Thread: Visit

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Visit

Help again please

I more or less confirmed a child today with a friend who i have known for years but not seen for years if u know what i mean! She told me she is happy for her little one to come to me but her hubby would like to meet me this weekend....... My husband will be at home and she says he dont want to see anything inparticular but just wants to meet me (he has never met me before) I totally understand the reasons why but really unsure on how to go about it???? He doesnt want to see any paperwork, policies etc just wants to meet me, so how do i go about it?????
    Thanks everyone xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Visit

Invite him into your home be your normal happy self, have things close to hand incase change of mind wants to see policies etc... Talk about activities, outings, and daily routines so he knows what his child would be doing. Tell him about yourself and family.

At the end of the day he probally just wants to see where and who his child will be spending the day with
    Avril x

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have been minding for 9 years and always seem to have a panic before a visit. Should I do it this way or should I do that first. From what you have said, he just wants to meet you and will be happy once he has met and seen your setting.

I try to keep it very low key on the first meeting but it depends on how the visit goes. You should get a feel for how the meeting is going, you can decide if you need to show any paper work or just ask if there are any questions he wants to ask.

Relax, they are coming to your home where you are at ease, they are the visitors, you'll be fine.

Hope it goes ok, let us know.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like hubby just want's to meet you. He probably has heard about you as you are an old friend of his wife and now minding his child and its probably more of a social visit than anything else. Just be yourself

July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Put the kettle on!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else. get a few toys out and talk a bit to the little one. he may ask to see your paperwork/portfolio (a lot of Dad's don't in my experience) and then chat to him.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else. get a few toys out for little one, and chat to him. He may ask to see your paperwork/portfolio (a lot of Dad's don't in my experience).

July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avril View Post
    Invite him into your home be your normal happy self, have things close to hand incase change of mind wants to see policies etc... Talk about activities, outings, and daily routines so he knows what his child would be doing. Tell him about yourself and family.

At the end of the day he probally just wants to see where and who his child will be spending the day with
    I agree, was in a similar situation, it was weird as the dad didnt ask anything about childminding (the first time mum covered the CM aspects in previous visits) and just seemed to want to meet me and my hubby and kids . . . just sat and chatting with a cuppa and some biscuits while my boys played with the baby coz down to basics childminding is a family effort!! . . . got the job!!

Just be your lovely friendly self (but have your porfolio i.e. policies, risk assessment, activities, etc. just in case)

Good Luck!!! and Enjoy!!!

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kindertime View Post
    Put the kettle on!
    Perfect start,
    I offer all my Newies a cuppa first, kinda makes you look like a normal person, relaxed & happy to have them in your company
    wow 2012 already

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

He he, thanks guys, you have confirmed what i was thinking too so i will just be my normal self. I mean, on the initial visit her mum came with her too which i wasn't expecting at all so when i saw her pull up with her mum in the car too i was like 'oh no, ive got two people to impress now' but it went brilliant and she said she would be more than happy for me to have LO but just wants speak to her hubby so he has some kind of input in it to humour him! My hubby usual has a beer on a sunday afternoon to go along with the footy but its cuppas all round!!! lol x

Lady Haha Guest

One visit I had from an old friend who the brought her husband for the initial visit was the same thing really.

We had a cuppa and went through all the policies etc and showed them around, mum was chatting and asking lots of questions etc, but dad didn't say a word! Just sat there!

Mum said to me after that although it looked like wasnt interested, he was silently taking everything in and he was impressed!