Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smelly child

Registered Childminder since
    Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Default smelly child

Hi all, just want to canvass opinion really as I'm not sure what to do.

I mind a two yr old, have had him for about 4 months now.

I know there are quite a few issues going on at home and we have had issues with his behaviour. My problem is that not only does he smell of cigarette smoke but also very strongly of wee {so much so that when I do his nappy it nearly knocks me over}

My hubby says I should say something but I don't know, What would you do?

Is it my business to be telling mum her child smells? I know they live in a flat and both smoke around him but I can't physically stop them can I?

And if I were to say something,how do I go about it??{I must just add that I think I have a strong stomach and could deal with most things but this is something else. Like the child hasn't been washed in weeks}

Be grateful for opinions.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: smelly child

If his urine is strong is he getting enough fluids to drink. Or has he got a urine infection.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    If his urine is strong is he getting enough fluids to drink. Or has he got a urine infection.

I agree that is a possible cause. Also even if you think it's down to lack of bathtimes raising it with a concern over urine infection or lack of fluids means you can raise the issue without directing it at her lack of care.

Just mention your concerns and say babies don't usually smell so strongly of urine. Record your conversation and concerns. Perhaps recommend she takes him to doctor for check up. Then you can keep an eye on it.

If things don't improve maybe speak to local advisor or CDO.

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a jolly good idea. Didn't think of a urine infection, in any case I can use that as a way in which to approach it with mum.

God what would I do without this forum? Thanks guys.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

the urine infection is a good idea

i have a child who never changes her socks and not only are they dirty they stink too. i have tried getting her to leave them here so i can wash them and she can wear clean socks the next day but mum always says to her grab your socks as we leave.

good luck

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

how about have a very bubbly water play tray, with bath toys etc, and then tell mum how much he enjoyed it and give him a bit of bubblebath or something to take home, so he can 'share' the experience with mum?

xxx

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

did you say that he wears nappies still? i know that this isnt sorting out the root of the problem but at least if you were to wash his bum with warm soapy water at nappy changes at least he would smell better and i am sure that you can get dry shampoo for his hair? are you allowed to do things like that? i am pre-reg atm so i am just brainstorming x

poor little booger!

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would have lots of water play sessions especially in the warm weather where he can strip off and "accidently"? get clean His clothes may also have to fall in!! You would be right to check for medical problems too.

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by margimum View Post
    I think I would have lots of water play sessions especially in the warm weather where he can strip off and "accidently"? get clean His clothes may also have to fall in!! You would be right to check for medical problems too.

Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to look after two boys who had cats at home which sprayed. Their shoes especially would smell of cat pee and i used to put them in the garage rather than the house (the shoes not the boys!), I have also been known to wash coats and febreeze things too to make it better.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Their shoes especially would smell of cat pee and i used to put them in the garage rather than the house (the shoes not the boys!)
    That made me smile!!!

june 08
    Post Thanks / Like

How sad, the parents have the right to smoke, but the poor child has no choose but to smoke, I feel this is abuse.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be going along the soapy water play route too; and mentioning the urine thing. I have washed coats and shoes and allsorts too - you have to be discrete and there are only so many times you can say, 'he spilled his drink on his coat so I chucked it in the wash with some other stuff, hope you dont mind'.
    Deb X

May 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have two little girls who came from a very animaly house, chickens inside etc. They smelt so bad I used to bath them and put my sons clothes on them (I only had boys then) just so I could hold them. Then just before Mum came I had to put their smelly clothes back on which was horrible.

While talking about her I must tell you what she did - Mum was a Vet and if I couldn't have the baby she used to take it to work with her and if she was operating or something she would put her in the cat cage with a whiff of anesthetic to keep her quiet!!!! This was over 20 years ago. They were lovely children amazingly.

Sue

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

lmao Oldwoman!
    Deb X

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theoldwoman View Post
    I used to have two little girls who came from a very animaly house, chickens inside etc. They smelt so bad I used to bath them and put my sons clothes on them (I only had boys then) just so I could hold them. Then just before Mum came I had to put their smelly clothes back on which was horrible.

While talking about her I must tell you what she did - Mum was a Vet and if I couldn't have the baby she used to take it to work with her and if she was operating or something she would put her in the cat cage with a whiff of anesthetic to keep her quiet!!!! This was over 20 years ago. They were lovely children amazingly.

Sue
    Blaze x

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if it was a urine infection to be honest. One of the symptoms of an infection is very strong smelling wee but the child would be in alot of discomfort & would be poorly if he had one. My daughter has had a few urine infections and has been quite unwell each time with a very high temperature etc & she would cry when she did the toilet as it was so sore. I'm inclined to think it's more of a bathing issue!

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My own daughter who is showered daily came home from school smelling of stale urine, I took her to the doctors and she had a urine infection so that could be a possible cause.

I have had smelly children to mind in the past and have had to make an excuse (e.g another child had sneezed on their hair) and have given them a bath.

Hope you get it sorted.

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    waiting
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have little boy year old with me and he also has parents which smoke in the house… the smell of boy cloths and everything … horrible … I just washed all his cloths which have ‘in case’ in my home… bath him …put cream …  my plan is to speak with mum regarding his horrible cough problem for last 3 weeks and I am planning to say that may be one of the reasons is that they smoke in the house … not sure how is she going to take it but this smell is terrible and POOR KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don’t know how nurseries are dealing with that kind of problems???
    Kat

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theoldwoman View Post

Sue
    Put her in the cat cage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast