Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default is this variation possible?

i don't look after over 5's. do you think its poss to have a permanent change on my certificate to instead of 3 over 5 and 3 under 5. could i have 4 under 5 with 2 under 1's? has anyone had this granted.
    only asking because i had a couple come round last week wanting care for a baby 2 days a week, prob was it would overlap 1 day a week with another baby i'm taking on and i think it put them off a bit when i told them i would have to ask ofsted. they seemed very keen till i said that.
    I just thought that if i had my reg changed then the issue wouldn't come come up again if another baby came along.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: is this variation possible?

I would like to know the answer to this myself as I am turning people with this age group (under 3's) but not getting any enquires for above.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not entirely sure, Ive had a variation for 2 under ones, because Im having twins, just one day a week for just 2 weeks, but ofsted granted me the variation mon - fri indefinately!

usually if its for continuity of care they're pretty good, so if you had one child, then took on another then for argument sake one family wanted you to alter days around and it over lapped, am I making any sense?

I dont know if this helps but when I asked ofsted when the variation would end she said when I requested it to as its too much paperwork to chage it back after so long, so if you get a variation its yours iyswim
    Louise x
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical creatures!

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure thats what you mean, 6 under 5's and 2 being babies, You will have to prove to ofsted that you have all the equipment ie 6 car seats, 6 high chairs if they happen to be in that age group, where would they all sleep etc. Thats a huge buggy if they are all little.I don't mean to be negative but 6 children to look after on your own, I doubt ofsted will grant that and as a parent I think you will put people off caring for so many. You would get a variation for 2 under 1's and 2 under 5's totalling 4 under but I wouldn't have thought 6, but I could be wrong.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caroline L View Post
    Are you sure thats what you mean, 6 under 5's and 2 being babies, You will have to prove to ofsted that you have all the equipment ie 6 car seats, 6 high chairs if they happen to be in that age group, where would they all sleep etc. Thats a huge buggy if they are all little.I don't mean to be negative but 6 children to look after on your own, I doubt ofsted will grant that and as a parent I think you will put people off caring for so many. You would get a variation for 2 under 1's and 2 under 5's totalling 4 under but I wouldn't have thought 6, but I could be wrong.
    OMG no i mean i'd like four under 5's and not the older ones.lol

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have a variation for 4 under 5's, 2 days a week term time only. The only reason I got this granted was because I had a child that was leaving, filled 2 days of the place and then mum asked if x could come back. Ofsted said it would be granted for continuity of care, but I still cannot go over the max of 6 children under 8.

As for over 5's I find these really difficult to fill and think once the children I have go out of the age range don't think I will ever fill the spaces. Only got the children I have now due to knowing them already! In my area there are laods of before/after school clubs and holiday clubs which are really cheap. I cannot compete.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just got a variation for 4 under 5s (5 days) and 5 under 5s with an assistant. When I got it a week ago one child was 9mth and one 13mth the others are 3mths, 2.5yrs and 3.5yrs.

My policy with Osted and Variations is if you don't ask you don't get.

Write a clear letter explaining what you want, they will be looking for continuety of care, but the enconomic well being of the child because the parents are able to work is quite a good one.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 17-08-2009 at 12:34 PM.

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to get 2 under 12 months as a permanent change to ypur certificate, but they would be included in your 3 early years places.
    A variation for 4 children in the early years group is only done on a named child basis.
    You would need to show that you were already caring for these children, and either the parents wanted to increase days/ hours (continuity of care)
    or you were taking on a sibling of a child already in your care.
    hth
    margi