How do you do it?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you do it?

Ok, so this has been my first proper week really, got 1 afterschool, 1 before & after, then my niece 3 days afterschool too. From next week I have a 6m old coming two full day too. My problem, I am shattered! Please tell me it gets easier! The kids have been great but my before schooler arrives at 7am and I am beyond tired by the end of the day when I can put my girls to bed. I am really loving it but can see me having no life outside work cos I'll be too shattered, I can't wait till the weekend already and know I'll just want to sleep! So, how do you manage to do it all? Is it just a case of getting used to it?

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you do it?

i have been childminding for 3 years now and usually shattered by the end of the day and it is really sad i know but i go to bed at nine as i have to have a good nights sleep so i can cope the next day. But then like today i just had two and it was quite a nice easy day as my other mindee is on holiday so i just enjoyed today as it is not allways like this.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 10 kids tomorrow going to be a loooooooooooooooooong day

but yes it does get easier x
    IS BACK

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think its knowing your limits. It does get better but I've now learnt that I need to only work 4 days a week to be able to catch up on everything else, especially as being on my own I have to do everything for my children and the house as well.

Try and find time to rest in the day, grab food and sit for at least a few minutes. If you can try and get them to sleep at the same time that helps otherwise you soon get into the swing of it.
    Paula

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

It does get easier, especially if they have a sleep. It will always be quite tiring though. Having a routine helps too.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for just over a year. Most days I have 7am starts and don't finish until 6-7pm. It does get easier some days I'm not as tired as others. I try to keep my weekends for me and I also try not to do any work related stuff (ok I do but I try not to) I do bits and pieces ie housework when its quieter and I have a very supportive husband. Some eves I am in bed by 9.30 but others eves I stay up late I have been out with friends on a work night and not gone to bed til midnight but then I just go to bed early the next night. I do get tired but I have found I just need to keep busy........x

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

been minding 8 years and I go to bed earlier and earlier - 8:45pm last night!!!!

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

the trick is to be organised and take advantage of times when you can sit down and have a rest e.g when children are sleeping - try not to just use those times to catch up on housework/paperwork. The thing i miss in the holidays is having the chance to have lunch in peace whilst children are napping - the hols are full on all day!

I try to keep on top of cleaning whilst the kids are occupied with activities too - that just leave upstairs to be done at the weekend rather than having the whole house. Admittedly it doesn't always work but i try and yes i am general K********d at the end of the day
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

for my first 6 months or so of minding I was shattered! I put all my energy into it doing planned activity after planned activity looking back I didn't leave much chance for child led activities. I've learned now how to chill a bit more nd get better results from the kids. I now don't do half as much at nights was workin til 11 easy! researcing ang planning etc I do this job as i obviously love kids etc but to benifit my family and I ended up having less time with my kids and husband in my spare time! You will find a good ballance and get into a good routine. It does get easier!!

I love my job but u can't leave work " at the office!" This is my first week off this year and I can't switch totally off!!!!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, really hope you're right and it'll get easier, think it's harder cos my own two are still young, 23m and 3.5yrs so need a lot of my attention too. My youngest has been having a nap this week while my eldest is at preschool in the morning which has allowed me a little rest but apart from that hour it's pretty much non stop. My 9yo before and after school is lovely but quite draining, she seems to want amused constantly whereas at her age I would have expected her to be a bit more independent at amusing herself, whereas she is constantly saying I'm bored what can we do now, hopefully that'll get easier too.

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Try and encourage 9 year old to amuse herself more with games, puzzles, ds,books etc. She might also like to help more with the younger ones. Do you know what her interests are? Talk to her mum see what she usually does.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding just over a year and find a good routine helps, and I am lucky as my los sleep at the same time so gives me a chance to catch up on housework and paperwork, so I can have most of the weekends free to spend with my family and not running about cleaning and doing accounts
    Joy xx