Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: So annoying!

Registered Childminder since
    May 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So annoying!

My only under 5 is supposed to start at 9am but as Dad has to take her sisters to school first she is rarely hear before 9.15, however, I am always ready by 9 just in case. This morning I was running a bit late and had just got out the shower at 8.25 when I noticed a text on my phone. Please could he drop her off 15 mins early?!!!! I text him back to ask if he meant 8.45 and he did. I had a feeling I knew why so said yes but he may have to wait on the doorstep a few mins.

So when he arrives I ask why and it is because the sisters have had their 11+ results on Saturday (twins - one passed and one failed!) and they want to speak to the school about appealing, which was what I had thought.

BUT they must have known that they were going to do this all weekend! Why, oh why, leave it till this morning to ask me? And these are really good parents normally, after all I have been training them for nearly 11 years!!!!

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So annoying!

You have to develop a thick skin and not expect anything too much from parents They are either brilliant and organised or useless in my experience.

I spent all last week trying to get one parent to communicate with me and then had a meeting with a new parent on saturday who only phoned me the day before wanting care for - yes you guessed it - this week!!!!!

I can't believe they leave so much to the last minute either.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar been away for the weekend visiting family came back last night in time for work today. We have an inset day kids not back at school until tomorrow.

I was due to start work at 8am - parent rings at 8.25am 'you've probably guessed I am going to work from home today - so X won't be coming to you!'

No I hadn't guessed - my special powers must be a bit off today - probably due to the long journey home yesterday to honour my work commitments!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My baby is supposed to come at 8 - I have told mum I leave for school run at 8.10. One day the week before half term, she was 10 minutes early - the next day 15 minutes late and I met her coming round the corner of my road!

This morning, no school run as DD got inset day but have to go out at 8.20 to pick up other mindee. No baby by 8.20 so text mum and said I will be back in 20 minutes - I am not wasting my phone bill calling and chasing her up. Anyway, one minute later she calls and says baby has had high temp since last night and she is trying to get him Drs appt so wont be coming today!! She knows she has to be at me at 8 and didnt know I didnt have the school run today.

How long does it take to let us know with perhaps a bit of notice???!!
    Helen

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I take no notice of the parents timings (unless they are late picking up and need charging extra )

I go about my day as I always plan to and if they aren't there by the time I am leaving then so be it. I just carry on regardless - its not my problem its theirs. I never call or text to say I am going out or how long I will be.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The same thing happened to me yesterday and not for the first time At 7.40 I got a phone call to say Dad had forgotten to tell me on FRIDAY they needed me to take lo to preschool on Monday and could he be dropped off in 10 mins So I told her I'd have to get dressed first, she turned up 20 minutes later.

What gets me is they know they need you earlier or even when you aren't even supposed to have them but they leave it till the last minute to let you know I've told them in future write it in his book, that's what it's there for.

Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madminder View Post
    My only under 5 is supposed to start at 9am but as Dad has to take her sisters to school first she is rarely hear before 9.15, however, I am always ready by 9 just in case. This morning I was running a bit late and had just got out the shower at 8.25 when I noticed a text on my phone. Please could he drop her off 15 mins early?!!!! I text him back to ask if he meant 8.45 and he did. I had a feeling I knew why so said yes but he may have to wait on the doorstep a few mins.

So when he arrives I ask why and it is because the sisters have had their 11+ results on Saturday (twins - one passed and one failed!) and they want to speak to the school about appealing, which was what I had thought.

BUT they must have known that they were going to do this all weekend! Why, oh why, leave it till this morning to ask me? And these are really good parents normally, after all I have been training them for nearly 11 years!!!!
    Maybe they didn't want to disturb you at the weekend - that's what I've had parents say to me when this has happened.

I'd be fed up though - I hate having to rush in the morning and those extra minutes are sooooo precious!

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Parents!!! I had a houseful of children waiting to go out in the holidays and we were waiting on one child, because it was the holidays i gave it a little longer. 10.45 i get a phone call that she was keeping lo at home

So from now on if they are not here on time i will go out and follow my nornal routine and parents will have to chase me up

May 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nokidshere View Post
    I go about my day as I always plan to and if they aren't there by the time I am leaving then so be it. I just carry on regardless - its not my problem its theirs. I never call or text to say I am going out or how long I will be.
    I am normally the same, I used to have a pair of twins part-time whose mum was a driving instructor so we had a flexible contract with a minumum number of hours. She knew my normal routine so she had to work with that and sometimes that meant she would drop or collect from groups, school gates, parks, play areas etc, wherever we were at the time. In the holidays I would (and still do as have them hols only since they started school) tell her what days out I had planned and she would either try to get lessons organised for the whole day so they could come, or not work at all. Sometimes she would come with us as well which was great cos the kids didn't miss out and I would have an extra adult to help!

Quote Originally Posted by charleyfarley View Post
    What gets me is they know they need you earlier or even when you aren't even supposed to have them but they leave it till the last minute to let you know I've told them in future write it in his book, that's what it's there for.

Carol xx
    My point exactly Carol!

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Maybe they didn't want to disturb you at the weekend - that's what I've had parents say to me when this has happened.

I'd be fed up though - I hate having to rush in the morning and those extra minutes are sooooo precious!

Miffy xx
    That's how I feel Miffy, it put me out for the whole morning and I never had my breakfast either! As for disturbing me, that is not an issue here as I had been texting and speaking with the Mum on Saturday about the exam results anyway and the parents have been friends for 20 years (long before I started minding their children!) so there really was no excuse. However, as I am having to share a car with other half at the moment he often drops us off at the park or the library after school and then has to go off somewhere and these parents will not only collect their kids from wherever we are, but also drop me home too so I will forgive them this lapse for once!