Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP what would you do?

Hi, been reg a while but just started minding and got first kids yesterday. Little girl was poorly yesterday, her first day, with bad cold, bad cough generally miserable poor thing. Told mum when collected her, didnt seem to concerned. Has arrived today even worse, has not stopped crying ( obviously her first week so bound to be upset but can tell it illness ) and brother who i take to school told me she has been up all night being sick Mother never mentioned this but only said little girl hasnt slept for 2 nights. NOw i think she should be at home. Have tried to contact mother to no avail. Would you send her home ?

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HELP what would you do?

YES...poor lil thing
    get in contact with the parents if anything say shes been sick and explain about your sickeness policy...sounds like the poor lil mite should be tucked up in her own bed

x x
    Jennie x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Would def be phoning to collect or at the very least a little 'chat' on the phone

Marian x

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would continue trying to contact Mum.

Explain that LO is not feeling very well and you believe she should be at home. Also say that her brother mentioned she had been sick last night and that she ought to have told you that. Explain again your sickness policy and the reason behind it.

You need to be firm with her now or she will always send her LOs to you when they are poorly.

It may be that she has just returned to work herself and is worried about having to take time off - but if you were to catch the sickness and be unable to work next week, then she would have to take even more time off work.

Be strong. Hope LO feels better soon.
    Helen

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum has denied she was sick. Asked me to give her some medicine she has when she has bad chest. Little one so upset, its awful for her to be here when she so unwell when she doesnt know me properly yet. Mum says this is what she like when has cold and bad chest and its not contagious so its ok Not for the little girl

Pipsqueak Guest

If she is poorly to the point she is upset/distressed then she should be at home.
    Its your call, don't let the parent dictate what you should be doing. You are not a nurse.

what medicine has mum asked you to give her?

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

4 steroid tablets in a drink which she wont take. If i insist im going to frighten her and she wont want to comme back when she is well. Have contacted mum again and said she needs to stay at work and is 1 or 2 hours ok. I said no She is really distressed, wont let me comfort her. No one else can collect her.

Apr 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got written permission to give her these steroid tablets - 4 is also a high dose - how long has she been on them - steroid tablets aren't given lightly - my daughter had a 5 day course due to an allergy - I would check why she has been prescribed them - it's normally once a day for children especially - maybe she has asthma?? I would find out. Good luck

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

What a difficult position to be put in on your first week I do however think this parent to taking the

I know you probably think it is easy for us all to say she must be collected now but she really does. It is not you fault or problem mum has nobody to collect but at the end of the day this is her child.

I would also be inclined to say if you let her leave the child now she will never have any respect for your rules and think she can always just leaver her little girl with you regardless of illness.

Don't be a door mat - my question would also have been to her was are you calling your son i liar then?
    Me x

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is really unfair of the mum to put you in this situation and not make sure that either herdelf or a family member could come and collect .... how is it all going?
    Louise x
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical creatures!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, as lovely as you are and as much as you are trying to make this little girls first week with you pleasant and enjoyable, all she is going to remember is feeling poorly and sad at your house.

As you say, she is not letting you comfort her cos she doesnt really know you just yet.

I would call Mum back and say that if she has not collected LO in half an hour, you will be contacting her emergency contact to come and get LO.

As someone else said, it may sound easy us all saying Call her to come back, but its only cos we have learnt through experience.

Its unfortunate that this is happening in your first week but I think you need to be firm.

Hope LO is better soon.
    Helen

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Malark View Post
    4 steroid tablets in a drink which she wont take. If i insist im going to frighten her and she wont want to comme back when she is well. Have contacted mum again and said she needs to stay at work and is 1 or 2 hours ok. I said no She is really distressed, wont let me comfort her. No one else can collect her.
    Have you permission to administer these tablets?
    Poor little bairn - she needs her mummy and to be at home.

As someone has already suggested - tell mum that you will be contacting the emergency contacts if she isn't with you asap.

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

unless i had written permission about this medication i wouldnt touch it... that poor lil lamb needs to be at home with her mum in her lil bed and her things around her

poor you for being in this situation but get that mother back to collect her lil girl she is taking advantage of you

x x x
    Jennie x x

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, its only getting worse. I have permission to administer prescribed meds given to me by mum. She rang me at 10.45 saying would be half an hour. STILL NOT HERE. has text me apologising and saying she had to sort out paying me, because although payment was due on monday in advance of care, turned up yesterday and said could not pay. Will try to sort for thurs Should i say i am not happy with situation and terminate. only signed temp contract for this week until she sorted hours at work. Im so stressed about this

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She has now cried herself to sleep About the sickness thing she told me she was sick in daddy's car last night. They can't both be lying.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give mum a copy of my sickness policy and payment policy when she collects. Tell her you need the money dropped off today at some point (maybe daddy can bring it round after work)
    If she is messing you around this early on and you do not put your foot down it will continue and doesn't bode well.

Good Luck. What a nightmare

xxxxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh the poor little one! Does mum realise what she has done!

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

No more advice to give! You must start though as you mean to go on, get payment today as otherwise you may not see it at all!! Good Luck!! Poor little thing!!
    xx Beckie xx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact an emergency contact NOW!!!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have contact details for 'daddy' at work? He may be more sympathetic and come and pick up. Mum may be worried about missing work having just gone back - I'd try daddy if mum hasn't come in the next half an hour.

This poor little one needs to be in her own bed. Remind parents of your sickness policy - you must be firm now otherwise they will continually think they can send her when she is so obviously poorly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast