my son's anxiety
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my son's anxiety

i have just started looking after a 1 year old boy - he is very sweet and happy. The problem is my 20 month old son is finding it very hard. He shouts NO as the boy plays with the toys in the house. I realised he may find it hard but it very distressing for me and him.

Does anyone have any tips how to deal with this?

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: my son's anxiety

My children are older but with my 4 year old I still have a bit of this, I never put their own toys out especially special ones that they play with often, they stay in a tub and gets put in their bedroom all other toys that are available are shared, hard lesson for a 20 month old. I have all minded toys in a display rack with boxes and they all get put away at the weekend. Perhaps you could seperate his toys and only have shared toys out.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I was going to suggest the same. Perhaps your own son feels he needs his 'own' toys, as he may be finding it hard another child being around.

Also, you could encourage them to play games together, so they both learn that they can share.

x
    Nannying at moment..

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't have lots of separate toys as I am just setting out. Maybe I could put his favourite toys away and see how that goes - I went and got playdoh today and aim to do lots of painting tomorrow to keep them destracted. it is really hard as I am doing minding to be with my son. All very complicated and emotional

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like it's really early days and I'm sure it will get better.

I agree with putting your son's special toys away so that he doesn't have to share them.

Perhaps you could also get your son to choose some toys for himself and mindee - doesn't have to be expensive perhaps a colouring book each. Just so he knows some things are to share.

Also have a special time with your son when mindee has gone home where you just do things together and he has your 100% attention - he's probably struggling with sharing his mummy as well as his toys.

Sending hugs

Miffy xx