Dropping children home?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dropping children home?

Just wondering if I should offer this or not. Parent has no car, have 1 full time and 1 before and after school & they stay for dinner, then parent walks to collect them. First day yesterday, and they spent 15 mins messing about putting coats on. Mum said it was bit of a nightmare walking home. They live within a mile and I can drop off after other child gone home.

Does anyone else do this? What do you think about it?

Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dropping children home?

I wouldnt drop off, a mile isnt that far to walk, I know plenty of minders who walk a mile with children for the school run.

Straws xx

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

NO NO NO - don't ---

I say this because if you have other mindees or other committments that crop up and you have to stop then she will see it as you are letting them down - on the other hand if every now and again you offer to drop them off for her every now and again and I mean now and again - but not on a regular day and not weekly then you will be seen as nice and kind.
    Celest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do what suits you best. I would offer to take home if it meant that I didn't have the messing about when mum collects. It wouldn't have taken you 15minutes to have put them in the car dropped off and back home and finished for the day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven Scent View Post
    NO NO NO - don't ---

I say this because if you have other mindees or other committments that crop up and you have to stop then she will see it as you are letting them down - on the other hand if every now and again you offer to drop them off for her every now and again and I mean now and again - but not on a regular day and not weekly then you will be seen as nice and kind.
    I agree. I was going to say pretty much the same. I have done it for one of mine before when it has been pouring with rain and I have felt too guilty to send him out to get soaked, but would not do it as routine for fear of getting tied into it.
    Georgina x

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do drop offs at home- when it suits me. And its not written into contract for certain days, etc just if im passing or if it means i dont have parents staying after contracted hours for a 'chat'...iyswim? I also pick up from homes in term time, otherwise they tend to turn up earlier than contracted, but also this is to suit me and if i didnt want to pick up parents would be fine.
    Do whats best for you, and if its going to be a regular thing add on a fee so it makes it worth while x

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldnt i think parent would rely on you, might cause certain problems like a lot experienced over the snowy weather. Might be more hassle than its worth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've dropped off in past and charged £2 for travel and £2 for the 30 mins trip to do drop off... you could do this and charge.. or do whenever you feel like it... sometimes my parents don't always pick up on time at 6pm and this has lead my 6.30 drop off to be even later.. sometimes you can't always tell if things are going to work for you until you try them...

you could offer the mum a trial period of dropping off.. or get child ready to go for when mum arrives so there's no messing around with coats etc..

I'm sorry if I've confused you more.. I hope I've helped a lil...

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a daily drop off from my one mindee. The good thing is when you drop off thats it however if they are running late you can hang around outside which is a pain.
    I see working with the parents as a partnership and I try and make their life easier. Even drop mum at the tube when its raining!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I've never offered this as a service only as a one -off say, if mum was really sick or something.

from other posts I've seen parents have been not best pleased when the 'service' which is in fact a favour, gets removed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never offered this service and wouldn't start now. Very occasionally I will drop mindees off at home when we've been on a trip out and come back later than they would normally be collected. I think I've taken pity on walking mindees and parents a handful of times when the weather has been atrocious and taken them home if it fits with everything else we do (ie it's the end of the day and they're my last mindees to go), but otherwise you could be making a real rod for your own back. Also there's a lot to be said for making people stand on their own two feet, get themselves organised and walking won't do the children any harm.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't offer this either but I would get child's coat on ready for leaving next time to avoid the faffing! Ha!

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No I wouldn't drop off either, lots of my parents choose to walk when dropping off and collecting, a mile is not far, I wouldn't even offer as a one off as they would start to expect it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your views, probably will not end up doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone do this and have a positive experience? DH thinks I should offer it, might lose children if they get fed up with the walk. The 3 year old is so tired at the end of the day, and mum told me tonight it takes 1/2 hr to 40 mins to get home.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

could she not put the 3 year old in a buggy, lots of children this age are still in buggies, I personally don't use a buggy after the children reach 3 years but all of my mindees have been really good walkers, they don't have any choice really as I rarely use the car and currently have 3 school runs a day. If the mindee is too tired to walk home his mum should put him back in a buggy or maybe she couldget the child to ride his bike and leave it at your house during the day so he can ride it home

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Dropping children home?

I agree with people who have said "do it if it suits you." I drop three children off at home twice a week because I am going straight to college afterwards and I would be going out in the car anyway. It suits me because I am not left waiting for children to be picked up. I don't charge any extra but charge for the time it takes.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carol cameron View Post
    I agree with people who have said "do it if it suits you." I drop three children off at home twice a week because I am going straight to college afterwards and I would be going out in the car anyway. It suits me because I am not left waiting for children to be picked up. I don't charge any extra but charge for the time it takes.
    yes, I think I would do it in that case too. then you can just knock it on the head when college end.

McGons, tell DH not to worry. If someone likes you and has been coming for a while they are not going to stop for that reason. She can always get the bus

Pipsqueak Guest

I do a drop off with one of my mindees but this purely because of the circumstances behind the contract. It works out just fine

BUT I don't think I would offer for my 'normal' contracted mindees unless i was going that way and only on an occasional time on the other hand though i would do it for a fee!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

well i used to do a 32 mile round trip twice a day to collect and drop off a mindee but only cos she was family

i do offer it as part of my service (no extra charge) works for me
    IS BACK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast