Daily register questions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily register questions

We were discussing registers at our cm group today. It's surprising how many cms still fill them in with the contracted hours, rather than the actual hours. One is even filling them in with contracted hours even if child is off sick as she charges for that time Anyway, we discussed between us that they need to show the actual times, so everyone was happy with that.

It did throw up a question though. Why do cms have to fill in the actual times, but nurseries don't? I know that nurseries have a set start & finish time, but children rarely start & finish at the exact times. What if a child is late? Our nursery should start at 9am, but can actually open it's doors as late as 9.10am. Many children arrive even later than that. And they should finish at 11.30am, but the door is often open from 11.15am. But a nursery doesn't have to record the exact time that a child arrives & leaves.

Any ideas why it's different?
    Last edited by Mouse; 22-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Daily register questions

It isn't actually in the statutory requirements that exact times have to be filled into registers.

it is just something we are aware of because inspectors sometimes look for it and will pick people up on it if they see the same time being written down every day.

i have no idea how nurseries work as I've never read their inspection reports but you would think they would have the same requirements.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It isn't actually in the statutory requirements that exact times have to be filled into registers.

That's interesting - probably explains why I can't find it written anywhere!

I wonder why Ofsted are so keen on us having exact times then? I know many cms who have been picked up on it.

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

We have printed registers with printed start and finish times at my nursery, and when the child arrive we put in the actual arrival time in the "in" column and when they leave they are signed out and we add the actual time of leaving in the "out" column if that makes sense. I was wondering whether to do something similar for when I start minding.

x

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, forgot to say, we have been told we must have the exact times in case of emergency evacuation. If a child has not turned up or staying later than supposed etc we may not know whether he or she was in the building.

Post Thanks / Like

When I drop at nursery I put the time I sign him in according to my watch, I know most must put the nursery start and finish times, but I suppose thats cause most are parents and not childminders