Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Calpol

Registered Childminder since
    Sep 07
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calpol

I just quickly read somewhere on the boards that as a Childminder - we are unable to give Calpol. Is this right? Could somebody please explain?
    I've never had to give it but if a parent asked and gave written permission, is it that I can't give it as it isn't prescribed.
    Confused.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Calpol

Hi when my daughter was in nursery & had calpol it was fine for them to give it to her as i'd written permission.

Hope this is right. I'm sure the others will let you know

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Calpol

as long as you have written permission and a signature in you accident book i think its ok

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got it in writing from parent and I also give her a ring first, just to make sure she hasnt already given him some before bringing him to me.

I write in my medication book and his personal diary what time I gave him and exactly how much. Parent then signs when she picks him up

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is something to do with your new EYFS! Perhaps one of the other English minders will be along to confirm

amanda xx

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

yes Amanda's right. when the eyfs comes into force, sept 08, we are not allowed to give medicines unless prescribed from the doctor.

BUT - I do believe there are some changes afoot and I think that this is to be looked at, so it's a case of watch this space!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carolinel View Post
    yes Amanda's right. when the eyfs comes into force, sept 08, we are not allowed to give medicines unless prescribed from the doctor.

BUT - I do believe there are some changes afoot and I think that this is to be looked at, so it's a case of watch this space!
    Yes Caroline is right, we were told that as from Sept we would only be able to give calpol if prescribed by a Doctor. Some of my parents were not pleased i can tell you! I wonder if it also applies to teething gel? Gp's are going to be thrilled at all the extra patients just wanting calpol prescriptions!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carolinel View Post

Thanks Caroline!! See I do take note of what you all say! Lol

amanda xx

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know about this...how ridiculous!! Parents AND doctors arent going to be pleased wasting time getting scrips for teething babies are they! And how are we going to feel when we've got a poor little baby in pain and no way of soothing it?? Stupid ****** government really get my back up sometimes.

Sx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schnakes View Post
    I didnt know about this...how ridiculous!! Parents AND doctors arent going to be pleased wasting time getting scrips for teething babies are they! And how are we going to feel when we've got a poor little baby in pain and no way of soothing it?? Stupid ****** government really get my back up sometimes.

Sx
    Yup!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's true, It really is silly. I know they are just looking out for the child's safety but it seems ridiculous. I guess then, if the child has a temp or needs teething gel we'd best ring the parents to come out of work and give their child it themselves!
    Wouldn't go down too well, what else are we meant to do, the poor child will suffer.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's hope it's one of the things they change, cos if not I think Ofsted are going to be inundated with enquiries about how to best care for an ill but not too ill for parents to go to work child...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but how many of us will igore these stupid rules and still continue to give out medication if it is needed

I know what I would do if I had a screaming child who was teething - rule or no rule !!

Angel xx

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All

According to the DHC course that I am currently on they have said that any calpol and teething gels are not to be administered without a GP now.Has to be presciption only
    This will be great fun when you have them teething ay?

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree angel who of us is go to leave a baby with a high temp while mum gets a scrip.
    don't forget to log not only the medication but the use by date and the batch number in your medication book though

Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that your insurance will be invalid if anything happens to a child that you have given the calpol to if the calpol wasn't subscribed by the GP as you would not be following the EYFS

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone can be absolutely sure until the revisions come out what the new rules are going to be...

TBH I wouldn't worry about it just yet, there's plenty of time between now and September to make our feelings known - both to Ofsted and getting the info from the insurance companies...

Sep 07
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for replying. I can't really get onto a computer in the evening so have just seen the replies.
    Personally, I'm lucky that at the moment - I don't have any babies/toddlers but what a ****** stupid rule if that comes into force from September.
    I've got an EYFS briefing session on Saturday morning so I'm also going to ask the question then.
    Am I assuming then they we are talking about ANY medicine not prescribed by a doctor (e.g. cough and cold medicines etc)?

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep...everything...inclusive of nappy cream!
    Tasha