big for her age and wont fit in a buggy and her parent said she loved to walk,,, i have since found out that she dosent walk anywhere with them which is proably why she winges everytime we walk,, I persever tho cause i know she can walk and wont fit in a buggy and hates the board also.
    you could try walking sort distances with them at first leaving plenty of time then build up the pace and the distance to suit you.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2yo dd and mindee both walk a fair amount. I hate using my double pushchair and avoid it as much as possible! Only really use it if its wet, we're running late or I have my 1yo mindee with me. Use it maybe once a week now!

My own DD has been walking to the shops with me since she was 17mths cos she hates her pushchair. And both her and mindee HATE the buggy board so thats out!

Takes forever to get anywhere but we play games as we walk to make it more interesting for them, and they especially love it when there are puddles!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I could push a triple buggy with three children of that age in - it must be heavy!

I'm usually encouraging them to walk from 2 yo (earlier if they're keen) with a view to not having them in a buggy at all after 2 and a half. Sometimes use it though if they're under the weather or very tired.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When I have 3 LOs (16 mths, 20 months and 21 months) I put the oldest on a buggy board, the type where they can sit down. Because of the design of my double it wouldn't be comfy for her to sit facing my legs as intended, so she sits the facing the buggy with her legs under the buggy by the shopping basket. She seems to love being on there. I don't go far though, it's just too heavy to push! I also put reins on her and hold on to them, just incase we go over a bump and she wobbles- hasn't happened so far though, she seems perfectly safe on there! I wasn't going to get a triple buggy because it's only one day a week.
    Could you have the older mindee on the buggy board until he gets fed up then swap for another mindee?
    See how he goes with walking though, my son (20 months) shocked me yesterday by walking just under a mile holding on to the buggy!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the child, I try to get them walking by the time they turn 2. But then our school run is only about 15 mins each way and any groups we go to are a similar distance, or closer, so we're not walking miles. I still tend to take either a double buggy, or the buggy board incase we're late, they're tired etc.

I have used the seat buggy board in the past & found it really good for when los are tired as they don't have to stand. Also the ones who don't like standing on the board tend to be happier sitting down.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With the age ranges you have I would be tempted to make the older two walk and just have the little one in the single buggy.... Most of mine will walk short distances absolutely fine - am currently in the process of starting to walk a 19month old and she has no problems walking about 10 mins each way now

(I more tend to put them in buggies for longer distances, bad weather or im running late)

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I start them walking very short distances at around 18 mths and by 2 i would expect most children to be able to walk for up to 30 minutes- but i would still take a pushchair. Parents are often astonished how far children walk with me when they are still being carried around like babies with them. But there is always the exception and i have had some children who just are not ready to walk far until about 2 half to 3 yrs.
    The key is good shoes- non of your silly Crocs or jellies or such and build it up gradually. I had a sit on buggy board once, that might be a good option for now.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

How far would you think is acceptable for a child who is nearly 3 and 1/2 to walk. i go to a toddler group once a week and have 3 kids to take. 2 could go in double buggy and the 3yo would walk.

It is roughly a mile each way - myself walking on my own it would take me about 20 - 25 minutes. Mindee walks really slowly so would probably take 40 - 45 mins. I currently take the car but would like to walk - do you think its too far , would i be asking too much and is it appropiate to make him walk ( he doesnt really like having to walk!)

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

How far would you think is acceptable for a child who is nearly 3 and 1/2 to walk. i go to a toddler group once a week and have 3 kids to take. 2 could go in double buggy and the 3yo would walk.

It is roughly a mile each way - myself walking on my own it would take me about 20 - 25 minutes. Mindee walks really slowly so would probably take 40 - 45 mins. I currently take the car but would like to walk - do you think its too far , would i be asking too much and is it appropiate to make him walk ( he doesnt really like having to walk!)
    Depends on the child but 3 1/2 i'd say that's perfectly reasonable. Like I said earlier, my son walked just under a mile yesterday with no fuss at all and he's not even 2 yet. If this LO doesn't like walking you may get some complaints but he will soon get used to it. I have a mindee who didn't walk until quite late and now at 21 months is still very slow, unsteady and not very confident- if we are outside and I let go of her hand she stops and won't walk until I hold her hand again- i'm guessing it will be a long, long time before she walks a mile!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would expect a 3.5yr old to walk that far easily. They are too heavy to push!

Maybe I am lucky, I currently have a 3.5yr old, a near 2yr old (2 in Nov) and a 7mth old. I only ever go out with a single buggy now and have done since March. The 2yr walks miles. I can't imagine having the three of them in a buggy our town is very hilly and I know I'd never get up the hills with a triple buggy.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I will not push any child (unless they have a physical disability) if they are over the 15kg safe weight limit for the pram or 3 years old. Of the little ones, only the 5 month old currently go in the pram, the others (3.5, 2.75 and 2.75) all walk.

Personally I wouldn't expect a child under 2 and a half to walk all the time but we do not have a car so walk everywhere. All children are different so I would possibly go on their ability rather than age. You could always take a twin and swap the two older children around. I did this with a single for the two 2.75 YOs and it worked pretty well most of the time.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My own 2y 8mth old started using a buggy board when my dd was born. It works brilliantly! He has just turned 3 and now walks on all shorter trips, such as school runs. If we are going out for the whole day I still bring the buggy board along as he does get tired.

Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has been out of her buggy since her 2nd Birthday. She will be 3 in December. Back in the summer we could go to Bath or Bristol and wander around all day with out a problem. We also go rambling in the country side and she has easily done 4/5 miles with a few stops to pick black berries, have a picnic etc. It amazing how far they can easily walk if they do it regularly. My son who is now 5 was just the same.

Build it up slowly, go at their pace and keep them interested by pointing out things or play games my two like to be trains they run along in front of me and i shout station when i want them to stop. We also guess what colour the first parked car will be round the next corner.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.thatcuteage.com/p3248-Rev...rc=ad_buggyPod

how about one of these for when the lo has tired legs? Have seen them for about £45 but cant remember where!

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    http://www.thatcuteage.com/p3248-Rev...rc=ad_buggyPod

how about one of these for when the lo has tired legs? Have seen them for about £45 but cant remember where!

I saw one of these this morning at toddler group it was attached to a phil and ted's and it had a little baby in, it looked fab would be something I would look into if every needed.
    Love
    Lorraine xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

for under 3's I always have a buggy board but encourage them to walk.

Post Thanks / Like

I quite happily get a just turned 2 yr old to walk 3/4 mile to the park and then back again. It depends on the time of day and what we're doing next as to whether I use the double pushchair on the school runs, but that is only 1/4 mile.

Personally I would expect a 2 yr old to be able to walk between 1/2 and 1 mile quite easily, a 3 yr old should be able to walk at least 1 mile without complaining. I've never felt the need for a triple pushchair despite having back to back variations for 4 little ones for a number of years, however I've usually got 2 at nursery age and 2 smaller ones so it's not surprising I haven't needed a triple.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

At the moment, my 20 month old (who is a good walker but slow!) is in the double and the 3 year old twins take turns swapping in the other seat. Sometimes I think my daughter would be better walking - far less complaints, in fact she complains about going in the buggy! Definitely depends on the child rather than the age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast