Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buildings and contents insurance

Hi all

I was wondering about my insurance, do i need to have business insurance for my buildings and contents, If so how much does it cost compared to normal home buildings and contents insurance?

Straws xx

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buildings and contents insurance

Hi I couldn't find anyone who would give me contents insurance when I said I was a childminder. However, in the 'Who minds' magazine I saw an advert for Layton Blackham Insurers and had a quote from them. I got a brilliant deal, which was actually cheaper than my previous insurance before I was childminding. I would definitely recommend them. They offer insurance specifically for childminders, so I imagine that is a business insurance of sorts.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Liverpool Victoria will offer cover.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch The Homeminder or the Motor Minder Insurances personally.

There are lots of insurance companies who insure childminders homes and contents and cars without charging any more than you paid before minding.

I have been with Churchill for Buildings and contents for years and I use them for car insurance as well.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do these companies give you accidental damge as well? Halifax have swapped us to business but we have lost all accidental damage - so if dh mucks up some diy we cant claim which seems a bit daft to me

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    Do these companies give you accidental damge as well? Halifax have swapped us to business but we have lost all accidental damage - so if dh mucks up some diy we cant claim which seems a bit daft to me

Churchill gives me Accidental Damage for me amd my family but not for Childminding.!!

In other words i can hold a drunken orgy with friends and family and smash all my crystal glasses and I'm covered but if a mindee breaks something I'm not

To be honest, I've been minding for 15yrs now and the odd things that have got damaged or broken I wouldn't have claimed on my insurance anyway. We can claim 10% of our income for wear and tear and I have not found it an issuse at all.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my insurance with Layton Balckham - actually they are called something else now but can't remember what. I prefer to have the accidental damage in place. All the other companies i contacted either wouldn't do accidental damage or they wanted to charge through the roof. The insrance i have now for buildings and contents is actually cheaper than i was paying before i minded.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Cartledge View Post
    I have my insurance with Layton Balckham - actually they are called something else now but can't remember what. I prefer to have the accidental damage in place. All the other companies i contacted either wouldn't do accidental damage or they wanted to charge through the roof. The insrance i have now for buildings and contents is actually cheaper than i was paying before i minded.

I think they are Bluefin Penny.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Persoally I am with Bluefin for Motor and household insurance as I don't believe in paying an enhanced premium for business cover if it doesn't cover me fully for my particular busniness - I found it was much of a muchness price wise anyway. My Public Liability is with MM - because you can use your own contracts wth them and still avail of their inlusive Legal Assistance.
    Celest

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Brill, ours is due for renewal at the end of the month so I will have a look at them. You can really charge 10% for wear and tear? Thats a fab tip! (still waiting for the managing your business course the council runs so am a bit clueless).