What do you do when you have to leave a mindee ....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do when you have to leave a mindee ....

I've only been registered a few months and so far I have a little girl aged 3 and a half for 1 and a half days a week. I also have my own DS aged 2. When we go out, eg to playgroup, if the mindee needs to go to the toilet, I ask one of my friends to watch my son whilst I accompany the mindee.

However, from June I am also going to be having a 9 month old baby 4 days a week, and then from August I will be having a 12 month old and a 9 month old, plus my son!

So now I am wondering, what do I do when I'm out and about if I have to accompany one child to the toilet, or change their nappy, if I have another mindee with me? I'm more than happy to ask my friend to watch my son, but I don't think I can do this with a mindee, so what do I do? If I take them with me they will be crawling all over the toilet area which I would not be happy with. What does everyone else do?

Thanks!
    Francine X

onceinabluemoon Guest

Default Re: What do you do when you have to leave a mindee ....

I've always taken all mine with me. Since they have to be within sight or hearing at all times there really isn't any other choice...

Use the buggy to keep them off the floor perhaps?

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

i had this problem today, i was at toddler group had, s aged 11mnths in double buggy asleep ,dd aged 2 ,and S aged two, the two year olds did painting and needed to wash there hands and use the toilet. (you can't get the double buggy in the toilets) i opted to leave sleeping 11 month asleep with friend while washed and sorted out the two year olds and guess what he woke up! could not think of another way of doing it .
    shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am usually at groups with other CM friends, the parents know them too. I make sure mindees are being watched by another CM, after telling them where I am going, and nip off quick. Depends on the children too - sometimes if 1 needs the loo, they all want to go!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am with a childminding friend I sometimes leave them with her and vice versa but I never leave them with someone who's not a childminder - you never know who's watching. People have been reported for less!

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i agree i either take them with me, if out in public or leave in sight of cm friends if at groups, etc.

gotta be safe and i do worry about eyes and ears alot having read te stories on this site

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I also only nip a LO to loo at our toddler group where there are other minders that I have known for years and they keep an eye, if they werent there, I would take them all, at the moment I only have walkers, so its fine us all going

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone - there's usually a few other childminders there so if i have to I'll ask one of them to keep an eye out.
    Francine X

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The groups I go to are only for cms so we all keep an eye on each others and whoever does the toilet run usually ends up taking 2 or 3 with them
    Joy xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I go to groups where other CMs go for this reason. We ask each other to watch one anothers while we pop to the loo, change nappies etc.

I do go to one group where there are no other CMs - this is at the Childrens Centre. I take the children with me - the older ones stand up and wait, if I have the baby I take the pushchair down for him to be strapped into.

A lot of palava if just one child needs the toilet or a nappy change but as someone else said, people have been reported for less things.
    Helen

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

agree with everyone else

take them all with you but if a pain but safest possible way

ask them all if they need it whilst there

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The groups I attend have always had chidminders go to them, so if I need to go to the toilet, change a nappy, take mindee to the toilet etc, I leave the others with another cm.

I discuss this with parents & they have always been happy with it.

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I pick the groups that I go to carefully so I can always cope, mostly there are other childminders there or if its a new group I invite another minder to go with me.
    The farm park we go to regulary we have to use the disabled toilet so the buggy can fit.
    I use the children centre mostly and ask one of the support workers to watch one if I have to leave the room with another, fortunately the children's toilet is within view of the room and the main door is alarmed so all is safe.