Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family visiting while you're working

Obviously it wouldn't be made a habit of but are the rules about this the same as for workmen, not leaving them alone etc?
    *~*~*♥Nikki♥*~*~*

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Family visiting while you're working

I am very close to my immediate family and someone usually visits us during my working week. The mindee calls them nanna, aunty etc, and mindees family knows them too and are happy with this.
    It all adds to the fun as they genrally join in with my activities and id never see them if they didnt come as they work shifts

moogster1a Guest

Why wouldn't you be able to leave them alone? Presuming that you don't come from a family of paedophiles, my family would be mortified if i said I can't leave you alone to go for a wee etc. in case you turn into a sex beast!
    If you mean leaving them while you nip to the shops, then no you can't. Otherwise, let's not induldge this culture that everyone's a rapist unless proven otherwise. Children are growing up with an awful distrust of the very adults which would protect them.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Family visiting while you're working

Are you allowed to visit family/friends with the children you mind?

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont see why you cant visit family and friends as long as you dont lave the children alone with anyone not crb'd.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify...

If any visitor to your house does not have a CRB check and are not authorised by Ofsted to be left alone with minded children, then it does not matter if they are your Grandmother, your Aunt or your daughter visiting...

You must not leave them alone with minded children. No, not even while you nip to the loo.

This is not because every adult is considered a risk to children.

It is for their own protection.

If a safeguarding / malicious complaint was made against them by a child or there was an accident / incident and you were not in the room to back them up then Ofsted would come down on you very very hard.

Yes Chell you are allowed to have visitors and you are allowed to visit friends and family - just be sensible about it and make sure you put their (and of course the children's) safety first and do your risk assessments as you would for any other visits.

hth

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my mum visits me sometimes, and i'll go see Cher (or she comes here with her mindees)

i think it's great for the mindees are they get to interact with lots of other people that way.

but i dont leave mindees alone
    IS BACK

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry when Ofsted came for my pre reg I asked about my family as when they visit the come for a few days as live miles away . They don't need to b crb checked as long as they don't come for three months. Sadly you still have to treat them like a stranger: ie workman and cannot leave them alone with mindees . I also have a permission form for parents saying that they are happy to have their children around my family .- this doesn't happen very often in fact not at all yet.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kerrie and Sarah. My parents are CRB checked as they foster. It is just that their garden in much nicer and bigger than mine. They have a trampoline which we don't have. In the Summer it would be nice to play at their house sometimes.

Lady Haha Guest

It was my son's birthday yesterday and we had visits from his dad and his nan (seperately) and I got both of them to sign my visitors book and didn't leave them with mindees alone. As Sarah says, it's as much to protect the visitor as it is the mindees.

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Just to clarify...

If any visitor to your house does not have a CRB check and are not authorised by Ofsted to be left alone with minded children, then it does not matter if they are your Grandmother, your Aunt or your daughter visiting...

You must not leave them alone with minded children. No, not even while you nip to the loo.

This is not because every adult is considered a risk to children.

It is for their own protection.

If a safeguarding / malicious complaint was made against them by a child or there was an accident / incident and you were not in the room to back them up then Ofsted would come down on you very very hard.

Yes Chell you are allowed to have visitors and you are allowed to visit friends and family - just be sensible about it and make sure you put their (and of course the children's) safety first and do your risk assessments as you would for any other visits.

hth
    Thanks Sarah, that is what I thought x
    *~*~*♥Nikki♥*~*~*

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chell View Post
    Thanks Kerrie and Sarah. My parents are CRB checked as they foster. It is just that their garden in much nicer and bigger than mine. They have a trampoline which we don't have. In the Summer it would be nice to play at their house sometimes.
    Just to clarify, I think it's so sad that we even have to consider this; though I completely understand why we have to!!! Anyway, just a point (my mum is a foster carer too), unless your parents have been CRB checked for your childminding, their CRB check for fostering doesn't count, it has to be done for each 'organisation'. Sorry!
    Francine X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    Just to clarify, I think it's so sad that we even have to consider this; though I completely understand why we have to!!! Anyway, just a point (my mum is a foster carer too), unless your parents have been CRB checked for your childminding, their CRB check for fostering doesn't count, it has to be done for each 'organisation'. Sorry!
    ............but from what the others have said they don't need to be CRB as long as they aren't left alone. What I meant was that it is extra reassurance for the parents.

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    When I registered, I had an enhanced CRB that was done by my local hospital as I ama registered Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse, and Ofsted were completely happy with this CRB.... it had been done close to my inspection and my hubby's was done just for Ofsted but they didn't make me get another....

Jenni

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's odd cos I had an enhanced CRB just 6 weeks old and they insisted on having their own done!
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjen View Post
    When I registered, I had an enhanced CRB that was done by my local hospital as I ama registered Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse, and Ofsted were completely happy with this CRB.... it had been done close to my inspection and my hubby's was done just for Ofsted but they didn't make me get another....

Jenni
    I had to have a new one for Ofsted too (I was also a children's nurse)
    I have 4 so far , as each organisation I have contact with, ie Sunday school etc, needs there own
    Im just glad I don't have to pay for them!

Marian x

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    Well that's odd cos I had an enhanced CRB just 6 weeks old and they insisted on having their own done!
    I was told they aren't transferable between roles so like you a new one for ofsted

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FizzysFriends View Post
    I was told they aren't transferable between roles so like you a new one for ofsted
    I was told an enhanced one could be transferred not a normal one.

Mine is transferred, Ofsted saw it at last inspection, they will prob change mind by next inspection though!!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think CRB's could be transferred but Ofsted used the one from my previous job in a nursing home to register me.

Perhaps it just depends on the inspector.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually have visitors while I am working. I do have my mum pop in for various reasons now and again - usually just to collect something etc she doesn't stop though but I always get he to sign in and out x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast