Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default on line security

i am going to let the minded children use my computer (we are getting a new one) but am wondering what to do about security, how do i stop them accesing sites that are shall we say 'rude'?
    have tried the parental controls but when i put certain words in the search bar i still come up with the 'wrong' sites
    really would love them to access all the good sites like cbbc etc but am concerned about what they see, it is in the kitchen and i would be in there with them when they are on it but obviously they can still see stuff b4 i get to it to turn it off.
    is there some free downloadable security software somwhere?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: on line security

I use this - http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

It is free and very secure.

It's a pain to start with if the older ones want to browse, but once you've set it up with ok sites it retains them and you don't have to mess about again.

It wuffs and locks them out if they push it to go somewhere they shouldn't!

Also set up a desktop that does not have download privileges and clean it every day with www.ccleaner.com to get rid of all the rubbish kids can't help but collect as they browse.

Hth

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: on line security

You can buy software to put on, but I have put their favourite sites into a favourites list and they are only allowed to use those, no googling allowed. If they want to go on a site thats not in the favourites then they have to ask me to get the site for them. Has worked so far.