Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Paddling pools

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paddling pools

Hi all
    I have recently bought a very small paddling pool.

I am unsure whether to:

a) write a paddling pool policy - if so I would put - children never left unattended, phone switched off, mobile in pocket, suncream on , t shirts on. (anything I have forgotten here???????)

b) write a paddling pool permission - I give permission for my child to play in Holly's paddling pool ... (anything else I need to put here???)

c) mention it in newsletter asking parents to say if they have any objections.

d) do all three of the above

What do you guys do?? Have looked on bromley and there is nothing on there for small pools just big ones.

Thanks in advance xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Paddling pools

A and B!!! lol and I would put it in the newsletter to asking parents to supply appropriate clothing, suncream and a hat! Objections clause not necessary if you are getting them to sign permission and doing a policy. (both of which you could attach to the newsletter and make clear that you have to have the permission form back to allow their child to play in it).

Just a quick question though - you have the weather for it??????? Where are you???? lol

Septemb
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    A and B!!! lol and I would put it in the newsletter to asking parents to supply appropriate clothing, suncream and a hat! Ol
    Ditto to above and...

Look again at Bromley site as surely a paddling pool is a paddling pool regardless of whether it is a large one or a small one!!
    Nix, xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do any of it. Just add the pool into outside equipment policy. No permission necessary that I can think of.
    Debbie

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

my paddling pool is in outside toys and garden risk assessment...never thought about permission for the children to use it.........i have a general permission to use outside play equipment....isn't that enough?

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Right so Debbie then would you give parents copy of revised outdoor equipment policy? Maybe attached to newsletter??

Stressing a bit because always been too nervous to let kids play in pool but hubby has convinced me it will be fine and I am a good cm and I can handle it

I think I would like their signed permission also - I have done for trampoline and I am stressing more about pool that that

Oh and I am in SUNNY Wales of course

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a and b but also take everything I may need outside with me, so the changing bag, potty etc are ready if needed.

Allie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I include the paddling pool in my outdoor toys policy.

I don't specifically ask parents' permission to use it. They know we have one out (when weather permits) and trust me to use my common sense

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polly2 View Post
    Right so Debbie then would you give parents copy of revised outdoor equipment policy? Maybe attached to newsletter??

Stressing a bit because always been too nervous to let kids play in pool but hubby has convinced me it will be fine and I am a good cm and I can handle it

I think I would like their signed permission also - I have done for trampoline and I am stressing more about pool that that

Oh and I am in SUNNY Wales of course
    Sorry don't do newsletters or copies of policies. Would advise parents verbally (I talk alot!) and then when I do a review we would look at the policies again.
    Debbie

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have have used paddling pools whilst working in the past but found the whole thing really difficult and stressful. Now instead i have a play table with water for them to play with and i spray water over children too - they love it!

Because i am so busy with children i find it easier to reduce the stress so that i am not having to bring them all inside if the door bell goes (wringing wet!) or i need to answer the phone etc.

I have a paddling pool that my own children use at weekends. I have also been to parks with minded children that have a paddling pool and that has been much easier as i would normally go to these places with another minder - 2 sets of eyes
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a paddling pool afew weeks ago,1st time i got it out i was super organised, had 3 sets of clothes and towel outside ready for after, i had mobile and house phone outside, nappies, wipes EVERYTHING. i spent ages blowing the thing up and filling it, 2 mindees got in 3rd one just cried! mindees said after 20 mins, 'can we get out now'! what a faff, they play with water for much longer when i just fill a stacker up with it and put it outside on the bench.

Then i had the problem of emptying the fliipin pool! lol

Its now in the back of the shed

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

kids eh!!! ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I don't specifically ask parents' permission to use it. They know we have one out (when weather permits) and trust me to use my common sense
    Same here but like Penny, I find the water play table a lot more useful and definitely less stressful!

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt do any of it either - and why are you turning your phone off?
    Deb X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a seperate policy as it ( paddling pool ) poses more of a risk than say trikes etc. In mine it says if I have to go indoors to answer the front door then all children have to come in with me.
    I take a portable 'phone into the garden with me.And a bag of towels/suncream/drinks etc soI'm less likely to need to keep going indoors.

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant switch phone to answer machine.

Thanks for all replys its good to see how others do things