Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: cooking group

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cooking group

I currently run an allotment group for the local childrens centre and are due to move indoors in a couple of weeks, my plan is to start a cooking group with the parents and children

now the children and parents who attend have very basic skills in most areas so i want something simple but healthy, we have 2 hours to prepare, cook and clean up so we need simple recipes

the children range from babies to school age, i was thinking things like, mash with flavourings like mustard or cheese, i know this is very basic but after doing the allotment group some mums did not even know half the veg we grew

Any help would be greatfully recieved
    Susan

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cooking group

My first thought was maybe a quiche with ready made pastry case? Even I can do that and I'm a right dimwit in the kitchen - you should see my cakes! Ha ha!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a sausage plait? Mind you, that only takes a few mins with ready made pastry!

Can you see a theme developing with my recipes! Shows what a rubbish cook I am!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

How about some lovely homemade vegetable soup. Very healthy, very cheap and can use some of your excellent produce.

For a very simple soup all you need is a couple of medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, 2 or 3 carrots and a stock cube. Peel and chop all the veg, put in a pan with a pint of water and the stock cube and simmer for 20 to 30 mins. Mash or blend if you want a smoother consistency (I find children prefer smooth soups) then if it is a bit thick add either some more water (though I usually add milk to make it a creamy soup) and adjust the seasoning. If you grew any herbs like parsley or thyme you could add a little whilst cooking.

You can add other veg's too. Butternut squash is good, as are parsnips and other root veg.
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere