Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beware - Replacement Car on Insurance

Just a tip when you are all renewing your car insurance.

Last year was with Shelia's Wheels. Had a very minor scrape (reversed off drive and scratched mine and a neighbours car) and Shelia's wheels sent a replacement car straight away.

Am now insured with Bell. When I took out the policy I stated I needed a replacement car if mine should be off the road. Was told that yes I would get one.

So I was going down a country lane to collect from school and a Comet lorry took the wing off my car . Rang Bell. The recovered my car to their repair shop. No replacement car showed up. Chased them up, and apparently I "only get a car whilst mine is being repaired" I said well it is. Was then told it was actually being assessed so would only get a car once the repair was authorised. Due to backlog at the repair shop I was 12 days without a car which really stuffed up my work (I have rural school runs).

Just thought I would let you know so as you can clarify the terms on replacement cars before you take out a policy as I'd hate for anybody to find themselves ina similar situation.

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beware - Replacement Car on Insurance

thats a great reminderfor me, thanks, had this kind of trouble before company said you ccan have a replacement car, when had a lil accident, no car they had run out?! grrrrr

thanks for bringing this up
    x x x
    Jennie x x

july 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think this is the same with all car insurers unfortunatley

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

this just reminded me also of monty hall on the hebridees last noite
    his off road truck thing broke down and his replacement car was a picasso
    x x
    Jennie x x

bexcee Guest

You also need to state that you need a replacement car that is similar to yours. I have six children to drive around and got a corsa to replace my zafira!

July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive an automatic Zafira and got a manual smart car! (I cant drive manuals)

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

BlueFin/Motor Minder/NCMA undertake to replace your car with the same catagory car while yours is being repaired - I've not had to test it though and hope I never have to.

When DH & I crashed in the snow we had a hire car through the insurance company for ages - there was a huge backlog then because of so many accidents - I think he is with Hastings Direct.
    Celest

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    BlueFin/Motor Minder/NCMA undertake to replace your car with the same catagory car while yours is being repaired - I've not had to test it though and hope I never have to.

When DH & I crashed in the snow we had a hire car through the insurance company for ages - there was a huge backlog then because of so many accidents - I think he is with Hastings Direct.
    Be very carefull with Bluefin, they only give you a standard small salon car not like for like unless you realise and opt to pay a whopping £45 extra to 'kinda' insure you get a bigger car if they have one available. Its a racket esspecially as they tend to be rather more expensive than a lot of other companies.

I have found Churchill very helpful, I pay £20 to insure I get a car of a compatable size to mine a Skoda Octavia which I can get 3 cars seats in the back of. Not thank goodness (touching wood ) I have ever needed to test it.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an argument with my insurers when a lorry took the front of my car off while it was parked out on the road.

They sent me a replacement car but it was a tiny little 2 door job, It only held 4 people and the boot was so small I couldn't get a puchchair in it.

I explained I was a CM and needed a 7 seater with large boot, in the end they gave in but it took 2 days to get it to me.
    Toothfairy