Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default seperate building for childminding?

hi, does anyone use an 'outbuilding' as it were for childminding in?

we're looking at moving and have found a house that has several outbuildings, one has a toilet and a couple of rooms, so could use one for sleeping etc, and not actually use the house at all !

just wondered what anyones thoughts were!

thanks x

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: seperate building for childminding?

I think that that would be a cracking idea and would love to do the same if I could. Clearly Ofsted would need to check the premises to give it the thumbs up but why not separate your work place from your home?

Have you thought about turning it into a nursery (space dependent) if you have other C/M's in your area or registered childcare professionals who could assist. Could be worth thinking about as something for the future if you are going to stay long term at your new house.

Sorry, might be forcing my ultimate goal on you but if I had the space (instead of just a pretty garden) then I think I'd look to expand what I could offer.

Hope that helps xx
    Kids are my business

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

A cm that is near me has done this, but did have planning issues and it got quite complicated but she did win. May be worth talking to the local planners before purchasing.

Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is fantastic, i have this idea as my long term plan, but beleive me it is going to be very long term before we can move,

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A local childminder did something similar with a garage conversion.

However it cost her a lot of time and money getting planning permission.

It's a great idea though getting your house back!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hmmm, its the planning permission bit that worries me! i don't want lots of children, a few would do me!

the house we've seen, the outbuilding were used for a business, although i think the house/outbuildings are empty now. so there is a possiblity i guess, that permission of some sort might already be there! i just wasn't sure quite how ofsted might view it! would it still be classed as domestic premises?

however, its probably all academic, as we haven't sold our house, and this house is for sale by auction next month! plus, there are very FEW pictures on the details, so it might be in need of some (alot!) TLC !

but it is ideally placed, right next to the school !LOL!

however, worth thinking about!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to be able to do that. A c/m round the corner from me has converted her garage, its brilliant, its got a seperate toilet, lovely playroom, patio doors into the garden. Her parents dont need to go into her house as the have access from the side of the house. She had no problem with her inspection.

Lesley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    I would love to be able to do that. A c/m round the corner from me has converted her garage, its brilliant, its got a seperate toilet, lovely playroom, patio doors into the garden. Her parents dont need to go into her house as the have access from the side of the house. She had no problem with her inspection.

Lesley
    Do you have details of the childminder who recently did this in their garden? I am looking to do the same and need advice on how to make this happen.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought you were moving again loocyloo , then noticed the date on the thread! 😊

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Thought you were moving again loocyloo , then noticed the date on the thread! ?de0a
    Lol! ... I'd still love that property! But the chap who bought it put several fences in and rents all the garages/ outbuildings/ house out separately :0 (

I couldn't face moving again!