Talking Money Over the Phone??? or not?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Talking Money Over the Phone??? or not?

I have had loads of enquiries recently but I am wondering if they are put off by my prices. I am one of the more expensive childminders (by about 25p and hour) in my area, but I think I am justified in asking what I do.

Some people seem to ask how much I charge even before they ask if I have a vacancy or not!

DO you talk money over the phone? Or do you make appointments for them and talk money when they visit?

I need to do anything to get people through the door right now and fill my vacancies!

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talking Money Over the Phone??? or not?

so far I have told people over the phone how much I charge if they were asking...
    some were colleges though and they tend to pay you the fees anyways (as long as you are not way out of what everyone else charges)
    some parents want to know on the phone how much you charge others dont. If they ask I tend to tell them as I am not sure what I would say why I dont want to tell them....I find this more ackward and I am not sure if it might put people off...if they dont know..personally I would be annoyed if I asked someone how much they charge and they didnt tell me...
    but on the other hand maybe sometimes people might think differently once they meet you in person and dont mind paying a bit more.... not sure.

so far it hasnt put people off so I am going to continue that way
    Nicole xx

Post Thanks / Like

I always try and get people to visit me before I discuss money - just think it's better if they can see what they're paying for and you have a chance to chat first.

Miffy xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Never - I got my fingers burnt once so never never again

Either they come and see me or we don't go any further.

I always say that the rate is determind by different factors and would they like to come along and have coffee to discuss?

If they answer no then it is "bye bye"
    Debbie

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

just out of curiosity, what do you tell them if they ask though?
    I think I end up telling them as I dont know what else to say..
    Nicole xx

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Only a few times have i been asked about my fee's over the phone then its at the end of the coversation
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only tell them over the phone if they ask (no way round this) but do prefer to discuss this when they visit. There is one cmnder who charges 50p per hour less than others in my area yet has more vacancies than the rest of us, so being cheaper may help but does not always guarantee work. Personally I think 25p per hour more than some is not too much extra to be charging. Just hang on in there - hopefully your luck may change.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think im the dearest by 25p an hour out of the 3 minders at my school, if they ask i tell them but they usually no im the dearest, i think im worth it xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    so far I have told people over the phone how much I charge if they were asking...
    some were colleges though and they tend to pay you the fees anyways (as long as you are not way out of what everyone else charges)
    some parents want to know on the phone how much you charge others dont. If they ask I tend to tell them as I am not sure what I would say why I dont want to tell them....I find this more ackward and I am not sure if it might put people off...if they dont know..personally I would be annoyed if I asked someone how much they charge and they didnt tell me...
    but on the other hand maybe sometimes people might think differently once they meet you in person and dont mind paying a bit more.... not sure.

so far it hasnt put people off so I am going to continue that way
    same here. I tell if they ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    just out of curiosity, what do you tell them if they ask though?
    I think I end up telling them as I dont know what else to say..
    I say something like I can't work out their charges until we've discussed their exact requirements so when would they like to come and see me..........

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

With Debbie on this one, because in the past it has turned out to be other childminders on the phone!!

HELEN10

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would explain the same sort of thing that my rates is based on days and hours worked and they really need to come and see me and my setting and discuss their requirements before I can give them a fixed price (all of which is nonsense as I have a basic hourly rate!)
    Grindal

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone calls and the first thing they ask is "have you got any vacancies" then "how much do you charge" then I def would not tell them. I just say I dont discuss my fees over the phone.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't see the point in the secrecy surrounding how much you charge....even if it's another childminder, so what? How is that going to affect you?

If parents can only afford a certain amount what's the point in having meetings and wasting everyones time if they simply can't afford it?

If they ask I tell them, I know I would find it odd if I was the parent to be told we can only discuss it if you come round.

xx

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatjana View Post
    I personally don't see the point in the secrecy surrounding how much you charge....even if it's another childminder, so what? How is that going to affect you?

If parents can only afford a certain amount what's the point in having meetings and wasting everyones time if they simply can't afford it?

If they ask I tell them, I know I would find it odd if I was the parent to be told we can only discuss it if you come round.

xx
    I agree, Its the same as getting quotes for anything, and who am I to judge how much a parent can afford. I'm more expensive than others near me but I won't work for less and i'm happy with my workload.

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only been asked once over the phone, and that is the only time they haven't come to see me, everyone else that has come to see me has signed up, so from now on I won't discuss fees over the phone
    Ali xx

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thats it then...I am changing tact. No more giving fees out over the phone.

I will just say I dont discuss fees over the phone and would they like to come and see me so we can discuss exactly what they need and work out a fee.

Lets hope this helps!

Thanks all