Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NEW NCMA CONTRACTS : RE BANK HOLIDAYS

Hi guys,

Just got my new contracts delivered (has taken forever) and i have noticed they have been changed.

I have always charged for bank holidays, however, i dont provide care. It is the only time that i do, as i do not charge for 4 wks holiday etc that i believe some people do.

However, the new contracts no longer let you charge - and say that you have to work the public holidays if you are going to charge any fee whatsoever -

any help???

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NEW NCMA CONTRACTS : RE BANK HOLIDAYS

I thought the old ones said on the back you could only charge when you are working anyway just that soime people charge for BH anyway?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not ordered any for a while, but will for September.

I was waiting for them to be updated. Looks like another change. I don't charge for BHs as I don't want to work anyway
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

my last one said:
    registered childminders and parents should consider the holidays bla bla bla.......

when a statuatory holiday falls on a contracted day, a fee may be charge. Childminders will not normally be available for work on these days, but where a childminder is prepared to offer a service, a higher rate may apply.

it now says

"if thechildminder is charging a fee for statutory public holiday, the service MUST be available for use"

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge in full for bank holidays but dont work them.

I am available to work though but they would have to pay me double, no one has asked though

I read that bit of the contract as you cant charge for it and then say you are not willing to work it.

We went to Eurodisney over Easter weekend so I did not charge anyone for those bank holidays as I was not available to work.

I will charge for this coming Monday though as I am prepared to work it if needed but I would then require double fees and not just the single fee I charge for not working IYSWIM.

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I only charge when I am open and if I do work a bank hol its for children booked in only at double pay.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys xx

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for Bank Holidays but I'm always avaliable to work them.

I work every Bank Holiday anyhow for one family and recieve double pay (3 children! )

I guess I just carry on as normal then seeing as I'm willing to work them!
    Lucy

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought NCMA were trying to encourage us to take paid holidays and training days etc,however if their contracts are worded like this it doesn't sound very encouraging!

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd give them a call and ask them why they have made the changes as it goes against what they had in their hand book a few years ago (07) - I was going to re-join to see what changes have been made. I'm with MM and it doesn't say anything about that on their contracts and I can use my own contract and use their legal advice services - I just dont know what the NCMA are playing at!!!!!!!!!
    Celest

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taiwallis View Post
    my last one said:
    registered childminders and parents should consider the holidays bla bla bla.......

when a statuatory holiday falls on a contracted day, a fee may be charge. Childminders will not normally be available for work on these days, but where a childminder is prepared to offer a service, a higher rate may apply.

it now says

"if thechildminder is charging a fee for statutory public holiday, the service MUST be available for use"

hi i think i have gotthe new contract its ncma 12/08 please can you tell me where this is stated i need to read them more deeply thanks x

ok sorry ive found it and ive also rang ncma andfor contract information i was told to ring between 9am and 4pm,,,,0800 169 4486 so just missed them so i suggest a few of us ring tomorrow and see what they say xxxx
    Last edited by Andrea08; 28-04-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: found quote and to add tel. number

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We are all self employed people running our own businesses. Can they impose a clause in a contract without asking us? Surley that is our choice? Could we just cross through that clause if we dont want it?

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Why shouldn't we get paid? Parents get paid if that's a day that they normally work. It's not like we get a lot of benefits anyway is it, no pay when sick/holidays, 1/2 pay when parents on hols.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always charged for Bank Holidays (if they are a contracted day), but don't work them.
    Parents have never had any problem with it and I'll carry on doing that.

Pipsqueak Guest

I charge for BH but don't work them. It is the only paid holiday that I get or ask for. So for 5 days per year (is it five BH's???) or how ever many there are then I am sorry I don't think I will be changing my terms any time soon.

I am self employed and make my own terms and conditions.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

"I charge for BH but don't work them. It is the only paid holiday that I get or ask for. So for 5 days per year (is it five BH's???) or how ever many there are then I am sorry I don't think I will be changing my terms any time soon.

I am self employed and make my own terms and conditions."

You took the words right out of my mouth!! I'm the same!

TheBTeam Guest

I have just received a new pack of contracts from NCMA and it definitely now states on there that if we charge for a statutory public holiday then the service must be available!

I am surprised that they can do this, surely we have a right to take it as a
    paid holiday, if the parents agree.

I have emailed the NCMA to ask the reason behind such a change, lets see if and what they reply!
    Last edited by TheBTeam; 28-04-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont read it that we HAVE to work it to get paid but that we must be avaliable to work, which is fair enough.

Like I said before, I only charge for the bank holidays if I am able to work them if asked but if asked then I charge double which is enough to put most parents of lol

I also have a clause in my contract asking for 6 weeks notice if they require me to work a bank holiday. This then means that if I choose not to do it, I still have enough time to give them 4 weeks notice of not working that day. They cant just turn up at 8am without asking me 6 weeks before hand and paying the double fee.

If I am on holiday myself over that bank holiday then I do not charge.

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by berkschick View Post
    I dont read it that we HAVE to work it to get paid but that we must be avaliable to work, which is fair enough.

Like I said before, I only charge for the bank holidays if I am able to work them if asked but if asked then I charge double which is enough to put most parents of lol

I also have a clause in my contract asking for 6 weeks notice if they require me to work a bank holiday. This then means that if I choose not to do it, I still have enough time to give them 4 weeks notice of not working that day. They cant just turn up at 8am without asking me 6 weeks before hand and paying the double fee.

If I am on holiday myself over that bank holiday then I do not charge.
    So does this mean, that we have to be available, and if they use us they must pay, even if this is treble our normal rate. What then would they pay if they didn't use us, where would you put that normal rate is payable? This makes a mockery of you have to be available, but you can put parents off by charging an extortionate rate so that they will never pay it, but you will get your standard rate, if that is the case.

Previously, like the post above, these are the few days that i actually get as paid holiday, i do not want to work them under any circumstances, guess i may well have to forgo the money for them if that is what they are saying.

I would rather be paid for the bank holidays for the simple reason i am then getting a small amount of paid time off throughout the year. Previously when i have tried to get a week or two paid it has been just my luck the contracts finish just before and i end up with no paid holiday, the bank holiday route helped get some paid.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just put it in the notes section that it is full fee if a contracted day.

Its like chraging a retainer fee, that place has to be avaliable for the child to use if they need it but you are entitled to have notice that they want to come, they cant just show up.

Maybe I am reading it all wrong, I havent actually seen the new contracts yet. I wont be changing the way I do things though. Like you say, it is the only paid leave I get all year!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast