Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nits

Registered Childminder since
    October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nits

Not sure where to post this one - i have a child that comes to me teaming in Nits. Last time i noticed, called mum, she said ok to just brush through with nit comb and i got 24 crawlers out. Have noticed today head is crawling today - didn't take it out of plait or anything, they are just everywhere. Spoke to mum - she says nothing she can do as she has done too many treatments and she has to wait another week for something the doctors prescribed. Surely her head wouldn't be 'crawling' with them if she recently did a treatment? or maybe the treatments don't work at all. I have a policy saying i will not discriminate against a child with nits but how long do i let it go on?
    x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: nits

Tell her about the zappy comb thingys ( thats the technical term ) that you can buy no lotions needed.

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i have! apparently she has been crawling with them since before she started with me. not the poor girls fault - bless her it must be so uncomfortable. just that they spread and i keep having to tell other parents that 'someone' has nits, and they keep saying why is it spreading around so much - they don't know who it is obviously!

Post Thanks / Like

God I'm itching now

I don't think it's your job to de-louse a child so i'd have asked her to collect and do it herself

Do as twinkles suggests - quick

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor little thing. It does make me cross , yes they all get them at some point but there is no need for her to suffer like this. Trust me i've had them and it's very uncomfortable.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I found one on AMy yesterday and promtly text hubby to get some stuff on his way home form work, couldnt see any more but did find about 4 eggs hopefully I caught them in time, poor child she must be scratchin like mad... I would tell the parent she has to see to it or the child cannot come it is not fair on the other parents x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a little one who is constantly infested... she must be getting them from somebody at her nursery because dad does her in a morning and she's clear then I pick her up at 1130 and she's got 2 or 3 walking ones!

I'm getting fed up too cos I keep getting them!

I am seriously considering buying a zapper comb thingy like Twinkles suggests - thank you for confirming the name, by the way, I wasn't sure!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh I'm itching, touch wood I've never had any children with nits but glad to read the above advice as what to do just in case in the future.

Avril x

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, but because i am going through a difficult patch with this particular family, there is NO WAY i could go near her hair and do anything myself. They are working their notice period (see other threads). I don't believe i can do anything to stop it - i cannot or should i say we as childminders are not supposed to discriminate against children with them - there are just so many!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sory I dont care what OFSTED says regarding you cant iscriminate aginst children with lice, its not the childs fault I know that but I WOULD NOT accept them in my setting until they had been treated.... they spread so fast and its not fair on the other children i mind ofr and whos parents DO treat their children x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taiwallis View Post
    ok, but because i am going through a difficult patch with this particular family, there is NO WAY i could go near her hair and do anything myself. They are working their notice period (see other threads). I don't believe i can do anything to stop it - i cannot or should i say we as childminders are not supposed to discriminate against children with them - there are just so many!!!
    I understand what you are saying.

I think the only thing you can do is get ready for if this happens again with another child and have a written policy which states your feelings on the subject... something like... if child arrives with crawling things that you can see, you will ring parents to come and collect and they must treat the child before you will have them back... this is then your policy that you can enforce.

Certainly not your place to go combing through a child's hair... I agree with you there! I was thinking about a zapper for me!

Hope that helps!

February 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

How awful - for you and the poor girl. It must be hard knowing what to do, as said it's not fair on the other kids either if they keep getting them. Think I would have to say along the lines of Sarah in that if there were any crawlers then I couldn't accept the child - hope I'm not put in that position though. Sorry can't help much.

Tracey

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys - unfortunately i put a policy in place saying i would not discriminate against a child if they had them - i have my hands tied - never thought i would have a parent who wouldn't treat it!
    xx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

poor ickle girl, my girl was riddled with them while back but now we are nit free i still check the hair incase they come back or any egg hatch. so far so good.

headrin is a brilliant lotion, smell free, easy to use. can use once a week.

basically it shrink wraps the nits and they fall out, and leaves a slippery coating on the hair so nits find it hard to crawl etc.

i used it every sat nite washed off sunday morning and checked with nit comb and changed bed sheets too. now i use once month if i feel i want/need to

it works really well.

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have it in my sickness policy that a child with nits will be refused until it has been treated.

I know that it is not politically correct but i am afraid i do not want to get infected and do not think that the other children should be either.

I have only had to inforce this policy once and that was because the parent was not doing anything about the infestation and expected me to deal with it.

I would have been happy to comb the childs hair in the day if they would have done the same in the evening but the parents didn't and by Monday morning we would be back to square one again so I refused to have the child until she was clear.

Good luck with this......I hope she is nit free soon.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

oh I'm all ichy!!

My dd got them in Feb from pre-school it seems to be an on going problem

I use Nitty gritty comb, once a week and have found nothing since I treated her , she had 4 lice and loads of eggs but it really has made me super parniod , I don't know how someone won't treat it thats just neglect in my eyes

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    oh I'm all ichy!!

:
    I am itching too
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Apr 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i use the nitty gritty comb with loads of conditioner and it works better thsn than the lotions

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abba1772 View Post
    i use the nitty gritty comb with loads of conditioner and it works better thsn than the lotions
    I agree, there is no better way than this. i have tried no end of lotions and potions iwth Timmy, he went through a stage of having them all them time for about a month and I tried everything. But as soon as I tried combing iwth conditioner every other day for a week, they were gone and never to return.......

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I might add to mine that

"If there is no sign of improvement after 1 week then the child will be refused until it has been treated!"

I only use tea tree oil, eucaliptus oil and veggie oil! and a good comb through each nite! it seems to do the trick in a week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast