Lap belts and car seats
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lady Haha Guest

Default Lap belts and car seats

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a car seat available that can be used with a lap belt? I have just got an 8 seater car and the middle seats and back seats both have a lapbelt in the middle. What do other people use for the lapbelt places? Children are all over the age of four btw. Two are small enough to go in harnessed seats, but are these allowed on lap belts????

Seems to be a waste of seats if I can't use them!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lap belts and car seats

I use a booster seat for my lap belt seat or my eldest sits there he is 11 and too tall for any form of a booster seat now.

I would put your tallest on the lap belt or one of your own children again pending on age.

Registered Childminder since
    Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8 seater with 2 lapbelts. I always ensure my own children sit in these seats, my 10 yr old without a booster block and my 7 or 9 yr old with.

I used to have concord fix max car seats from 9 months up to about 4 yrs that could be fitted with a lapbelt only.

I now have a Britax freeway that can also be secured with the lapbelt only, if I have one of the little ones with me then I put them in that in the middle seat.
    Lucy

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

britax eclipse/eclipse si can be used with a lap belt (9mth to 4 yrs) otherwise only backless booster seats can be used with lapbelts - like everyone else says put your own kids in these or much older kids.
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

Sep 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Britax Freeway which I use with a lap belt. I dont really like any seat with lap belt though dosent seem so safe as the others. Try not to use the car if I dont have too. Goodluck.

Lady Haha Guest

Thanks everyone, thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

yay another happy customer hee hee

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the britax eclipse/se can be used with a lap belt - but I went to mothercare to get them to fit it and she said she wouldnt advise it as the botom is anchored to the seat, but not at the top.
    So I have decided to not use the lap belt seats - I only have 3 at a time luckily - but Im thinking of either getting a 3point belt fitted, or will change my zafira to a newer version in a couple of years if I take on more thatn 3 at a time

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you not fit a top tether?

I personally wouldn't use a booster with a lap belt as I think lap belts are dangerous and certainly wouldn't allow my DD to use one in her CM's car previously.

Lady Haha Guest

mmmmm, a top tether sounds like a good idea! Just when I moved all the seats round again!!! I had two harnessed seats on the lapbelts, but I spent ten minutes out there today rearranging them all so that boosters are on the lapbelt places! I must admit, I like the top tether idea and now I will move them all back to where they were again!

Do you mean just threading something strong through the back of the seat to hold it to the back of the chair nearer to the top?

And as for not using the car if I didn't need to, I only really really need to use it when I HAVE got that many kids! I could walk with less kids, but then I wouldn't need the extra seats....

TheBTeam Guest

Smile Re: Lap belts and car seats

Just a word of warning be sure to check the fitting instructions for your particular boosters as a lot of them can't be used with lap belts only, they require a full three point harness.

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackandsparkly View Post
    mmmmm, a top tether sounds like a good idea! Just when I moved all the seats round again!!! I had two harnessed seats on the lapbelts, but I spent ten minutes out there today rearranging them all so that boosters are on the lapbelt places! I must admit, I like the top tether idea and now I will move them all back to where they were again!

Do you mean just threading something strong through the back of the seat to hold it to the back of the chair nearer to the top?

And as for not using the car if I didn't need to, I only really really need to use it when I HAVE got that many kids! I could walk with less kids, but then I wouldn't need the extra seats....
    I meant something like you can get for isofix carseat

like this

http://www.babybyes.com/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/TSX028506