Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: over 8's

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default over 8's

Hello fellow childminders!

Does anyone know how many over 8's we're 'allowed' to have at one time? And does anyone only look after over 8's? How do you find their behaviour? Are they harder work?

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: over 8's

If you are with NCMA it's 12 children in total including your own, Ofsted don't like it if they think the care of older children damages the care of under eights so be careful to plan for everyone

I like over eights because they are usually quite helpful and like the big sister/brother role, the only problem is those little hand held electronic games-how long do you let them play? you will have to work it out with their parents

Allie

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The older ones are great but they can get bored so try to have 2 or 3

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I renewed my buildings/contents insurance last week. My insurer was fine with me using the house for childminding but they stated a max number of children too. I forget how many it was but you might need to check with your company.

Sept 05
    Post Thanks / Like

hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

I have over 8's already, have had since i started childminding. what I was asking is if anyone has ONLY over 8's and so does not need to be registered in the early years category and does anyone know the max numbers you can have, as we are restricted in our numbers for the early years category. Is there a set number? you don't have to be registered to care for ONLY over 8's, although i would choose to stay on the voluntary register so that families can get childcare costs.

thanks

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    If you are with NCMA it's 12 children in total including your own, Ofsted don't like it if they think the care of older children damages the care of under eights so be careful to plan for everyone

I like over eights because they are usually quite helpful and like the big sister/brother role, the only problem is those little hand held electronic games-how long do you let them play? you will have to work it out with their parents

Allie
    Yes it is 12 in total but not 12 over 7's
    ncma insurance actually only covers you for 6 over 7's and 6 under, you can also just get the insurance for only over 7's only.
    http://www.*************/pdf/Over-7s_m...form_10-11.pdf
    I did check this as I have 4 of my own children and needed to be careful with the numbers in the house.
    ncma will cover you for more children with an assistant but you need to be careful with your household insurance.
    You can download the insurance from ncma and it does state the numbers covered.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Martin View Post
    hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

I have over 8's already, have had since i started childminding. what I was asking is if anyone has ONLY over 8's and so does not need to be registered in the early years category and does anyone know the max numbers you can have, as we are restricted in our numbers for the early years category. Is there a set number? you don't have to be registered to care for ONLY over 8's, although i would choose to stay on the voluntary register so that families can get childcare costs.

thanks
    This is what it says on the Ofsted fact sheet

Although the law restricts the numbers and ages of children that you may care for when registered on the Early Years Register and compulsory part of the Childcare Register, there is no such restriction if you are registered on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register. However if you are registered on both the voluntary part of the Childcare Register and the Early Years Register and/or the compulsory part of the Childcare Register, we will take into account all of the children you are responsible for when deciding on the maximum number of children you are allowed to care for. This includes those you care for as part of your registration on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register.

You can find it here

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home...nguage)/eng-GB

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chell View Post
    I renewed my buildings/contents insurance last week. My insurer was fine with me using the house for childminding but they stated a max number of children too. I forget how many it was but you might need to check with your company.
    My household insurers said a maximum of 6. As I can only get 6 in the car I was happy with this.

Cx