Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Topics???

Registered Childminder since
    oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Topics???

I was just wondering how many of u do topics and how often u change them!!!

I do one every month but dont seem to be touchin on much!!!!

Is that too much??

Do u have to do topics and change them often???

Im a little lost x x x
    hey....who said that......show ur self......i no u r there.......I CAN HEAR U!!!!!!

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Topics???

Hi I plan topics each month based around the children's interests.

I always try and include as many celebrations and special days as I can.

The children I have seem to learn loads from monthly topics and it also helps further their interests.

moogster1a Guest

I hate topics. Wouldn't dream of doing them. I think with such young children / babies it's a bit silly top be honest.
    And no, we don't have to do them.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the past 2 years I have worked out two systems for topics!

In the first year I had monthly topics and for the age of children I had then and they came 3 - 4 days a week -this worked out fine - 3+ years of age.

Then I had younger ones much more part time so worked on a more basic system of 3 monthly 'season' topics with celebrations and one other theme to bring out if needed. With free play this was enough for them. An activity was often done over a few days as the different children came ie chinese new year.

What I am saying, I guess, is that I have found that it all depends on the ages of mindees and how often they come.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

as above, monthly, based on what 'hot' that month!! but if I have older kids over a school hol. eg half-term, we have a week topic, eg 'The Journey' ....
    Last edited by Tina O; 23-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    God Bless xx T

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I think with young children you can go over the top and over there heads.ie for winter maybe do snowmen, white play doh,etc but dont take things to the extreme. Also things like chinese new year we just touch on them some art work etc but thats it, it can get too much for little ones.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once children reach the age of 3 (or thereabouts) they are ready for more interesting learning than just following what they already know... how else would they learn new things??

So it is good to extend their horizons and one way of doing this is through what is called 'topic' or 'theme' based learning.

I use this method a lot and I find the children really enjoy it.

I use it alongside following children's interests, the outings we already do, the cultural celebrations etc that we already follow.

To start with I pencil in the 4 seasons... that's 4 months taken care of! Then we do a lot of weather based activities... then I look at things I know interest children such as minibeasts, clothes and dressing up, those kinds of things.

You must find a balance between children's interests and extending their learning and development... but it must always be grounded in play.

So long as you do that you are helping to produce well rounded children

May 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I find topics a great way to decide what resources i'm going to use to extend the childrens learning. If you're not following some kind of lose plan then it's much more difficult to think of new ideas.

We're doing Nursery rhymes at the minute and even the small babies can enjoy joining in and toddlers have enjoyed making digestive biscuit spiders and glueing and sticking pictures.

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Im still pre reg but I have a lot of friends who childmind and they have all advised me to do topics but to plan each activity to suit the different ages. eg Nursery rhymes so even small babies can join in.

I do think its harder for us to plan as unlike a nursery all our children tend to be different ages therefore its harder to plan a topic to suit the childrens interests.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I think a month is long enough as you dont want them to lose interest and get bored

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a topic each month, relating to the childrens interest, time of year, special celebrations etc. I only incorporate them in every day routines and only do the odd structured activity surrounding them.

Too much structure and work surrounding topics is stressfull and too time consuming plus the children will get enough of that when they get to pre-school and school.

Learn through play is the best and my motto is:

'variety keeps young children interested and whilst they are interested........They are learning!'

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sarah707 to a certain degree anyway. I meant very young children do not need alot of topic things ie 1-2 years,

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I now use the 4 seasons and special dates as my planning. After an observation I will put the next steps in my planning aswell. I used to use topics and for the first 6 months I found it useful to get me started and to give me an idea of where to start and what to do. My mindees are mostly under 20 months now so it would go way over their head. Sometimes I will just use a story sack and plan a craft around a particular book with them on a particular day. This works for me. They are all little at the moment and do I follow their interests too.
    Last edited by angiemog; 25-02-2010 at 09:32 AM.