Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry lots of questions today !1

I have never agreed with TV's in childrens bedrooms, just a personal thing.

But My daughter is asking for one now, so she has her own space when I'm working,
    Whats everyones views on TV's in kids rooms?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sorry lots of questions today !1

i don't agree with it really till they are teenage. i know a 2 year old that has to have a dvd on everynight to go to sleep whats wrong with a few stories i don't know!

i had one as a teenager and it was great as me and my parents obviously had different tastes in evening tv and i could go to my room with friends and watch it.

one child i know who is 8 has one in his room but it hasnt got an arial in it, it is just for ps2. which i think is a good compromise as its not hogging the lounge tv.

LOOPYLISA Guest

My dd didnt have one that early on,

Shes now nearly 12 and is getting a bigger flat screen in there from santa this yr

My friends dd fall asleep with her's on which i think is wrong , just my pesonal opinion .

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think TV should be for family time, My little girl is only 16 months old, but i'd want her to play instead of watching Tv i suppose it's ok for a short while, but I wouldn't let my daughter have one when she's older. but maybe thats just me

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt want to have a TV in dd's room until she is older....
    I had one from about 12ish I think.
    It is nice though to be able to go and watch something in your own room ...especially if nobody else wants to see it...
    and I used it to play my Sega on it...

I think the child needs to be mature enough to have it in the room and still follow rules about it. and if that doesnt work I would take the TV back out of the room

dont agree to have it as a bedtime aid or anything like that though!
    Nicole xx

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys Thats my feelings too

I love our bed time stories and i suppose a tv would create arguements as there is no way i'd let her watch tv at bed time!!

I just need to think of another way to make her bedroom more appealing when the mindees are here, when shes tired.
    I don't use our tv when i'm working, in fact we rarely turn it on. just x factor on a saturday

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2 use the spare room as a tv/chill out room, obvously they have their own rooms too to play in where they keep their own toys which they arent willing to share,(upstairs is of limits to mindees) but at the moment they just watch it toghether, i suppose the time will come when they want one in their rooms so they can watch their own stuff.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the biggest meanie ever and mine aren't allowed their own tv 'till they're 15.

Having said that we've always been lucky enough to have a playroom ( having given up our dining room ) so there has always been a room for them to watch tv in relative peace while mindees rampage !

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My 2 had their own tvs at age 10.

It was not my choice - their dad bought them.

Having said that ... they are useful things to be able to take away for messy rooms / bad behaviour

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

mine are not until they are much older (14/15) but we have a portable dvd and now they are older on a weekend they still go up at 8pm so we can have our grown up time but are allowed to watch a dvd for a little while longer. It's not a permanent fixture in their room and they never turn it on without asking if it's been left in there.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My kids are 13 and 15 - they don't have a TV in their rooms. With laptops they can watch DVDs and we have a TV in the playroom for them to watch or play on the Wii on evenings and weekends - only since moving to new house.

Got the laptops in the last year, before that they could go to my room and watch TV if I was working - I love a TV in the bedroom
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I will hold my hands up and admit my 3 1/2 year old has a tv in his room. Does that make me a bad Mummy? Not in my eyes. He wakes up early on a Sunday morning and that is when he gets to watch it. We have strict ruleas about when it goes on and off and I don't see it as a major problem. My older 2 also have them but as we do not have the luxury of a seperate room the only way that they can escape the madness that is my house is by going to their room. Just my opinion of course
    Last edited by manjay; 08-11-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Ok I will hold my hands up and admit my 3 1/2 year old has a tv in his room. Does that make me a bad Mummy? Not in my eyes. He wakes up early on a Sunday morning and that is when he gets to watch it. We have strict ruleas about when it goes on and off and I don't see it as a major problem. My older 2 also have them but as we do not have the luxury of a seperate room the only way that they can escape the madness that is my house is by going to their room. Just my opinion of course

By 3 1/2 DD was going downstairs and putting a video on by herself at the weekends She was a bit of a TV addict, hence keeping it out of her room. Rules had to be laid out and 7am was considered early enough

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    By 3 1/2 DD was going downstairs and putting a video on by herself at the weekends She was a bit of a TV addict, hence keeping it out of her room. Rules had to be laid out and 7am was considered early enough
    Mine would be in way too much mischief if he could get downstairs At least this way I can hear what he is doing

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Mine would be in way too much mischief if he could get downstairs At least this way I can hear what he is doing
    she was really good actually, but before 7am on a weekend was still night time for me She started coming in to us at 7 and asking to go downstairs. Never touched anything or got up to mischief

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    she was really good actually, but before 7am on a weekend was still night time for me She started coming in to us at 7 and asking to go downstairs. Never touched anything or got up to mischief
    I don't remember my girls being the same but I caught him the other day with 3 chairs piled on top of each other so he could reach the magnet to open the goody cupboard

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

My own children had tv's in their rooms from about 10, but never used them as they always wanted to be downstairs with us!
    I think your daughter sounds sensible and has a good argument if you don't have a separate room downstairs, away from mindees.
    You could get her to agree to time limits, and it could be a great bargaining tool for you!

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have had tv's and dvd players since they were about 6/7 and to be honest its never been a problem, we have 4 children now in 2 bedrooms so they need somewhere to go and have a chill out and have friends round. The girls who are both teenage watch it quite a bit but the boys age 4 and 7 never use it. They(the teenage girls that is) use their laptops more, believe me tv is far less a problem than facebook and msn.
    Last edited by youarewhatyoueat; 08-11-2009 at 03:13 PM.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my son ad tv in his room when he was 5 it was xmas present was 6 in the feb but only used it on saturday and sunday mornings once he'd had breakfast use to go off once we got up.. theses days he loses it more than watches it... it was a stereo i had problem with his dad got him one when he was 2 i thought he was to young but really enjoyed his music and now hes 17 and a dj with his own moblie disco so guess it helped him in long run ..... ( his dads a dj too so he was brought up with music rather than tv )

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Son aged 11 hasn't got one and isn't going to have one either!
    I've got one in my room tho'
    Reckon too much tv turns your brain into vegetable soup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast