Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you drive??

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you drive??

just wanted some opinions really. I drive but currently don't have a car, use my partners at weekends and evenings

I plan to walk to school as its nearby and its a nightmare for parking
    but i'm thinking its probably best to get a car?? for days out etc?
    Do you drive? is it a nightmare childminding without one?

amirose Guest

Default Re: Do you drive??

Quote Originally Posted by ke30 View Post
    just wanted some opinions really. I drive but currently don't have a car, use my partners at weekends and evenings

I plan to walk to school as its nearby and its a nightmare for parking
    but i'm thinking its probably best to get a car?? for days out etc?
    Do you drive? is it a nightmare childminding without one?
    I don't drive and have not yet found it a problem, children love to go on the buses and trains - its a novelty as most parents drive their children around these days. Its also good exercise walking to school (me included )

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on where you live. It would be a nightmare not driving around here as the school is too far to walk (and there are no pavements on most of the route) and the buses take ages as they go around all the villages.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive either,but have a very understanding Hubby and a very very very good friend and neighbour Carolyn who I go out with all the time lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am lucky there are most things locally like shops, toddlers, ducks etc.

I hardly ever use my car for work.

It does depend on where you live though.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I also can drive but don't have a car, but can use my partners in the evenings and weekends etc.

I plan to get a car eventually, but I want to save up and buy it outright instead of getting finance.

It's a short walk to our school and parking is hell so I wouldn't drive there even if I had loads of children, but it would be useful for days out, but then I'm lucky I can ask my parnter to work from home once in a while as he has the flexability.
    ''We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.''

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only reason I have business insurance on my car is if my children are ill as afterall if my DD had an ear infection and needed to stay off school (she has them every 2kws in winter) then having to walk to school would be a nightmare so I have insured my car on an incase basis. However the parents were really pleased that we walk everywhere and get public transport
    Paula

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got rid of my people carrier last year cos it rarely got used as we walked everywhere. Cant say i miss it other than during the hols but then can get hubby to work from home and use our family car if i have something planned.
    Fiona xx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends where you live. I have to have one as I live on a busy road with no footpaths (council estimate 10 years to put one in ) risk assessment too dangerous to walk half a dozen kiddies along a road with lorries and cars doing in excess of the 40 mph speed limit.

Where I used to live we walked everywhere - I wish I was still able to

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

ok you've all convinced me
    i like the idea of walking and using public transport, i'm lucky where i live, everything close by big parks, shops, schools and chester city center is only5 mins by bus
    was just having a wobble lol, thinking about going to the beach etc
    we went to the beach on Sunday, was totally freezing but was nice kicking the ball about and walking, and i thought i would like to take the kids ( when i get some) but couldn't get there without a car. But i suppose there's a million other things we can do locally

Feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you maybe get your hubbys car insured for minding just in the summer?
    I don't drive but OH's car is insured (really just for emergencies but if there's ever a time he's off and I have less than 3 kiddies I'll be taking full advantage ) ofsted inspector said as long as I have parental permission they were fine with this

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a lot of variables here. I use my car when the weather is horrid or I need it for speed.

In the holidays we go out and about and regularly take off for the day to the beach or longleat which are up to 2 hours driving.

School runs I use them because it is a nightmare taking 3 under 2's on the road first thing in the morning but in the afternoon we walk.

Just depends on what you do and where you go.

My 8 seater is always full and I regularly (holidays) ask other minders for transportation.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive... but have a great bus service close by, plus a common, a park, toddlers group, drop in centre, chemist, fruit and veg shop, post office all within 10 minutes walk.

As already said - depends where you live
    Jen

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have a car but prefer to walk everywhere cause its easier than getting 3 under 5's in and out of the car! also i only have an estate so b4 and after school and holidays we couldnt all fit in the car, did consider a 7 seater but then we would only fill it in the holidays and somtimes my parents have my two for the odd week and we and the parents have holidays so for the few weeks a year i would use it it just wasnt worth the expense, plus what happens if i then get antother child and have too many for the car anyway
    we do things like go to the libary, park, go blackberry picking, over the woods for a bug hunt, etc in the hols and in the week its toddlergroups and parks and libary all of which are within a mile of home so within walking distance with buggy and buggy board, most of mine at the mo are used to walking but when i have a child who don't walk anywhere i just gradually build up how far they can walk, never had a parent mone that i don't have a car so don't see a problem with it myself.

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a car and use it once a week at the mo!!!
    i walk everywhere, with a double if needed - weather doesnt stop us as thats what rain macs, waterproof bottoms and wellies and gloves and hats and scarfs were made for!!!!!!!
    yes it is great for days out, but to be honest these are likely to be the summer hols arent they?? look into coaches going to places, hiring a car (check out their ins etc parental permission etc).
    there are lots of options.
    walking is promoting health plus you can play alol sort of look out games en route. as long as you use appropriate buggies/reins etc you'll be fine.
    i have a side by side double with a buggyboard attached - do get some smiles when we're out n about!!!
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

as others have said it depends where you live im lucky ive got everything close at hand and a bus service to get easily into the nearest big town. i dont drive yet but have just started to learn. cant imagine taking lots of kids in the car yet but will see how it goes

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive. Get to most places on foot or by bus or train. CM friends sometimes give lift if we have arranged a day out, all insured, car seats etc and permission from parents. Usually one of my back up minders so kids know them and other children too.

Some places impossible, but locally the parking in town is murder so better off out of it!

Wellies and waterproofs in winter
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a driving licence but haven't driven for about 10 years. I haven't found it a huge problem but have missed out on a couple of things due to not having wheels. I wouldn't want to start driving again though without doing a refresher course. Apart from that I couldn't afford the course, a car or the running costs!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't survive without my car We live in a small village and whilst there are lots of nature things to do there is nothing else. School runs are always walking as even though I have a 7 seater I don't have enough room. If you live close to Chester city centre I would say you wouldn't need one as there is plenty to do. Plus you will be able to meet us when we have our forum get togethers at Chester Zoo

LOOPYLISA Guest

Apart from a lovely big park/green we have to walk a long way to town/libary/shops/toddler groups/school we have a 7 seater and i will use that, as above it just depends on where you live x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast