Bad weather policy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad weather policy?

Hi i was wondering if anyone has a bad weather policy which states they will not transport children in severe weather conditions (snow or Gail force winds and torrential (sp?) rain?) For the safety of my own child the childminded children and myself? I didnt think the childrens parent would go to college today due to bad snow but she has which has leftme with 3 school runs to do and my baby who already has a cold. Just wondered if i could make a policy and if were allowed to say we wont transport children in these conditions?
    Thanks for reading

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad weather policy?

as for collection and/or drop offs to the home i won't be doing it anyway, i'm a childminder not a taxi.

from the school, then if we are contracted to collect guess we have to, i don't think i'll be doing a policy for it as it's just common sense, however i'd much rather be in a car than walking in severe weather as it's better protection against the weather AND other drivers

if the weather is that severe then most schools close??
    IS BACK

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't because how would they get home from school? I would have to collect my DD anyway.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    as for collection and/or drop offs to the home i won't be doing it anyway, i'm a childminder not a taxi. from the school, then if we are contracted to collect guess we have to, i don't think i'll be doing a policy for it as it's just common sense, however i'd much rather be in a car than walking in severe weather as it's better protection against the weather AND other drivers

if the weather is that severe then most schools close??
    some parents don;t drive and having a childminder that can collect is very important to them!

I do have a bad weather policy (have pm'd you) some of us do collect and drop off as part of contract due to circumstances I have closed for the day, but if they are able to get to me then I will take the children, but it is their responsiblty to collect them at the end of the day too!!! so for example because the schools are closed I am unable to do the collection as of the risks, also do a risk assesment too for today, so if they moan to much you can say look here please

hope this helps

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    some parents don;t drive and having a childminder that can collect is very important to them!
    yes but that is your own decision to offer that service, i personally won't be and i don't think any of the local childminders do.

you need to decide what works best for you, at the end of the day you are running your own business and they don't run in the same way.
    i suppose you also need to take into account where you live, i can imagine it being very difficult in rural areas, luckily most local buese stop outside my house, and the local train service has a stop just 2/3 min walk away
    IS BACK

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do a bad weather policy but would include this (type of weather) in my risk assessments, which I am presently doing anyhow.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    yes but that is your own decision to offer that service, i personally won't be and i don't think any of the local childminders do.

you need to decide what works best for you, at the end of the day you are running your own business and they don't run in the same way.
    i suppose you also need to take into account where you live, i can imagine it being very difficult in rural areas, luckily most local buese stop outside my house, and the local train service has a stop just 2/3 min walk away
    what are local run buses one every ohh 2hours I think

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    I agree and its part of my inclusion policy that I will collect/drop if the parent needs me too (not just because the parents want an extra half hour in bed though, there has to be a valid reason). I collect on the way to school a mindee who lives on the way, this takes a lot of hassle out of her moms morning but doesn't add any to mine.