Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr2000
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good/outstan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - do we have to do DHC?

Hi, ive been registered 10 years and am really happy with how everything is going, fed up with all paperwork and now been told have to do DHC and DHC 1 top up course too. Looking at all the people needing help on here Im dreading it a lot! Do we really have to do all these courses, i know its not compulsory but if i opt out, will i get left behind as everyone is doing it. The essays look really hard and i haven't even started yet?

I feel so daunted by the prospect of starting this - why can't we just be left to do what we've always done - have got excellent references from parents so everyone else is happy?

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help - do we have to do DHC?

I thought it was part of the requirements for being registered.

I'm doing my at home through the NEC, there are 4 assignments, the first 2 I did really quickly as they're about things we do everyday, eg routines, keeping children safe (basically copied my RA's!) got 2 more to do and then sit the exam which is multiple choice. Haven't yet looked at the other 2!

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think.

xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carolyn01 View Post
    Hi, ive been registered 10 years and am really happy with how everything is going, fed up with all paperwork and now been told have to do DHC and DHC 1 top up course too. Looking at all the people needing help on here Im dreading it a lot! Do we really have to do all these courses, i know its not compulsory but if i opt out, will i get left behind as everyone is doing it. The essays look really hard and i haven't even started yet?

I feel so daunted by the prospect of starting this - why can't we just be left to do what we've always done - have got excellent references from parents so everyone else is happy?
    you don't yet as far as I know. Just the ICP. There is a push towards all of us CM's having level 3 which you would get on completion of DHC. I would hold your horses and wait. Unless you are part of a network and it's a network requirement of course? Who has told you this.

apr2000
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good/outstan
    Post Thanks / Like

I phoned NCMA and they said at moment its not compulsory but it seems all childminders I know are doing it now or on courses for next year so don't want to be left behind and then find out Ofsted make it a requirement by 2015 as I was told by NCMA.

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Although a bit of a drudge I'm glad to have completed the NVQ 3 CCLD.

Our local childrens centre now fast tracks cm's in 9 months for this qualification.

I don't think you'd find it hard, it's mostly showing an assessor what you are doing and understanding why you are doing it. There are a few pieces that take a while to write, such as development 0-16 and theorists but I actually enjoyed these bits!
    Come back David....

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of the DHC which can only be of use to childmindinders and as far as I understand can not be used for anything else I would do the CCLD NVQ3 which is the equivalent level 3 qualification,fully funded at the moment, but is excepted elsewhere ie. nurseries or you can add to it for ta qualification etc. it has more flexibility and has the home based section for childminders. You have until 2015 to gain a qualification so no rush and I wouldn't bother with the DHC unless you only ever plan to be a childminder at home.