Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LOCK THE GATE!

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LOCK THE GATE!

How can I remind my partner to lock the garden gate? I'm really getting annoyed with him now. We have a metal gate with a latch, but my son can undo the latch so we use a combination padlock on it (untill we can afford a better gate)
    Last weekend I was hoovering upstairs when I looked out the window to see my son (one) wandering down the driveway. Turns out my partner had been in the graden with him but popped indoors to get something. Because he had left the gate open DS made a run for it.
    Yesterday I took DS and mindee in to the garden. The went straight for the unlocked gate and I had to run and lock it quick before they got out. I told him that if anybody saw me run down the street after them and decided to call ofsted I will be out of a job (over-exaggeration there as they actually didn't make it outside of the gate but he doesn't need to know that!)
    Anyway, just been out to the put the washing on the line and guess what, the gate is unlocked! What do it do with him? Clip round the ear??!!

jun 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LOCK THE GATE!

Can you put one of those springs on the gate so that it shuts automatically and then put the handle up high so the little ones can't reach.
    Graham
    Assistant to d' ex boss

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the gate high enough for him to put another latch higher up , ormove the first one? Suggesting if he cant remember to lock the gate then he will be having a DIY sunday may do the job!

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we also have a gate that blocks off the wildlife area with pond from the main garden part....its open!!!! and i was at work all day yesterday so wasnt me....

i cant help im afraid my other half still hasnt learnt to put the seat down after the toilet

xx
    Jennie x x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad my husband is out all day when I'm minding so there are no other adults to mess up my 'system'
    My husband is incapable of putting recycling in the correct place and puts back cartons of milk with a tiny drop in it back in the fridge.
    Why not use that tiny drop? Drives me mad
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

or one sheet left on the toilet roll with a new roll balaced on top rather than replacing the one sheet.
    i would tell him if you find the lock undone one more time you will get a new gate on his credit card!
    Blessed Be!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have this problem as my partner forgets to lock the front door behind him sometimes even when there's no-one in the house. He also forgets to close the stairgate, ok for Rose as she's more than capable on the stairs now but not when i'm working.

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    or one sheet left on the toilet roll with a new roll balaced on top rather than replacing the one sheet.
    i would tell him if you find the lock undone one more time you will get a new gate on his credit card!

very good idea,

xx
    Jennie x x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add it as a daily check to your list!
    Debbie

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

This sort of thing drives me mad!

i do my safty checks each day so i know where i am but when the other half comes home from shift work and the older children come home from school i seem to spend most of my time nagging as they plonk their things down on side etc.

weekends are the worst for safty checks as i relax and the house becomes 100% home, come sunday night im dashinng round the house to put it into child care mode!
    i think they all know that what they leave hanging around shouldnt be and push comes to shove i have to move it/tidy it up
    (wont stop my nagging at them to do it for themselves though! )

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The gate isn't tall enough to move the latch higher unfortunately! I like the idea of buying a new gate with his money but it would take him ages to actually fit the damn thing!

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Threaten him with a withdrawal of 'normal services'! That works for most things here
    Oh and add it to daily checks, just in case
    Ali xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd change the combination to a number you know and he doesn't so he can only open the gate with your permission!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on if this is still at the rolling eyes stage or if you have moved on to the physical assault stage. If it is really annoying I would replace the padlock and keep the key so he cannot unlock it, he will either have to climb over it or wait for you to come and unlock it for him.

The only way to drum in how inconvenient something is is to make it inconvenient for them so they remember. I think most of the time its just forgetfullnness but if it carries on it becomes plain inconsiderate and rude.

With my dh it was unpacking the shopping - he would unpack the carrier bag onto the worktop and then leave it all out. We have a tiny kitchen so this would mean there was literally no room to do anything until you had put everything away or moved it all bit by bit. If he unpacked several carrier bags of small items that would take ages. It becmae so annoying that I started moving the stuff into his way so he couldnt get to his playroom without moving it all first. Only had to do it twice!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd change the combination to a number you know and he doesn't so he can only open the gate with your permission!
    You are a genius! That's brilliant! I'm off to change it now hehe!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughty step!!! (Oh er I mean thinking time!)

Hubby just came home and says why is my phone charger on the floor - I say because he leaves it there for the children to play with

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When he got home from work I told him that I'd changed the combination and if he want's to use the gate he will have to ask me. He laughed so I said considering I'd quite like to keep our son, it's my only option!

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband is the same!!!! He always leaves the bolt of the gate, and its the dog that escapes more than the wee one.

Men aarrgghhh!!!

Kirsty xxx