Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sand pits - pros and cons

Hi,

I am trying to make up my mind if I should get a sandpit in the garden or not
    It is big enough so space is not an issue, but was wondering if there are any reasons against it that I am not thinking of
    All I can remember is that I used to love playing in them when I was little (oh and eat the sand and put the sand into my hair so that I could pick it out of my hair again in the evening- weird isn't it?)

So please let me know your thoughts and experiences with having a sand pit in the garden. - things to look out for (like cats using it as catter litter tray...etc)

Thanks a lot
    Nicole xx

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sand pits - pros and cons

I'd say just cats to be honest - we had to throw away our old one as we have cats and my kids - much littler then - were rubbish at putting the lid back on again - so it got a bit mucky..... Now I havea sanpit on legs and chack it every evening. All the kids love it - it's the most popular thing in my garden

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by venus89 View Post
    I'd say just cats to be honest - we had to throw away our old one as we have cats and my kids - much littler then - were rubbish at putting the lid back on again - so it got a bit mucky..... Now I havea sanpit on legs and chack it every evening. All the kids love it - it's the most popular thing in my garden
    is that one of these sand and water tables?

I had a look at these too, but you can't sit in them, which is what I used to find so good about sand pits when I was little,...
    Nicole xx

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally hate sand I know the los like it so I take them to places they can play with it, but in my own garden it would get trailed everywhere and you find sand in places it shouldn't be! They throw it at each other and it gets wet and gooey and beasties grow in it and I don 't like the feel of it, I get goosebumps Are you guessing I don't like it much
    Ali xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those turtle sandpits with a lid. I was always worried about creepy crawlies getting in, so I put a shower curtain in the bottom of it (hanging out over the edge) and then put the sand in. At night I folded the shower curtain over the top & put the lid on. It seemed to work and the sand stayed clean & bug free.

Now I've got a picnic table type sand table. The kids love it and it makes much less mess.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Kids love sand pits, make sure you get one with a good lid, i have 2 cats, i make sure lid goes on as soon as they stop using it( kids i mean.. not cats )
    Give kids a brush off with your hand before they come in. Sorted!
    Needs to Zumba

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

found this and think it is really clever

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WOODEN-SAN...QQcmdZViewItem

it has a folding lid that makes 2 benches when opened....
    Nicole xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO thats wikid. they have one similar at our primary school
    Needs to Zumba

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    found this and think it is really clever

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WOODEN-SAN...QQcmdZViewItem

it has a folding lid that makes 2 benches when opened....
    O that looks good fun. you could dangle your feet in perfect if you got the money lol
    XX Jill XX

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have saved it to my favourits...there are a few things there that I will buy the day my registration cert comes through...hihi..shopping-spree
    Nicole xx

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

ls great but still wont keep the cat away LOL

i have a little apple one for now but i found thevrain to be the worst culprit as lid let some of the water in and there's no drainage!!!

my top tip is keep it far away from your door so the most of the sand will have fallen of their clothes before coming in and in a place that is shaded or that you can shade easily as they stay a long time by the sand pit!

i'm thinkig of having a digging mud pit!!! but still don't know what i can and can't do.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My sandpit is on legs and daughter loves it.

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

mine has a lid on but didn't fill it last year ... well I did but not with sand as had a mindee with severe eczema who was not allowed to play in sand so I used it for water, crazy foam and soil instead.

might be able to put sand in it this year pending on mindee, my own children are not bothered about sand anymore.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

We have one of the ones with two sides, one for water and one for sand. Its on legs (from ELC I think). Kids love it and spend ages playing there. I would agree about putting it well away from the door! The lid thing is important too of course but its a matter of remembering to put it back on at the end of the session.

My neighbour has one of the turtle sandpits that sit on the ground and whilst the children love it, it drives her potty with mess (after they have been sitting in it). She's not a CM though and finds most kids mess a little annoying!!!!!

Either way has Pro's and con's I think but would definately get one. The wooden one you are looking at looks fab
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a sand/water table but will only be using for water for a while until my garden is harscaped. Last summer the kids basically poured most of the sand in to the lawn - at least i will be able to brush it up from the hardscaping. I also found sand in very unusual places aorund the house because it just gets EVERYWHERE!!!! I had sand on the coffee table, the bathroom floor (upstairs), even in toy boxes.

Sticking to water play for a while - well at least IF we get warm enough weather.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Cartledge View Post
    I have a sand/water table but will only be using for water for a while until my garden is harscaped. Last summer the kids basically poured most of the sand in to the lawn - at least i will be able to brush it up from the hardscaping. I also found sand in very unusual places aorund the house because it just gets EVERYWHERE!!!! I had sand on the coffee table, the bathroom floor (upstairs), even in toy boxes.

Sticking to water play for a while - well at least IF we get warm enough weather.

My OH doesn't like it when sand gets on his oh so precious lawn so ours is on the decking area!!!
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

The sand does get everywhere im afraid! but the kids love it and its easy to sweep up. I wanted a sand/water table which i think are best but i was given a turtle one for free so couldnt say no, messier though as my little mindee sits in the middle! lol.
    I am going to buy some fresh sand today, apparantly they sell it coloured from homebase, Has anyone tried it ? bit worried it will stain my patio if wet!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I had one of those turtle sandpits with a lid. I was always worried about creepy crawlies getting in, so I put a shower curtain in the bottom of it (hanging out over the edge) and then put the sand in. At night I folded the shower curtain over the top & put the lid on. It seemed to work and the sand stayed clean & bug free.

Now I've got a picnic table type sand table. The kids love it and it makes much less mess.
    Is that the one from Argos? I intend buying one of these soon. Would you recommend them and how many bags of sand do they need?

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an ENORMOUS sand pit, nige dug it out with the jcb. It takes 3 tonnes of sand to top it up.

I don't cover it up and the cats have NEVER messed in it. I do of course check.

All the kids love it and they can all play in at once. Sand does get all over the place, but if this doesn't bother you I say go for it

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one on legs and the children are in it all year round. To be honest it's no worse keeping cats out of this than it is out of the flower/soil beds - you just have to keep checking.

Mine had a stretch cover which pooled with rain everytime it rained but now have just a bit of plastic board I put on top every night and put a chair or something on top to stop it blowing away.

It does get everywhere but it hoovers up fine. Think that's why legs might have the advantage on the ones you sit in so at least little bottoms won't make sandy sofas!

Given the hours of fun and learning sand and water provide they are well worth £30 or so and the sand is very cheap from tesco or B&Q.

Nx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast