Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I right to be this angry?

I sent a child home yesterday lunchtime after vomiting twice and having a runny nappy, he is 2 and a half. I have my own 3 year old and a 1 year old mindee here all day plus my elder son and 2 after schoolies. My sickness policy clearly states that no matter what you think your child may or may not be suffering from I have a 48 hour no return policy. I put his in place alongside the government recommendations to stop the spread of sickness. She is a teacher and should know this anyway, however who turns up on my doorstep at 8 o clock this morning? You guessed it said teacher! 'it's only a half day' she says so it would have been the best day to take off? No! she shoves screaming child through the door pullls the door shut herself and marches off to the car!
    I am so angry it is unreal, surely it is up to me wether I accept the child not the other way round? I have now had to call all other parents and warn them so they can make up thier minds if they send their children, I may lose a full days pay from 1 year old and my after schools fees because of this parents selfishness. The mother of one of the school age children has taken her son and MY SON to school so that her son isn't in the house with the child! How bad do I feel? I'm sorry for the very long rant but I wonder why i spend all the time I do reviewing policies and sending out parent packs with a form confirming they have read all my policies for them to sign!!! Please tell me I'm not being irrational I feel like i am going to explode when she turns up at 1 to pick him up! Sorry!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I right to be this angry?

Was it not possible to open the door and call after her? You are perfectly right to feel angry but if you dont do something about it then you will just be getting walked over again anytime soon

At the very least I would be having very strong words with this parent and following this up in writing - suggest if she wants to ignore your policy that she pay for the loss of earnings from the other kids you cannot have perhaps

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

NO NO NO

I would be ringing the teacher mum back & telling her to collect her child....i cannot beleive she shoved him through the door & walked away. If i couldnt get hold of her id be going down the emergancy list & getting someone out.....If you loose a whole days pay how would you ever get it back???

I'd be having a quiet word to mum to remind her of your policies & the 48 hour policy!!!

What if you get this bug...its not just 1 days pay you'll end up loosing
    wow 2012 already

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    Was it not possible to open the door and call after her? You are perfectly right to feel angry but if you dont do something about it then you will just be getting walked over again anytime soon

At the very least I would be having very strong words with this parent and following this up in writing - suggest if she wants to ignore your policy that she pay for the loss of earnings from the other kids you cannot have perhaps

Brilliant!!
    wow 2012 already

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously need to toughen up and stop trying to be everyones friend I think! This is a business but I need the money and normally they are great. I don't like rocking the boat as it makes me feel sick! I just can't see why her job would be more important than mine, which is essentially what she is saying by doing this! Thanks for the replies it's made me feel a bit better knowing I'm not overreacting!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    I agree with that. She shouldn't have brought the child to you, but then you didn't need to take it in.
    You've spent time texting (and possibly inconveniencing) other parents when it should have been this parent who was inconvenienced. As a parent I'd be annoyed that a sick child was allowed into the house, while I was given the option of keeping my healthy child away!

Did you tell her yesterday that she couldn't bring the child back to you for 48hrs?

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

no your not being irrational what a cheek i would of kept ringing her to say come back and pick child up,why should you have to lose other mindies because of her, ive had to take another day of as my lo is poorly and yes im losing money but thats whats could being responsible thankgoodness my 3 parents are ok. be strong and ring her now tell her to pick up now and youl see her monday.give her another copy of sickness policy as shes probably never reads it, i hop you dont get it its a horrible bug.and good luck hope you get it sorted.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right, you do need to toughen up. This child should never have been allowed into your home today.

I would give her a ring and tell her to collect straight away and reiterate your sickness policy. If not, say you will contact her emergency contacts to get the child collected as a priority.

She must understand that this is not acceptable. Blimey, I'd be fuming if I were you. What a blinking cheek! She sounds really selfish and as if she's fully prepared to take advantage of your lovely nature.

I too would be annoyed if I was the parent of one of your other mindees.

xx

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would phone her up and say that the child needs collecting as she is going against your policy, lie and say that ofsted would disprove strongly, and say if she doesnt pick the child up in the next hour then you will contact the next perosn on the emergency list until someone does collect......

be strong, sending hugs xxx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

take him to her school and leave him in the office

who does she think she is
    IS BACK

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I did tell her and she is also very aware of it being a teacher it is the schools policy too! She is coming a 12 now and I will have it out with her then. The other mum was happy to send the 1 year old as she had alredy been in contact with the sick child yesterday before I sent him home. The 1 year old only started last week and was ill on Thursday so she stayed away Friday through the parent understanding my policies! They haven't even begun their real contract yet!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maryp0ppins View Post
    NO NO NO

I would be ringing the teacher mum back & telling her to collect her child....i cannot beleive she shoved him through the door & walked away. If i couldnt get hold of her id be going down the emergancy list & getting someone out.....If you loose a whole days pay how would you ever get it back???

I'd be having a quiet word to mum to remind her of your policies & the 48 hour policy!!!

What if you get this bug...its not just 1 days pay you'll end up loosing
    tell her if she ever does it again, you'll be terminating without notice - she has willfully ignored the terms of one of your policies - I would see this as a breach of contract. Then, I'd fake 2 days sickness tell her you caught it from her little one and tell her you can't work

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How would she like it if she had sick kids in her class - spreading their germs to her and the other kids..??? She should know better, esp as she works with kids.. she should know how strict OFSTED are and how NB it is for child carers to have policies in place (and to stick to them!!!)... beggars belief!

I would call her and tell her to collect her child... and if she doesn't come, consult her emergency contact numbers.

SHE needs to be inconvenienced for her child's illness... NOT your other parents.

Good luck...
    Jen

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    take him to her school and leave him in the office

who does she think she is
    good idea Hebs!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would actually type her up a letter covering what has happened today and the reasons why it is unacceptable and including a fresh copy of your sickness policy and get her to sign a copy of it for your file.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spangles View Post
    I would actually type her up a letter covering what has happened today and the reasons why it is unacceptable and including a fresh copy of your sickness policy and get her to sign a copy of it for your file.
    I think I would do this too. I cant believe she works in a school too, they have exactly the same policy

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

and

That's my reaction to that parent - what a completely selfish woman. Stand your ground at 12.00 and make sure she knows this can never happen again (says she who also needs to be tougher )

Let us know how you get on.
    Cazz x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. Personally I wouldn't have let her drive away! I would have taken the child back out and given it back to the parent! She needs a reminder of your policy and the fact that you are not doing it to be difficult but to protect the other children's health in your care.

Let us know how you got on when she picked up.
    Georgina x

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a good idea and then you know there can't be any misunderstandings next time.

Hope she's picked up by now and you're OK

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You've had great advise already so nothing to add except (((hugs)))
    Hope you're ok.

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast