Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What could this be???

I have a little girl who turned 2 in November. She is quite clever for her age. She has been able to count to 20 since she was about 17 months old and knows words to songs off by heart, although her every day speech isn't that good.

Anyway, getting to the point... she loves to line things up. Today she was playing with some snap cards. She went through the whole pack and picked out 3 with a pig on. Then she lined them up together on the sofa. At snack time she lined all of her carrot sticks in a row. Then after snack time she found 3 little people, put them in 3 plastic egg cups and put them in a row on the table.

Can anyone tell me what this could relate to in the EYFS and how I put it in her observations? I think its quite cute but my DH thinks she could have OCD Do you think it's anything to worry about?

Any ideas? x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What could this be???

I have a little boy (mindee) 2 1/2 years old who does exactly the same with his cars.

I've logged it as PSRN - Calculating - Learn to classify by organising and arranging toys with increased intent. (Note hen children gather things together, such as collecting books or lining up cars or other objects.

Hope that help x

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that. I will put it on her Observation sheet tonight.

Daddy Day Care Guest

my son is the same with his cars as well, he will line them all up then push them across the room one by one and line them up there.

If hes playing with his anaimals he does the same.

Im sure its nothing to worry about

Gareth
    xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure lining things up is a schema - connecting I think - it is a way of learning - you can follow up with planning for train tracks, jigsaws, craft anything to join together or stick together - paper chains.

I could be wrong on this though - sarah will be along soon I hope with a fab clear explanation of exactly what it is hth x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yes its a schema , just the way she is learning at the moment , how shes linking everything together

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Cont...NavSideId=8920

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    I am sure lining things up is a schema - connecting I think - it is a way of learning - you can follow up with planning for train tracks, jigsaws, craft anything to join together or stick together - paper chains.

I could be wrong on this though - sarah will be along soon I hope with a fab clear explanation of exactly what it is hth x
    Yes it's a connecting schema!

it's lovely to watch isn't it?

Have a look here for more ideas

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aimiev1704 View Post
    I have a little girl who turned 2 in November. She is quite clever for her age. She has been able to count to 20 since she was about 17 months old and knows words to songs off by heart, although her every day speech isn't that good.

Anyway, getting to the point... she loves to line things up. Today she was playing with some snap cards. She went through the whole pack and picked out 3 with a pig on. Then she lined them up together on the sofa. At snack time she lined all of her carrot sticks in a row. Then after snack time she found 3 little people, put them in 3 plastic egg cups and put them in a row on the table.

Can anyone tell me what this could relate to in the EYFS and how I put it in her observations? I think its quite cute but my DH thinks she could have OCD Do you think it's anything to worry about?

Any ideas? x
    Hi, Im still pre-reg at the moment, but we covered this kind of behaviour on one of the courses I attended, Im not one hundred percent sure but I think this might be her schema! so dont panic lol. I think I read a thread on this site regarding different types of schemas, there are lots of different schemas, each type has a name and I would use this in the observation and also to help you with her individual planning. Ive also been told that Ofsted love to hear about different types of schemas so if you can learn abit about it, it can only help. Im pretty sure that you can buy an ebook on this site that covers this subject as well, Hope that helps Naomie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

reassuring to know that I am learning something on the foundation degree!!! Doesn't always feel like it!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. On all the childminding courses I've completed, none of them mentioned anything about schemas!

I'm off to do some research!

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

hy ya i had a boy who after he was 2 1/2 could count to 20 too and ofsted was inpressed when they heard him do it while i was being inpsected but can they recoginse the numbers she asked me and he could only recognise some so a next step could also be to try number recognition activites like flash cards, posters, books, jigsaws if they carnt recognise all the nunbers. xxx

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd was 2 and used to line up the animals then put them away again, then she would line crisps up then eat them, then she would line up anything and everything she could find!! She no longer does it and laughs about it when I tell her now (she is 10)

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for tne info I have heard about schemas but wasn't sure how to incoporate them into more play ideas.