Feel like I am not doing enough?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Feel like I am not doing enough?

Hi, I look after 2 mindees one of them is 17 months old and is with me 8-1 mon-fri and the other one is 16 months old and is with me 6.30am - 8.00pm 2 days a week (both are girls)
    So my normal routine when I have them both k arrives in pj's has brekkie ges dressed before m arrives.
    M has big dramas every day when mum leaves so takes me a while to calm her down, played outside on these lovely days,10am snack time ,I try to get out in the morning but doesn't always happen with one thing and another ( I have 2 children 7 and 14) but we are usually back by 11ish if we do get out, I have tried doing planned activities but neither can sit still for more than 2 minutes
    so they pretty much have free play all the time other than the water or messy play
    Then it is lunch time and then home time for m and sleep time for k.

I feel as though they have just been here not particulary doing anything other than playing
    What else can I do if they just want to play???
    I am getting a bit deflated by it all at the minute I just needed to have a moan
    Thanks for listening x x x
    Is it Friday yet?

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feel like I am not doing enough?

As long as they are happy, time will come when they want to do the planned stuff, my mindee is 2 1/2 and all she wants to do is push a doll up and down in a buggy.
    I had an after school today along with my 2 dds and it was great we played games, sang and made plate faces all these things I had planned and they happened finally
    Joy xx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

you say that you feel they are not doing anything but playing! whats wrong with that, all they should be doing is playing! lol. at that age there are not many organised activites that you can do with them. it sounds perfect to me what you are doing, free play and messy play and trips out alongside of their routine. they are still babies

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww thank you, I know that they are happy playing but when mums ask what they have been doing I feel awful when I just say playing!!!!!!! x x x
    Is it Friday yet?

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

make a point of telling mums what they have been playing with and what they have enjoyed, i bet they have some funny moments and do silly things which most do at that age! tell mum about those

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my dd is 21.5 months and mindee is just over 2y, and they mostly play play and play.

when i tell mum abt our day, i list the different play things mindee did, anything that was funny / cute. i try once a week to do something on the lines of arts and craft (bit of paint, or sticking or something), and then perhaps once a fortnight, we make something in the kitchen. both mindees just love to hold the mixer ... and we get yummy fairy cakes after )

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried singing/music with them?

I look after a 10 month old who loves our singing sessions. He holds an instrument, waves it around & the rest of us sing nursery rhymes. He loves it & I can tell mum he joins in with the singing session, even though she knows he doesn't actually sing! Sometimes it's only a couple of minutes for rhyme or 2, but it's something a bit different.

You say you don't want to tell mums the little ones have just been playing, so tell them what they have been playing with, what they've particularly enjoyed, if they've interacted with each other etc. Play is so important, so don't think of it as 'just' play.There's so much more to it that you can comment on.

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your doing eveything exactly right to me ! I know what you mean that you feel like you should be planning somethong but i honestly reckon you've got it spot on. Yeah why not tell the parents about some of the toys they have been playing with and how much they have enjoyed it
    Love Rach x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are sharing and taking turns and learning to play cooperatively.

They are communicating with each other and accessing a range of mark making materials and books etc during their play

They are using their imaginations as they set up different play scenarios

They are accessing a range of resources independently to enhance their creativity

They are exploring nature and the natural world during outside play and learning about the seasons and weather

They are solving problems for themselves as they build a tent for dolly or share out the tea set for a party

They are engaging in physical activities as they climb the slide, push their buggies and make sand castles

Your job at their age is to resource their environment so they can play... I think you are already doing that!

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone I think I probably already knew all this but just needed you fantastic people to reassure me!!!!! x x x
    Is it Friday yet?

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    They are sharing and taking turns and learning to play cooperatively.

They are communicating with each other and accessing a range of mark making materials and books etc during their play

They are using their imaginations as they set up different play scenarios

They are accessing a range of resources independently to enhance their creativity

They are exploring nature and the natural world during outside play and learning about the seasons and weather

They are solving problems for themselves as they build a tent for dolly or share out the tea set for a party

They are engaging in physical activities as they climb the slide, push their buggies and make sand castles

Your job at their age is to resource their environment so they can play... I think you are already doing that!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    It took me a while to realise this as well and tried doing things that only hold their interest for 5 mins.

mine play most of day, read books, do music time. Im amazed at my mindee (21mths) she sings along now 2 songs misses a few words out but then picks it up again.

You are doin a great job