Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRUSTS!!

Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CRUSTS!!

I have just started minding a 4yrold schoolie,, child didnt eat their sandwichs at school so when mum came asked child ask if they could have them,, when child got them out they had no crusts on,, I commented 'oh no crusts' sort of jokingly then mum replied,, 'oh no i dont like them so x dosent eat them either', now i have a rule in my house that we eat our crusts because they used to leave them but not just the crust, they used to take 2 bites and then say dont like the crusts and leave half the sandwich with it,, i got fedup with chuking good sandwichs away so now they eat their crusts and dont get anything else till they do, no-one complains anymore,,, my dilema is if i gcut the crusts of this childs sandwich the others will moan and if i ask her to eat them then the mother will moan, I thought of cutting the top crust of and leaving the side ones on and starting small
    what would you do (and yes i know its a silly thing but its bugging me!)

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CRUSTS!!

the crusts issue that exists over here is driving me loopy! I haven't encountered this elsewhere nor have I seen any shops in europe that sell bread without crusts....
    I would maybe try and talk to mum and explain how you have managed to get the kids in your home to eat crusts and you would like to try the same for her Lo so that it is fair for all of them.

In my house we eat crusts. Also the pizza end crusts that some would leave.
    my trick was to bake our own pizza and bread and told them how lovely the crusts on these were....they all ate it!

It is a shame but obviously some of the habits are being obviously passed down the generations..
    Nicole xx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    I have just started minding a 4yrold schoolie,, child didnt eat their sandwichs at school so when mum came asked child ask if they could have them,, when child got them out they had no crusts on,, I commented 'oh no crusts' sort of jokingly then mum replied,, 'oh no i dont like them so x dosent eat them either', now i have a rule in my house that we eat our crusts because they used to leave them but not just the crust, they used to take 2 bites and then say dont like the crusts and leave half the sandwich with it,, i got fedup with chuking good sandwichs away so now they eat their crusts and dont get anything else till they do, no-one complains anymore,,, my dilema is if i gcut the crusts of this childs sandwich the others will moan and if i ask her to eat them then the mother will moan, I thought of cutting the top crust of and leaving the side ones on and starting small
    what would you do (and yes i know its a silly thing but its bugging me!)
    Think I would do this too. I have a 13 year old mindee who would leave the crusts if I let him (his mum let's him!) I never cut off the crusts even for babies infact I give babies the crusts first

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

its not something that bothers me really,i eat crusts but didnt as a child. i find with mindees some do and some don't! i always leave crusts on and will not let a child get away with just the 2 bites thing! if they do that then i will pull the crusts off and tell them they have to eat the rest.

tip: if you cut the sandwiches into triangles rather than squares there seems to be less crust to leave as there isnt the corner bit! lol.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have in the past cut the crusts off, very thinly. So they do eat 99% of the sandwich

I can have battles over a lot of things but i cannot be bothered to have a battle of wills over that.

Perhaps offer two puddings, one not so exciting for people who will not eat crusts and a much more yummy one for people who will eat their crusts. That way children get to make their own choices.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

someone told me a trick ages ago. cut off the crusts with the breadknife and then they have no excuse not to eat it all. If you leave the crusts on they tend to leave more. I'm with you and I prefer the crusts eaten but if it saves the arguments I'm happy......

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

also forgot to say, when we are on a picnic we all leave our crusts to feed to the birds/ducks

like wendy says there are worse things to battle over over than crusts on a sandwich.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have one mindee who used to eat the pizza crusts from all the other children.

She was an after schooler who only had a snack, then the jacket potato skins and pizza crusts left by the others
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

coffee-time Guest

ive always cut the crusts off my childrens sandwiches! its never bothered me really as i know how dry any chewy they can be! but then i havent bought a loaf of bread in my life as my dad has always worked at the hovis factory and always get my bread for free!! it might be a different story when i have to pay for it!! lol

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any feeling either way, they eat them or they don't eat them..... I have in the past cut sandwiches out with cookie cutters to encourage a fussy lo to eat but that was more about making food exciting, but apart from that.....?
    God Bless xx T

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we are non crst eaters too....well im not bothered either way depends how old the bread is lol

xx
    Jennie x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I cut them off - life is too short!

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

we all eat crusts in our house bar my 7 yr old who leaves them everytime. I dont cut them off but not fussed if he doesnt eat them. You can now get loaves of bread which are 'no crusts', lol. xx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut them off and put them out for the birds. I find they then eat all what is left, so actually have less waste than if I left them on. Its something that I cant be bothered to battle about, things can be tough sometimes, and to me this is a very small issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tend to cut them off if mindee doesn't want them, that way more of the sandwich gets eaten rather than the two bites as mentioned!! Some of mine eat their crusts, some don't!!

Feb 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I must be lucky because none of my mindees have sandwiches but certainly, I think I would have to work with whatever the parents did in their own homes although it could then become a problem with one child having crusted sandwiches and the other with them removed.

As an adult, I would never now eat a sandwich with crusts on although as a child I did so I've gone the other way!!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do sandwiches after school for snacks and I got fed up of throwing crusts away with EVERY child all 10 of them!!! I now buy the no crust bread and they are all happy except one who still left the edges as she doesn't like crust I announced it has no crust its a crust free bread

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies,, i do leave the crusts on because i think its such a waste throwing them out and also if they are hungry then they will eat them,, i have just never come across a child whose never eaten crusts before!!

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely hate waste, but children see it as the norm these days (and some parents) to let children dictate what they will and wont eat and just put it in the bin if they dont feel like eating it. I would never force a child to eat something but I really believe they should learn to waste less and be more appreciative of their meals.Too full for crusts, too full for pudding!
    Julie X X

Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of mine wont eat the crusts, she dosnt like the taste so I find if I cut them off really close with a bread knife whe will then eat the whole sandwich, if not she bits up to the crust and a lot more gets wasted. I then put the crusts out for the birds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast