Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Data Protection - the latest info I have

I have all my mindees details on paper, write obs on pc but with no identifying details and take photos on digital camera - printing them at home on a personal printer (not through PC)

As far as I knew, no reason to notify the ICO. (needed to check about obs to be sure)

BUT - as I use my digital camera, and even though I print and delete them, this is a reason to notify. They went off to double check for me and came back with as it is digital, then yes!

Sarah707, I am sure you found out you didn't need to? How? as it seems we can't escape the ICO!!

Anyone else still in the dark with it all?
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Data Protection - the latest info I have

thanks for the info, I dont know Im afraid but look forward to any more info
    Louise x
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical creatures!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I last spoke to them, they advised me to do the online checklist -

http://www.ico.gov.uk/notify/self/question1.html

That came up as me not needing to register.

I'd be interested in other people's comments who have completed it please

TheBTeam Guest

Red face Re: Data Protection - the latest info I have

Not entirely sure, but i am guessing if you have a photo of the child and their contact details on your computer then this means you must register.

I use my digital camera and phone to take photos and then print and delete them so I guess this means I have to register too, and I was thinking I my not want to delete them as I may want to make a book for the children!

Not sure what the website told me as it came up with two boxes notify and exempt, so unless i can be bothered to retype all the contact details and insert photos every time they need a change then maybe i should register!
    Last edited by TheBTeam; 17-02-2010 at 06:58 PM.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure - all the details about my mindees are all on paper - I do my obs on paper and the only things stored on the computer are photographs (for when I want to make photo books for the children at the end of the year and when they leave me) which are incorporated with photos of my own children - these are stored on my external hard drive rather than the computer and therefore not accessible to any outside source; and my invoices which only have the child's first name on them.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just done it and got a yes, 1st i knew of it so had better do it I guess.

Less and less about childcare and more and more about an OFSTED tick box exercise.......they will be inspecting in the womb before long......

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    When I last spoke to them, they advised me to do the online checklist -

http://www.ico.gov.uk/notify/self/question1.html

That came up as me not needing to register.

I'd be interested in other people's comments who have completed it please

hi thanks for this i have been on the site, and it also said that i neednt register

ziller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I have all my mindees details on paper, write obs on pc but with no identifying details and take photos on digital camera - printing them at home on a personal printer (not through PC)

As far as I knew, no reason to notify the ICO. (needed to check about obs to be sure)

BUT - as I use my digital camera, and even though I print and delete them, this is a reason to notify. They went off to double check for me and came back with as it is digital, then yes!

Sarah707, I am sure you found out you didn't need to? How? as it seems we can't escape the ICO!!

Anyone else still in the dark with it all?

I got this response too when I called last week, twice and even after they had spoken to a team leader. It's not written anywhere in the guide to notifying and I questioned that with them but they said because the memory card in the camera is a means of electronic processing I needed to notifity, so I have. I don't use my computer to store any personal data and upload photos direct from my camera at the photo processors. They said it had come up a lot recently, NCMA said the same when I rang them and also said I should notify and were passing my comments on to look into it further for clarification.

I'd rather be on the safe side, and if we end up not needing to notify, it just means I won't pay again next year!

TheBTeam Guest

Right, I have decided that i can not be bothered to even work out exactly what i may or may not do according to their list and am going to register! Well that was an easy decision to make, but a d*m sight harder to do, I have selected 'general' then 'unclassified' as there seems to be nothing nearer, and well the template bears no relation to what I do!

So where from here?

TheBTeam Guest

Back again and thought would try the education template for playgroup/after school club etc, and it is still way above anything we do, but it did mention gp contact details, so I am guessing that as i hold them on my computer as part of my emergency contact details with photos and phone numbers etc, then it at least confirms i should register, cos too much work to keep deleting and retyping all this!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ms xxxxx
    Thank you for your email of 19 May. If the photographs of the children are taken with a digital camera and/or stored on the computer, notification will be required as this is classed as electronic processing.

You can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/...ification.aspxor by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740. The fee is £35.00 (VAT nil) annually.

Regards

Notification Department

this is the reply to my e mail back in May last year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    Back again and thought would try the education template for playgroup/after school club etc, and it is still way above anything we do, but it did mention gp contact details, so I am guessing that as i hold them on my computer as part of my emergency contact details with photos and phone numbers etc, then it at least confirms i should register, cos too much work to keep deleting and retyping all this!
    Click on 'services' (I think) there is a template for childminders. I clicked on them all to find it!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonia ann View Post
    Dear Ms xxxxx
    Thank you for your email of 19 May. If the photographs of the children are taken with a digital camera and/or stored on the computer, notification will be required as this is classed as electronic processing.

You can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/...ification.aspxor by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740. The fee is £35.00 (VAT nil) annually.

Regards

Notification Department

this is the reply to my e mail back in May last year

Really does seem madness as I have parental permission for photos and I am printing them myself anyway but I will play on the safe side and register. If in the next 12 months they decide cameras are ok as long you don't put pics onto PC from the memory card then I will not renew!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies