Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Not sure!

Registered Childminder since
    July 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sure!

Hi there everyone, need a bit of advice i do a scrap book for each of the children with photos, what they are doing, next steps & what areas of learning it covers would this be a learning journal? and do i still need to do ob's aswell? Also i have an ob's sheet with 6 boxes for different areas of learning then the same six boxes for next steps so obviously the boxes arnt very big how would i use this hope you can help sorry if i sound thick

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not sure!

The scrap books you are doing sound like a cross between a learning journal and a daily diary to me. When you do the info about what the child is doing you could just insert an observation sheet which would make it more formal or just keep a separate file for the observations and file your next steps documents with them.

I do a daily diary which is a more chatty document showing what we have been doing - food the child has had etc. I use stickers to show how it covers the six areas rather than actually writing it down.

in a separate folder i have the next steps for the child and observations which i have done formally. The daily diary goes with the child at the end of the week and the other folder which i call a "record of achievement" stays with me until the child finishes being in EYFS. Parents are shown the file and we discuss things but it stays with me normally unless specifically requested by the parent to go home.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the same as Penny it looks like a mix of the dairy and the learning journal. I have a daily diary sheet filled in each day and goes home with the child for parents comments and signature, then I file it, so it is building up to a hugh diary.
    Then I have a more formal file with my all about me forms, artwork, observations, next steps and individual planning to incorporate these next steps.
    I have just been graded and my inspector liked my paperwork.
    Sandy
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others

You have the right ideas but you just need to move things around a little

You do not sound thick at all and you know what you are doing just move things around

One book with your obs and pictures linking the obs to the 6 areas of learning - learning journal

One book - daily diary that says what they have done in brief that day , what they had to eat little things like that and send it home every day and get parents to comment then to add what the child is doing at home

Angel xx

July 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys thanks for all the advise dont think i explained my self properly i dont do daily sheets because they was just left in their bags & not read so i just tell the moms on collection now. my scrap book isnt filled in every day but i put in things like photos work the child has done a short ob areas of development & next steps.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To evidence working with parents you need some kind of book or journal that goes back and forth to home.

It could do with the odd parental comment in it as well to show partnership working.

You don't have to use sheets, how about a little exercise book?

Hth