Nappy changes, where in your home?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nappy changes, where in your home?

As above really...........
    I have always changed the children on a wiper-able changing mat in my living room i have wooden flooring so i can easily wipe over with detol.
    Any way i would love to hear some other comments as i had a new cm come over the other day being nosey as they do lol and she said "you shouldn't change children in the living room, you should use the back part your kitchen''
    omg

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nappy changes, where in your home?

I to use the lounge and turn my back on other children in the room to put a little bit of privacy between child being changed and the others playing. this way i am in the room with everyone, changing mat is at floor level so if i did need to move quickly to help another child it is safe to do so as the child being changed can not falll anywhere

do it where you and the child feel safe

like you wipeable mat in the living room...dont have the space in the kitchen so wouldnt be very hygenic ...

sorry I didnt go into detail but I do the same as above
    Last edited by It's a small world; 15-02-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

in the ideal world I would use my downstairs bathroom but its too small to do it safely

I to use the lounge and turn my back on other children in the room to put a little bit of privacy between child being changed and the others playing. this way i am in the room with everyone, changing mat is at floor level so if i did need to move quickly to help another child it is safe to do so as the child being changed can not falll anywhere

do it where you and the child feel safe
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Post Thanks / Like

I use wipeable mat in downstairs loo - just enough room for mat, I'm through the doorway.

I think the lounge is better than in the kitchen, and think it states in the food hygiene pack not to nappy change near food prep areas.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I change nappies on the dining table in the room where we're playing ...not as bad as it sounds!!

I have a washable plastic cloth that goes down first, then the changing mat. On the table I have all the nappies, baby wipes, cloths, antibac wipes, hand gel, nappy sacks etc set out.

I set it up in the morning, pack it away at night & give the table a good clean (though nothing could actually get onto the table.) It's basically a changing station!

The little ones don't use that table in the day as they have their own child sized tables. I used to change nappies on the mat on the floor, but as I tend to look after mainly babies, I was changing lots of nappies during the day & had horrible back ache. Changing them at the table means I'm not bending as much.
    And it means I have everything set out for nappy changing, out of the way of little ones, so can do nappy changes quickly & easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I use wipeable mat in downstairs loo - just enough room for mat, I'm through the doorway.
    oooh, I do this too. All my nappy changing things are in individual stackable boxes (small ones) on a shelf in my downstairs bathroom. Each child in nappies has their own wipe clean travel change mat (poundland).
    I definitely agree that changing nappies in a kitchen should be a no no. Before we had our downstairs loo put in I used to change nappies in the corner of the lounge in a space between the sofa and the wall. It gave a degree of privacy for the child and stopped other mindees getting in the way (trying to clamber over etc)

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a bungalow and always change nappies in the bathroom.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I change children on a big wipe-able mat using the sofa as my base...

Everything is collected first and brought over to the sofa and spread around me so I never have to leave the child unattended.

The sofa has a waterproof cover in case of wee accidents.

I was finding that my back hurt when I bent over and my knees hurt when I knelt down

I think I am getting old

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the same as Sarah, I change my mindies on a changing mat on the sofa. I dont do floors as struggle to get up (poor knees and back).

If I have the after schoolies, I take the changing mat and bits into my own lounge, to give them all privacy....giggles, sounds like I change the after schoolies nappies

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

since the dr told me to stop kneeling i use the top of the trofast unit as a changing station.
    i wouldn't use my kitchen, i have tiled floor and it's freezing on the floor in there

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I change them on a changing mat just outside my downstairs loo which is off the playroom, i can maintain privacy as its around the corner- if you know what i mean When i've finished i can put the nappy in the nappy bin in the loo, everything else is packed away in there too, the changer hangs on the back of the door, then i wash my hands.
    I kneel, bit of a struggle to get up sometimes but i manage. I'm interested to know how you manage on the sofa because it would kill my back to twist round

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i change them on the kitchen sink so its easy to wash my hands afterwards!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I change my mindee in the hallway (big square) on a wipeable mat. Sometimes he is very wriggly, so I might change him in the living room where he can see the TV and that keeps him still long enough to do up the nippas (he uses real nappies).
    They are a pain and the mum did say she was going to use disposables, but has not happened yet
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Downstairs bathroom is next to playroom and I use changing mat on the floor. I have baskets for each child in airing cupbaord so everything to hand.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Amongst all the clean dishes that are airdrying

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a utility room that has a large worktop. I change them in there as it's next to the loo. I can't do floor cos of me poor old back Each child in nappies has their own mat ( travel ones ) and their bags are kept out there for ease.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a changing mat on the lounge floor. I too struggle with my knees and back at times but couldn't manage on the sofa. A friend of mine manages it on her knee as she has back problems but i am not that talented
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the floor or the sofa too.

For those suffering back problems my physio advised that the sofa was the best place

He almost had a fit when I told him what I do for a living as in his eyes from a professional point of view this job is the work of the devil Between the buggies, the car seats, lifting kids etc etc he wasnt remotely surprised I suffer

Oh, that and using the laptop too much is also bad for us

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I change them in the hallway and they are screened by the stairs - private for them but I can also hear the others and see them if they are playing just inside the front room.

Generally, they all line up at the front room door to have a nose - so I can see them all anyway!!!
    Helen

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I change them wherever they want to be changed, in the lounge or in the hallway. I pop a mat under them and get on. I have a very small house so am always near the bathroom sink for hand-washing and nappy disposal.
    I would not change them in the back, front or middle of my kitchen though...although thinking about it this is probably just a wind up post anyway since no one would change a nappy in a kitchen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast