Advice Needed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice Needed

Hi

Did you all send your application to Ofsted before you had all your policies done?

I am having some work done on my kitchen do you think I should hold off sending my application or send it anyway?

Are the pre reg visits really in depth on the National Standards? so would I need to read everything and remember everything for this visit? Is it really as scarey as it sounds?

What do you all think

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice Needed

Just wanted to say welcome

I registered a long time ago way before pre-reg visits so can't be much help there - sorry

Miffy xx

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Advice Needed

Hi i had my pre-visit a few weeks ago they dont really go in depth with the standards. Just ask a few questions on what you might do for different cultures. what you would give a child as a snakc things like that. I didnt have any policies done they didnt ask for any either. I know how your feeling as i was worring thinking i had to be ready to start childminding. She said they come out about 6 months after your registered to check things over. I think thats when they grade you too.
    Good luck and dont worry
    Chelle x

Teresa Guest

hi i was having a new floor put down in my kitchen when i had my pre veg , just explained that it would be done before i started minding and all the equpiment etc would be moved to my gargage, the was fine about it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted are generally quite realistic about things like new kitchens etc - so long as you are confident in telling them you will have the work done before you start minding and that you will risk assess it if there's something not quite finished, then I wouldn't worry too much

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I originally had a phone call to arrange to be inspected when I had a flatpacked kitchen in my hall. The inspector arranged to come a week later when the new kitchen was in but the old one was in the garden. She just said "You will be moving that before you start minding?"

I think that they are prettty sensible about these things.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    Hi

Did you all send your application to Ofsted before you had all your policies done?

I am having some work done on my kitchen do you think I should hold off sending my application or send it anyway?

Are the pre reg visits really in depth on the National Standards? so would I need to read everything and remember everything for this visit? Is it really as scarey as it sounds?

What do you all think
    you dont have to have them done for pre-reg, but it would impress in the inspector that your aware you need to have them etc...

My pre-reg inspector was very nice, and i would advise that you do have a good knowledge on the standards as they will ask you some questions.

I was asked what I would do if I suspected a child being abused, what would i do if a child hurt themselves or needed medication, how do I plan to keep the children safe when we are out and about, its more "what would you do if" and if you answer according to what the standards say, your'll be fine!

Its a similar to a job interview to be honest, and as with all interviews you need to be prepared. They should be fine with the kitchen being done, obviously you will need to reassure the inspector all work will be done by the time you start to mind!
    Last edited by peggy; 13-03-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    x-x peggy x-x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my pre reg visit ofsted turned up unanounced (she got me mixed up with someone else, whos house she should have been at! she'd picked up the wrong file )
    Anyway, at the time I was having my kitchen & dining room knocked into one room and we were living at my mum and dads house as it was that bad and had rubble everywhere, electric wires hanging down from the roof, power tools everywhere and no kitchen. The inspector was not fazed at all and said she had seen worse! She said that she would have gone through with the pre reg provided I could guarantee kitchen would all be finished before I started looking after kids.
    I did ask her to come back on another day though as I was not in the right frame of mind for the visit, she came back a week later.
    So. I wouldn't worry too much.
    Amaranth xx

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Right I'm going against what everyone else has said because my pre reg-inspector was a real dragon I have since discovered that she is like this with everyone and people dread getting her for thier routine inspections.

She was with me 2 and a half hours and systematically went through the 14 standards

On a lighter note she didn't ask to see any policies, but it was a blessing that I had written risk assesments on each room I wanted registered
    Buttons xx

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, and welcome Ihad my inspection last Dec and it was not half as bad as I thought it was gonna be. So don't worry oh and you will get loads of help and advice on here, I certaintly did everyone is fab. Just keep asking loads of questions. Let me know how you get on

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Know your standards!!! My inspector went through each standard and pulled each one to pieces to make sure I knew them in and out. Without my written policies I would have struggled. I dont think the kitchen would be a problem but make sure you know about health and safety.