Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default minding under fives

Does anyone just mind little ones and no school pick ups?

Am thinking about going down the route of three under five

I currently have two under five full time and max numbers after school, and its getting me down a bit

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: minding under fives

if I could afford it I think I would do without but all of mine are my grown up ex-daytimers and my own children so don't have the heart really.

I have two days with none after school (except 10 year old who is like family member) and it's bliss!

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I mind 3 under 2's and stopped doing school pick ups. I found we had to cram in morning activities, lunch and sleeps to ensure the lo's were up in time to get to school. After school I found it difficult to get certain toys out with smaller pieces, couldn't spend as much time with my after schooler (4 yr old) and just felt so rushed all the time that I began to dread it. Much nicer now we don't have to rush everything!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green puppy View Post
    I mind 3 under 2's and stopped doing school pick ups. I found we had to cram in morning activities, lunch and sleeps to ensure the lo's were up in time to get to school. After school I found it difficult to get certain toys out with smaller pieces, couldn't spend as much time with my after schooler (4 yr old) and just felt so rushed all the time that I began to dread it. Much nicer now we don't have to rush everything!
    Thats how i feel
    started to dread after school time but not sure how to deal with it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I just do pre-schoolers and care for 3 aged between 2 and 3yrs old.

I chose this as my ds1 started school and felt he needed my time and attention without a house full of older children. He is now in yr 2 at school and I still only have pre-schoolers, it works fine for me.

My friend was the same she had a lot of school pick ups plus 1 pre-schooler but found it too much so now also just minds the little ones.

It is what works for you, it is your business and you need to be able to cope financially and without too much stress.
    Avril x

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

i have 2 after schoolers and 2 under 5s...plus my own dd
    one of the school kids is the brother of one of the under 5s so I couldt get rid of that mindee without loosing the other lo

the other after schooler is hardly ever here but mum pays me every week...so I hardly notice her.

as for the time thing....it has worked out quite well so far but i also have a nursery pick up before luncht time so we have to go out 3 times..
    bt they dont sleep anymore or only short times so that it isnt a problem going to school....

couldnt afford only under 5s especialy since my own dd is still only 2yrs old
    Nicole xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As a rule I only mind under fives.
    Over the years I have done pick ups for holiday cover, but that's only been for a few days at a time.

This year I am actually doing a school drop off & collection as the lo started in reception & I still have her younger brother. I agreed to it for continuity for them. He'll start school as well in Sept and I will stop having them both then as mum will rearrange her work hours.

I much prefer working with my under fives & feel this has always worked best for me & my family. My own children wouldn't have wanted children from their school here every night, but love the little ones being here.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estrelas View Post
    Thats how i feel
    started to dread after school time but not sure how to deal with it
    My friend who gave up her school pick ups gave notice at the end of the summer term so they has 6wks school holidays to find alternative arrangements.
    Avril x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep - only pre-schoolers for me too. I felt similar to green puppy
    Katickles

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread as I am contemplating the same, mainly because I want to work less hours, especially once DD2 starts school in Sept.

But then I wonder about what to do when my pre schoolers start primary. I would feel awful just losing them as they are reception age The transition to school is hard enough as it is without losing their childminder as well.

If I stick to my littllies I could run a smaller car, which would save me a fortune in tax, petrol etc too.

DH would love me to cut down, we dont really need the after schoolers money tbh (I realise that is a lucky position to be in) but Im too soft to just let them go

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No school pick ups just 1 @9yrs old a few night a week off the school bus (term time only) and 1 @ 8yrs Would dearly love not to have after schoolers but it's not that easy is it when you have cared for them since they were babies ?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avril View Post
    My friend who gave up her school pick ups gave notice at the end of the summer term so they has 6wks school holidays to find alternative arrangements.
    Yes this is an option that I have been looking at
    Financially if you work out how much more i spend on the after school care etc,i don't think i'd be massively down
    Plus its more than money, its about family happiness etc

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    No school pick ups just 1 @9yrs old a few night a week off the school bus (term time only) and 1 @ 8yrs Would dearly love not to have after schoolers but it's not that easy is it when you have cared for them since they were babies ?
    hmmm i suppose i'd have to carry on but with not so many, I have about 7 in my house mostnights and its driving me insane a bit

Post Thanks / Like

I just think I'd get too attached - what do you do when they go to school? Isn't it hard to let them go?

Miffy xx

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally,if I could afford to I would have only school age children and no under 5's
    I love the after school ones and love having the bigger ones in the hols. I just find the little ones so labour intensive sometimes!
    Some days it just seems like a big round of feeding, nappies and trying to get them to sleep!
    Am I strange? or do others feel like this?
    I would much rather do cooking,crafts,quizzes etc etc than change endless nappies and fill in endless daily diaries.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I just think I'd get too attached - what do you do when they go to school? Isn't it hard to let them go?

Miffy xx
    Hard as it is, you have to let them go at some time

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise 144 View Post
    Personally,if I could afford to I would have only school age children and no under 5's
    I love the after school ones and love having the bigger ones in the hols. I just find the little ones so labour intensive sometimes!
    Some days it just seems like a big round of feeding, nappies and trying to get them to sleep!
    Am I strange? or do others feel like this?
    I would much rather do cooking,crafts,quizzes etc etc than change endless nappies and fill in endless daily diaries.
    I know a few minders who only look after school age children. One used to have 13 or more after school, so certainly made enough money from it. Plus, she had most of the day free. It wouldn't suit me, but she loved it.

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i only have one school pick up now who leaves in july as she starts high school in sept . dont think will take any more pick up on as have two 2 yr olds and one of their siblings starts next week so having all little ones for a change

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just have 1 school age I pick up along with my 3 as he is the brother of the baby I mind but I wouldn't have any if I could as I feel the girls want my attention after school and also the small bits problem. I don't feel I can provide properly for the older ones when the babies are still here. I just will ensure as well that future under 5's leave early!
    Paula

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

my 4 mindees are 2 at 12 months, one at 15 months and the other 17 months. my sone just started mornings at pre-school and my daughter is in p2, and its great!!! i feel the same, if i had after schoolers i couldnt take out anything that would be of hazzard to the wee ones, also i think my daughter would be very put out if i had older ones as they would want to play with HER toys lol xx
    x x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast