Accreditited. Shall I bother or not
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Accreditited. Shall I bother or not

I have started the accreditation process but there is so much they are expecting of me that I am trying to weigh up if its worth it. I thought it was a good idea when I started.
    I have to do a business plan , commit to 24 hours of training a year, which will be in the evenings and weekends, register with enviromental health, hand over a copy of my SEF, update my policies etc and all this before I start the strict planning and deliver the education side of it. Then have visits.
    All this takes away from actually caring for the kids.
    I think I've made up my mind, I'm not going to bother.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Accreditited. Shall I bother or not

sorry for asking what is probably a daft question, but seeing as I'm new to all this I will ask anyway, what does it mean to be accredited?
    thanks!
    Francine X

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

it means you can offer the free entitlement for 3 year olds. you know free 15 hours a week of childcare paid for by government

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks!
    Francine X

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean . I have just started the process of joining the network and becoming accredited but the paperwork seems endless and there is so much to do. Already spend my week being really busy with the kids that I look after and then Saturdays it's cleaning the house top to bottom and Sunday it's a minimum of 4 hours paperwork....if not longer . I just feel that becoming accredited is going to make my life harder and not easier

Nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also looking at it - been asked by two parents about doing it now... extra work puts me off too, but thought it might be a chance to meet new CM's and share more ideas which might gee me up a bit... don't know what to do

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided not to….. after years and years and years of waiting for the opportunity to do it if you’re reliant on childminding income and will be for a long time to come then tbh it is probably worth doing because they may come a time when the government- which ever gets in- decides to extend free places to every child-or at least every child over 2- and childminders may eventually get squeezed out and forced to provide wrap-round, unsocial hours just to survive But another good reason for joining a network and becoming accredited is Funding, you can get money for resources and some counties seem to be throwing money at accredited childminders.

however I’m now in my 50’s and getting fed-up with every tom dick or harry telling me how to run my business when I sure I do a reasonable job- but I’m not adverse to accepting support, but I have enough paperwork myself without adding to it so accreditation lost its appeal to me. I was a network childminder for years (no opportunty to become accreditted) then moved so had to leave then when I wanted to get back on they landed me with a lot of un-necessary forms well if they couldn’t judge me on my practice, past practice and having known me for donkeys years I decided the network was just paper pushing and not worth the trouble. And some childminders have discovered that parents say they will use the entitlement with them but then decide nursery is best- leaving childminders just doing a few hours

umm, my post sounds a bit muddled but i hope it makes sense

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi my CM friend started this a long while back (she has given up now) but wished she hadn't started it and found it all too much i think..found the visits coming round so often and the spot visits making her feel useless as was always a day when she wouldn't or couldn't have them!

In my 4+ years of minding i have never been asked about the free sessions and the fact if i was accredited id'e be getting funded places..parents either send to me or they send to nursery then school so iv'e never found it to be a prob tbh but the last few months (as per posted)..i have had a mum mention it and ask if i can still have her dd. After having a meeting last week with a lady who knows the ins and outs i asked about the possibilty of whether tax credits etc still pay me or will i lose the child..she said i can still have the child regardeless and the mum should just leave things as they are? that if she told tax credits she was sending her LO to nursery they would just stop or reduce her money for what hours she used with me if any..SO yes she can still stay with me and it doesn't affect me or her. My argument was what was the point of the accreditation if that was the case to which i never understood as just figured if things dont change great.

Does anyone know what the point is then?
    Thanks!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I became accredited last year on the request of a parent, I got the feeling I would loose child to Nursery if I did not do it, so reluctantly I did it, now 6 months on she is moving away, (seemingly move been planned for a while!!, just not told me) Not sure if I will carry on to be honest. Maybe if you can keep mindees or attract new ones by being accredited it makes it worthwhile, but I have managed for years without it (maybe not a good attitude , but it's how I feel) My hourly rate is £3-50 and I get paid £3-36 from Nursery Funding

Post Thanks / Like

I decided not to become accredited, despite my DO trying to push me. In my locality there is an excellent preschool which offers funded places and all the schools have nursery classes. I think that at 3/4 yrs old children often need more than a home environment can give them. They like to play with their peers, which can be pretty awkward if your other mindees are babies.
    I think if you are in an area where there aren't any preschools or the schools don't have a nursery class then it can be worth doing. But for the few children we are likely to have (in that age bracket at any one time) it's not worth it.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about it and quickly came to the decision not to bother!

Round here nurseries are very much 'the thing' and for all the extra paperwork, most children will be off to nursery anyway as parents think they need a different experience than CM when they go beyond 3. I have part timers who do nursery for 2/3 days and me for the rest. Always been like that.

my nearly 3 yr old mindees mum asked me this week as mum is upping nursery in sept to 2 days and I will go down to 1 from 2. Mind you he came to me for 3 days a week as a temp 6m old (meant to stay till 1yr old) and is still here as she has been so pleased with his care and he is so settled.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaR View Post
    I have started the accreditation process but there is so much they are expecting of me that I am trying to weigh up if its worth it. I thought it was a good idea when I started.
    I have to do a business plan , commit to 24 hours of training a year, which will be in the evenings and weekends, register with enviromental health, hand over a copy of my SEF, update my policies etc and all this before I start the strict planning and deliver the education side of it. Then have visits.
    All this takes away from actually caring for the kids.
    I think I've made up my mind, I'm not going to bother.
    Hi, i am accredited but dont have to do all that. The only reason im on the network is to get the funding altho im no better off just like to give parents the choice. I dont like doing nursery runs. Think teacher comes out once a term so ive been told. I at to fill some forms in.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh don't know what to do now My Dw is coming in March to talk me through becoming accredited. It seemed so simple, but as you all say it's not worth it I don't think I could cope with the extra stress and hastle.
    She kept saying that soon ALL childminders will have to do this, but she must have been lying?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to offer the funded places years ago but gave it up because it was too much paper work but to be honest now with the EYFS I dont seem to be doing much different aprt from the head count forms which means you get paid by the government and have the teacher advisor person come out now and again.

I am still part of the Network and wouldnt change this as I have access to invaluable resources and information that I dont think I would get other wise. The only reason I have not gone back to offering these places is I beleive that children need that pre school environment (as long as its the right one), however, if a parent approached me asking me to reconsider and did not want their child going to a pre school or if I was losing too much work, then I may reconsider.

I would defo advise joining a Network if you have that oppertunity to

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

tinytots , not all parents get tax credits - i know i dont , so funded places would benefit me as a parent - but only if i put my ds in for full days. which even at 3 i would not do.
    from a cm viewpoint for those who do half days at a preschool or school nursery i get paid for those hours anyway!
    in our area you need to have a foundation degree ( according to the dw , although there are no accredited minders in her area currently) is this the same everywhere?

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    tinytots , not all parents get tax credits - i know i dont , so funded places would benefit me as a parent - but only if i put my ds in for full days. which even at 3 i would not do.
    from a cm viewpoint for those who do half days at a preschool or school nursery i get paid for those hours anyway!
    in our area you need to have a foundation degree ( according to the dw , although there are no accredited minders in her area currently) is this the same everywhere?
    The requirement here is a level 3

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all so much. I wasn't expecting such negative comments about being accredited.
    The only plus I can see of being accredited is access to grants, and in our area its only accredited childminders who get the capital grants. Two freinds have had a new lap top and cameras and will get more pressies in the future where as I won't.
    And the hourly rate for funded children is less per hour.
    So, if I become accredited, then I will have so much more paperwork, have to do the 24 hours training and won't get any more money. Plus as, Winnie said, I'll have interference from people checking that I'm doing my job in the way that they want me to.
    I think I just want to be a childminder, spend time with kids and enjoy my work.
    I don't know why I even considered it.

Sept 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Accreditited. Shall I bother or not

that's why i became a childminder, to look after my own children whilst bringing in an income.
    I used to work in pre-schools and got fed up with the paperwork, but now due to the EYFS i have to do it again!!!!
    Ive been asked to become accreditited and be part of our network, but so far ive turned it down. I dont want the added paperwork.
    Here, we have been put on an assurance scheme. Parents are informed about what stage you're on when they access your info on sure start's website.
    When you first start out or you've got an NVQ2 or 3 you are put on intermediate stage. You can only go onto advanced stage if you agree to do so much training and have someone visit you regularly! Doesnt matter how much experience you've got, if you dont agree to training then you cant progress!
    What happened to the home environment???

DEC 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Accreditited. Shall I bother or not

i am sorry to play devils advocate but i have just been accreditited and have done so to be future proof. when the nursery funding for two year olds gets rolled out, i thought it would be best to be ahead of the game.
    I have been told by my mentor teacher that i am doing the planning, obs, learning journeys and diaries already so not much extra paperwork.
    I will see how it goes but i have been asked by parents so have done with demand.
    If you feel it is good for your business and the future then go for it!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi.. I'm accredited and can offer funding and indeed am offering funding... I've only been doing this for about 5 months and it really shouldnt take me more than an extra hour a week to plan etc.. but I find I've had quite a few newbie mindees too recently so what with trying to settle new LOs in etc.. its not been as easy to manage as I hoped..

I think its a good marketing strategy.. I lose money doing it.. plus we get paid half termly in arrears here..

I also find it keeps my setting fresh as well as I'm constantly creating new activities etc.

All I need to do now is learn how to switch off and try to get as much as I can done during my day rather than at night... I hope I've helped a bit.. there are pros and cons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast