great toolkits for learning environment/outdoors
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jumpinjen Guest

Default great toolkits for learning environment/outdoors

I found these, both from the last couple of years and both really easy to use with some great tips for resources/ areas of learning both indoors and out.

http://little-blossoms-childminding....vironment.html

jenni

Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: great toolkits for learning environment/outdoors

Have marked it to read later but looks good thanks.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i use the norfolk schools one to show interested parents - to help them see why so much of what we do is outdoors and forest based. it hangs in the hall and new parents take it away to read through ( or not!)

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats really helpful Jenni, I was looking at devoping play stuff in the garden, so thats a great help

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    i use the norfolk schools one to show interested parents - to help them see why so much of what we do is outdoors and forest based. it hangs in the hall and new parents take it away to read through ( or not!)
    I'd love to hear more about your outdoor stuff!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

im lucky jen -i live in sherwood forest ( in a house not a tree mind!). a few years ago i worked at a preschool where we set up forest school sessions , and i just make the most of the opportunity. nothing i do is 'special' - lots of the kinds of things you found in those links. its just that being outdoors means they can really take everything about their environment onboard. i rarely ' plan' these 'outings' we just go with the flow , freeplay always leads us somewhere different. i try to explain the benefits to parents when they visit so they arent likely to use me if they are going to worry about their darling getting a bit muddy , or a grazed knee. there are lots of days when i am less enthusiastic mind , and a warm house and nearby kettle is much more attractive to me!

jumpinjen Guest

im lucky jen -i live in sherwood forest ( in a house not a tree mind!). a few years ago i worked at a preschool where we set up forest school sessions , and i just make the most of the opportunity. nothing i do is 'special' - lots of the kinds of things you found in those links. its just that being outdoors means they can really take everything about their environment onboard. i rarely ' plan' these 'outings' we just go with the flow , freeplay always leads us somewhere different. i try to explain the benefits to parents when they visit so they arent likely to use me if they are going to worry about their darling getting a bit muddy , or a grazed knee. there are lots of days when i am less enthusiastic mind , and a warm house and nearby kettle is much more attractive to me!
    Oh, you sound so my kind of person!!! I warn my parents also that there will be mud and bumps! We live close to staffs/Shropshire and have a national trust card so we spend many a morning exploring..... especially our favourite few magical places!! In the garden i try to put out very open-ended resources for building dens/ making potions/ digging/ mixing etc, but I'm always on the look out for new ideas and really liked some of the ones on there... i'm into Montessori also and found some fab ideas this week for using it out of doors so lots to do when i have a minute!!

That is the benefit of a garden environment... the warm house and kettle aren't that far and a cuppa in hand in a cold garden is soooo nice, especially with a bit of spring sunshine!!!!

Jen x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

id love to find out more about linking montessori and outdoor provision - have you got a link?

this is myfavourite book http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/cat/MP/MSntn.html

mar 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks interesting, im starting my own version of forest school with a couple of cm`s

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Some really interesting links there thank you.
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Evening Jenni and everyone. Had a look at those 2 links earlier on your blog. This prompted me to take a trip to Ikea this afternoon (obviously spending just over £70 - lol!). I picked up some Lack tables so I can set up separate play areas more easily.

The outdoor ideas are great too - unfortunately I don't have a useable garden but I am only 10 mins from the New Forest so lots of opportunity for some muddy wet play! I have to keep reminding my parents to send the kids in old clothes as 9 times out of 10 they go home filthy!!

jumpinjen Guest

id love to find out more about linking montessori and outdoor provision - have you got a link?

this is myfavourite book http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/cat/MP/MSntn.html
    I loved what they had to say on the website.... if only i lived in Scotland!!! Which book do you like particularly??

I haven't got a link for the Montessori.... my information came from the module that I am studying for my level 4 in Montessori Early Years. i can make a list of ideas for you if you would like them?

Jenni

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by balijay View Post
    Evening Jenni and everyone. Had a look at those 2 links earlier on your blog. This prompted me to take a trip to Ikea this afternoon (obviously spending just over £70 - lol!). I picked up some Lack tables so I can set up separate play areas more easily.

The outdoor ideas are great too - unfortunately I don't have a useable garden but I am only 10 mins from the New Forest so lots of opportunity for some muddy wet play! I have to keep reminding my parents to send the kids in old clothes as 9 times out of 10 they go home filthy!!
    That is lovely.... we are often away from home to enjoy natural spaces too... I find all-in-one puddle suits re brilliant for keping clothes dry and toddlers comfortable!! I'm concocting a post about my favourite nature sites with lovely resources to use with little ones, it'll be up soon, time permitting!!!

Jenni

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumof4 View Post
    Looks interesting, im starting my own version of forest school with a couple of cm`s
    Sounds interesting.... tell me more!!!

jen