Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We should be in bed...BUT

What do we have to give to the parent once a mindee leaves - do we just hand over EVERYTHING to them and let them hand it on to nursery/school or whatever, or do we hand over obs/assessments and such to the nursery/school and give the parents their childs learning journey and any photos we have? I'm just trying to get myself organised before my mindees last day in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks guys (and I'm glad I'm not the only one still up at this god forsaken time!)

Hels xx

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: We should be in bed...BUT

My mindee leaves in 5 weeks, and I was planning on photo-copying everything for me, and giving the originals to mum. Will be a bit of money, but I want the copy for Ofsted's next visit!!!!

Pipsqueak Guest

You hand over the LJ. Attendance records, contracts etc you keep.
    I have photocopied my LO's LJ as it is a terrifc record - even if i say so myself.

Blue Boy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    I have photocopied my LO's LJ as it is a terrifc record - even if i say so myself.
    I wouldn't expect anything other than perfection from a Blue Babe (Chelsea Fan!) We also hand over the LJ and provide a disc with all the LO's photos.
    Last edited by Blue Boy; 18-07-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Boy View Post
    and provide a disc with all the LO's photos.
    Thats nice
    Needs to Zumba

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hand over learning journals, a transition form to hand on to the next setting, any work the childs has done (from displays etc) & a disc of all the photos I've taken while the child has been with me.

I don't keep copies of any of the journals. I'm not likely to need them again & it's just more paperwork I have to store away!

All the other paperwork gets clipped together (contracts, child record forms, medication forms etc) and put in a folder with the paperwork from all the previous mindees.

I've found that nurseries and school are happy to take the transition form, but don't want anything else. One mindee went to a new minder & she told the mum she had to have the LJ I'd done. I said she didn't if mum didn't want to hand it over - I think this other minder just wanted to see what I'd done!
    Last edited by Mouse; 18-07-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    One mindee went to a new minder & she told the mum she had to have the LJ I'd done. I said she didn't if mum didn't want to hand it over - I think this other minder just wanted to see what I'd done!
    I've just taken on a new little boy and was very very pleased to look through the LJ the previous minder had done.

it really helped both him and me in the initial period of settling in and first day to find out about him.

Plus I could show him his photo / photos of other people he liked and knew at the last childminder's house to help him settle.

I have handled it respectfully and intend to give it back now as I will start my own...

At the beginning of mine I will put comments from his previous LJ as evidence of sharing.

To answer the initial question, you hand over the LJ with obs, individual planning, all photos (they are property of the parents), art work etc.

You keep attendance records, permissions, contracts etc for 21 years 7 months.

It can be very hard when you have lovingly crafted a LJ over months and years, especially if Ofsted haven't seen it.

However they are not interested in your previous work at inspection, only current mindees.

If you hang on to photos, obs, assessments etc after children have left do make sure you have parents written permission to keep them.

Hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I've just taken on a new little boy and was very very pleased to look through the LJ the previous minder had done.

it really helped both him and me in the initial period of settling in and first day to find out about him.

Plus I could show him his photo / photos of other people he liked and knew at the last childminder's house to help him settle.

I have handled it respectfully and intend to give it back now as I will start my own...

At the beginning of mine I will put comments from his previous LJ as evidence of sharing.
    When I said I think she just wanted to look at what I've done, I was being tactful & really meant she just wanted to copy what I do!!
    If she was doing it in the interests of the child I'd have no problems with it! What annoys me is she doesn't actually do LJs herself, has an inspection due soon & just wanted to add a few bits to what I've already done!

I offered to get together with her before the child started there & to show her the LJ I'd done, talk about likes/dislikes etc but she couldn't be bothered. She said just let her have all his paperwork!

If parents handed it over, that's fine, but no way was I going to pass it all straight to her!!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

To answer the initial question, you hand over the LJ with obs, individual planning, all photos (they are property of the parents), art work etc.

You keep attendance records, permissions, contracts etc for 21 years 7 months.

It can be very hard when you have lovingly crafted a LJ over months and years, especially if Ofsted haven't seen it.

However they are not interested in your previous work at inspection, only current mindees.

If you hang on to photos, obs, assessments etc after children have left do make sure you have parents written permission to keep them.

Hth
    Sarah, how would I word a letter asking if I can hang on to photos, obs etc? I'm normally pretty literate at writing letters, but I can honestly say I'm stumped on this one?

Hels xx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a girl moving on to school in Sept. I have asked Mum if she would mind writing me a note giving me permission to photocopy her daughters LJ and keep it as an example to show OFSTED, etc.

She was more than happy too...My 3yrs were up 6wks ago and I've not heard from OFSTED yet, guessing it wont be too long though so wanted something 'complete' to show. The original has already gone to her new school along with her completed transition forms.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    This is what I intend to do! Once I am up-to-date I am giong to photocopy each month so I don't have to do too much at once.

Contracts, attendance, accident and insurance certs have to be kept until the child is 21yrs and 3mths old as once they are 18yrs they can make a claim against you in their own right. I have been Minding 17yrs and have just shreded the first set of records on a mindee. I have another 5yrs to go for the next lot!!